How to improve?

Answered!
Katrina367
Level 2
Portland, OR

How to improve?

I have a little bungalow in Portland, OR that has received glowing reviews from guests. I can only rent for a month at a time so obviously there are fewer prospective guests, but I did nicely through my first year. I took house off Airbnb to rent to a neighbor, and I've had zero interest since putting it back out there last month. I know it's been winter, but... no hits? The location is walkable, central, quiet, private, comfy bed, great cooking kitchen with gas stove, it's super clean, the garden is fun to sit in. It's an older house but with a lot of charming details like a clawfoot tub (with organic bubblebath!), vintage-modern style, natural materials, and great light. So, what's might I do to improve things? I only have a window AC (not yet in position to purchase heat pump system) and the driveway is not available during the day in May and October because I need it for work during those months. (My work space is in the little house behind the main house.) The driveway's still available at night for renters, though, which is when most people need it.

Can anyone tell me what you see that I might improve? Photos? Amenities? Language?

Thank you so much!

http://www.airbnb.com/h/vintage-bungalow-buckman

1 Best Answer
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Katrina367 ,

The pictures are amazing, the pricing is competitive, and even the minimum 1-month stay requirement isn't holding you back, as most of the properties around you have a minimum one-month stay (some have a minimum 14-day stay, something to consider). Additionally, the title you've chosen, "Vintage Charm in Vibrant Walkable Neighborhood," is welcoming. Even the text is descriptive and friendly, explaining exactly what to expect (spoiler: the chickens...).

Yet, despite my efforts, I couldn't find your property in a single search.

The only issue that might be causing this is that the property is not classified correctly. It is classified as a tiny home, which I believe undervalues its real worth, given how magnificent the space is and certainly not tiny. A tiny house is something else entirely. It might be more appropriate to classify it as an "entire home," which describes it better.

Please work to change your classification as soon as you can.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

Have you looked at the insights available?  Are you not showing up in searches or  showing up but guests choose elsewhere?      You have to know why you aren't getting the outcome you  want to know if you want to change anything.

Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Katrina367 ,

The pictures are amazing, the pricing is competitive, and even the minimum 1-month stay requirement isn't holding you back, as most of the properties around you have a minimum one-month stay (some have a minimum 14-day stay, something to consider). Additionally, the title you've chosen, "Vintage Charm in Vibrant Walkable Neighborhood," is welcoming. Even the text is descriptive and friendly, explaining exactly what to expect (spoiler: the chickens...).

Yet, despite my efforts, I couldn't find your property in a single search.

The only issue that might be causing this is that the property is not classified correctly. It is classified as a tiny home, which I believe undervalues its real worth, given how magnificent the space is and certainly not tiny. A tiny house is something else entirely. It might be more appropriate to classify it as an "entire home," which describes it better.

Please work to change your classification as soon as you can.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that -- thank you! I had it classified last year as a "bungalow" but I had switched it to "cottage" and "tiny home" (both, I thought!) but I will take your advice and give "entire home" a try. Thank you! I truly appreciate your kind words, too. A lot.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Katrina367  Your place is absolute perfection! I love it! I don't think there's much to be improved. Hosts so often forget that the travel and hospitality industry is all about supply and demand. Many markets are oversaturated with short term rentals, and travel trends have changed so much in recent years. First the pandemic, and then the rebound. I think we're still in rebound mode. 

That being said, I don't think there's much for you to do. Have you thought about the travel-nurse market? Are you anywhere near a hospital? I'm thinking about your 30-day limitation, and who you should target as guests. Traveling nurses would be great. There's a sight called Furnished Finders. I haven't used it but it's focused on longer-term rentals. You might want to investigate that. 

Don't make the mistake that many hosts do, which is to lower your price. It's already quite reasonable, and if you go too cheap, you get bottom-feeder guests, and then bad things happen. Besides, lowering prices doesn't fix the supply and demand issue. 

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!  

Thanks for your reply -- that's helpful, and I'll look into FF as well, if I am not connecting with guests through Airbnb this spring. I know what you mean about lowering the price -- the only time I meaningfully lowered my price on Airbnb, I experienced exactly what you described. Everyone else has been absolutely wonderful, paying the normal prices. So I'll take heart, and develop a backup plan. Thank you so much!

I don't have the 30 day requirement but since my town is not a vacation spot haha most of my guests are with me for long work commitments.  I only do rooms in my house but I always ask my guests for ideas.  Last year the suggestion was about a good sitting chair in the bedrooms.  This year I have been working on a full length mirror in the bedrooms and a corner bookcase for family pictures just so they can personalize a bit.  Since I am Arizona and have a lot of contract employees that are from Mexico, we added a tortilla press and pan to the kitchen.  Your best resource is ideas from good guests, it brings them back and helps me market.  I spent $8 for a Spanish Instapot cookbook.  Sometimes it is just little things.