Host Cancellation question

Answered!
Deoni0
Level 2
Jeffreys Bay, South Africa

Host Cancellation question

I host two airbnb properties - my apartment, which I have been hosting since 2017 and have superhost status for. 
My husband asked that I get our permanent property airbnb ready, this is the second booking, so we can rent it out over holidays.

We got a booking for 10 days, which is a month from now but we need to cancel due to very unfortunate circumstances. Will I lose superhost status on both properties if I cancel the booking of our home or only on the one I am having to cancel?

I worked so hard to get superhost status for my apartment and will be gutted to lose it. 

1 Best Answer

@Deoni0 Superhost criteria rate the host not the property so by cancelling you will lose this and it will not show against either property. It will take a year+ before you get the rating back if you cancel.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why do you need to cancel?

If your reason for cancelling meets Airbnb's exceptional circumstances policy for host to then you can provide evidence  and cancel penalty free. @Deoni0 

if not you will lose your. SH status .

Deoni0
Level 2

Our reasons doesn’t meet their exceptional circumstances, but it is bad enough for us to not being able to honour this booking, as much as it pains me.

My question though is concerning my other booking, which I am not cancelling and have super host status on, and if I would lose that if cancelling this ‘newly listed’ property. I have two properties, the one I am needing to cancel doesn’t have superhost status. But I am worried to lose it on the one I have been working at so faithfully for 6 years. 

@Deoni0 Superhost criteria rate the host not the property so by cancelling you will lose this and it will not show against either property. It will take a year+ before you get the rating back if you cancel.

Deoni0
Level 2

Hi Mike, 

Thank you so much for the clarity, that makes sense. 

Hi @Deoni0 

Hope this helps you with your concern. Depending on your cancellation reason, Airbnb may remove cancellation penalties if a Host needs to cancel. My best recommendation is to check with Airbnb what docs you will need to provide in order for them to waive the penalties that may apply once you cancel. 

Possible Exceptions: EC policy for Host. Airbnb may offer some leniency for cancellations due to extenuating circumstances. If you have a valid reason (like a family emergency, natural disaster, or other unforeseen events), Airbnb might not count this cancellation against your Superhost status. It's important to communicate with Airbnb and provide any necessary documentation.

Have a great night! 😊

Deoni0
Level 2

Thank you Alicia for your lovely reply, everyone has been so helpful and kind, so appreciate it. Have a great weekend ahead. 

Hi. What if you kindly ask your guest to cancel on their side, then you fully refund them? That way you can still maintain your SH status. Just a thought!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You could but the guest would lose their Airbnb fee and many won't want to do this as there is no guarantee the host will refund @Vahid23