Guest soiled mattress and left a smell of smoke

Answered!

Guest soiled mattress and left a smell of smoke

I need help, I am a nursing student who decided to use part of my house as Airbnb and it has been one of my worst decisions. I had a guest who let a terrible smoke smell in my house, I had to pay $200 for a cleaning service/ odour removal. He also soiled my mattress to a place of no return, I called Airbnb immediately and told them I will be discarding the mattress and customer service said do that and make a claim. Now the mattress has been discarded, Airbnb is saying they will not pay for  a new mattress and I should instead have it cleaned and for the smoke smell  they are not going to pay for that either (I need to show them proof that the house smell of smoke, how can I possibly show pictures of smell😥). I could not leave a review for this guest because I was busy following up with Airbnb  and I saw he did similar things to other host so please be careful guys. My question is how do I show proof of smoke smell or is this all bs from Airbnb 

1 Best Answer
Cristina860
Level 4
Orcutt, CA

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience with a guest. I recommend investing in 1-2 layers of mattress protection, including a zipping plastic liner that covers the entire mattress, and another mattress cover with elastic corners that lays on top of the first layer, but under the sheets. 

Have you considered asking the cleaning company who took care of the odor to write a receipt that explains their cleaning process? You will need photo proof of all the problems the guest caused, including the mattress.

You can start a claim that requires the guest to pay for the damages directly from the reservation details. You can attach photos, receipts for the cleaning and replacement items, and any other proof you may have. If the guest doesn't pay, and you have all of your proof, ABNB will speak with the guest on your behalf or reimburse you. If you have no photo proof and receipts, you will not be able to make a claim. 

Always keep receipts, and take before and after photos of anything that you purchase for your ABNB. 

Best of luck!

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Magret3 

I've clarified your post title and moved it over to our Optimise your Listing board so that our lovely fellow hosts can give you some advice.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If you found out this guest has done a similar thing after the fact, why didn't you do so before accepting his reservation?

At any rate Airbnb has a most reluctant 'insurance' coverage, I could only imagine the abuses to it if they didn't. Every insurance is really a shared cost among all participants in it, so if they didn't have a 'like-pulling-teeth' attitude I do not think we will be paying only 3% as hosts, so I consider that very-low 3% allowing money to buy my own insurance. Yes, granted the way it is worded is a bit too 'dreamy'.

Because it was a new account when he booked with me, days after checking out I saw other bad reviews from other guest. I guess you did not really understand my question.  I don’t think your personal insurance will cover things like a guest smoking in the house( if so I will like to know the insurance company you use ), I believe that it should be Airbnb covering that, in my case nothing  was covered and I was left to take care of the whole cost myself. I am glad you have had all wonderful experience with Airbnb and I hope you continue to have. 

I do get your meaning @Magret3, a bit of help would have served everyone so much better. I have also had a few loses along the way. Safe journeys.

Cristina860
Level 4
Orcutt, CA

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience with a guest. I recommend investing in 1-2 layers of mattress protection, including a zipping plastic liner that covers the entire mattress, and another mattress cover with elastic corners that lays on top of the first layer, but under the sheets. 

Have you considered asking the cleaning company who took care of the odor to write a receipt that explains their cleaning process? You will need photo proof of all the problems the guest caused, including the mattress.

You can start a claim that requires the guest to pay for the damages directly from the reservation details. You can attach photos, receipts for the cleaning and replacement items, and any other proof you may have. If the guest doesn't pay, and you have all of your proof, ABNB will speak with the guest on your behalf or reimburse you. If you have no photo proof and receipts, you will not be able to make a claim. 

Always keep receipts, and take before and after photos of anything that you purchase for your ABNB. 

Best of luck!

thank you. I have a proof of the cleaning service and pictures. The main reason why I had the house cleaned was because of the smell of smoke, the reimbursement agent(**) is asking me to show proof that the house smell of smoke, the invoice from the cleaning company had been submitted and  she refused to look into the case, I have asked to be transferred to another agent since I thought she was quite on fair but have gotten no response about that.  I really am exhausted from the back and forth .

**[Name hidden due to privacy concerns - Community Center Guidelines]