HOW to write the listing

Answered!

HOW to write the listing

I am making a new listing today but only see the 500 word limit for my listing.  Everything else is yes/no or checks/lists.  I know I should be able to really describe my space, note things, etc, but I literally do not see where to do it in the set up process.  Help???  (My space is active, so my listing is live and I just go into it for edits, if that makes a difference). Thank you SO much for whatever help you can give.  :). Bri

1 Best Answer

@Bri12841@Matthew1342 

This is a bit confusing isn't it! As mentioned by @Mike-And-Jane0 , many of the listing sections will not be available for editing until you publish it.

CAUTION!

Read this Airbnb Help Article BEFORE you publish!

Understanding your new listing settings before you publish

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3107 

Airbnb automatically defaults some of your settings after you publish. You may wish to change those before accepting guests. Some defaulted settings include:

• Instant Book is ON (you may not want this)
  • No dates are blocked on your calendar (I would change this)

I suggest as soon as you hit "publish", immediately go to your Calendar Availability and select "unavailable by default". This blocks your calendar to prevent guests from booking until you have a chance to edit your listing and add important information. After you are satisfied with your listing, you can change your calendar availability and open up dates for bookings.

Availability Calendar.png

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Bri12841 

Don't worry you'll find as you proceed that you will have lots more space to describe your listing but that first section where only 500 word limit (includes spaces ) is where you need to describe the best features of your place and imagine that someone is not going to read further than that.

I have used bullet points in this section and if it helps feel free to go onto my profil where you will see what I mean.  Keep in mind that guests don't like reading a dissertation and some only look at the pictures so it's a good idea to leave comments under your photos to explain size of bed for example or any other useful information of your space.

Good luck!

Joëlle

@Joelle43 @Thanks for your reply.  :). I hear you that people don't want to read a TON.  I just am not able to write anything in any other area. 

So my listing literally is like 4 lines long and then has nothing else.  😞

I guess I can write captions under the photos; I just know I am missing something technically and I can't figure it out.  😞

Thanks for your help.  🙂

Bri

Hi @Joan2709 ,
I also am struggling with setting up my listing. I have found some of the hidden menus. But still cannot find where to get to :
1) "The Space" - for the longer description beyond the 500 character basic description. NO it's not enough. My competition has more, I would like the access too. I pay the same amount after all.
2) "Info for Guests" -  I cannot find it. Does it only appear after you "Publish"

3)Other things to know - Does it only appear after you "Publish"

4) how to preview everything. The preview in the standard setup does not verify cancelation, rules, etc,, It just has pictures and the 500 bit description.
Thank you for any guidance!

@Matthew1342 Lots more stuff is available once you publish.

Hi @Matthew1342 

Were you able to review the information I sent? If you have more questions, you can come back here or send a private message and we'll be glad to help you! 😊

@Bri12841@Matthew1342 

This is a bit confusing isn't it! As mentioned by @Mike-And-Jane0 , many of the listing sections will not be available for editing until you publish it.

CAUTION!

Read this Airbnb Help Article BEFORE you publish!

Understanding your new listing settings before you publish

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3107 

Airbnb automatically defaults some of your settings after you publish. You may wish to change those before accepting guests. Some defaulted settings include:

• Instant Book is ON (you may not want this)
  • No dates are blocked on your calendar (I would change this)

I suggest as soon as you hit "publish", immediately go to your Calendar Availability and select "unavailable by default". This blocks your calendar to prevent guests from booking until you have a chance to edit your listing and add important information. After you are satisfied with your listing, you can change your calendar availability and open up dates for bookings.

Availability Calendar.png

Thank you @Joan2709 .  I eventually gave up trying to get the details in and just published, then stumbled upon the option later on of adding in more details.

Your explanation is spot on; I wish the directions from AirBnb included that information so it was known from the start.

Thank you for your help.  🙂

Bri

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Bri12841 , 

Did you manage to fill in the details for your new listing as Joelle suggested?

I also wanted to share a few resources that might help a bit to create attractive listings and compelling descriptions: How to set up an effective listing page.

Hope the above resources help!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

So I read the 'read' about setting up an effective house listing and it spoke about putting details in the 'house rules' section.  I cannot WRITE anything in the rules section.  I can't write anywhere.  It's all yes/no with things x'd.  I am attaching what I see when I try to edit.

Every option that I open under 'edit', I only have the option for the check/x...I am not allowed to write anything.  😞

Again, ty (anyone) for your help.  🙂

Briscreen shot of my listing edit options.screen shot of my listing edit options.

Hello @Bri12841 

This post is marked as being solved except it sounds like you still seem to be struggling with adding your house rules.  If so here is where you can add them:

In host mode,

==>Menu

==>Info for guests

==>Post booking details

==>House manual

You can also add information elsewhere on pretty much the same subject:

==>Menu

==>Policy and rules

==>Additional rules

Don't hesitate to go into all of the sections that appear in the menu list and then these have sub sections too so there is a lot of information to grasp and it's important to familiarise yourself with them so that your listing contains all the appropriate info you want your guests to know and to protect yourself as a host.

If you're still looking for areas to write something about your listing:

==Menu

==>Listing Details

==>Listing description

And

==>Menu

==>Location

==>Neighbourhood description

I hope this answers your question Bri!

Good luck and happy hosting

Joëlle