How to prevent infants from being booked on Instant Book?

Answered!
Jennifer1037
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

How to prevent infants from being booked on Instant Book?

Hi there--our house isn't suitable for infants, but Airbnb only has a way to check that off on house rules. It seems as if people shouldn't be able to pull up my house in a search process when searching with an infant, but Airbnb doesn't seem to have that feature. It isn't helpful for guests or hosts, because it puts me in an awkward position to have to cancel on them. Without seeming rude on my main first blurb, is there another way to prevent infants from being booked? (It's not a safety thing--it's that we share a wall with the basement apartment and, over 8 years, have found that it is not worth being woken up by crying infants)

1 Best Answer
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I just put it down into my house rules. Something like "Infants are not allowed. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Airbnb is not allowed to "discriminate" against infants, so people can still book your listing no matter if you toggled infant friendly or not. However, if you have it in your house rules, that strongly reduces the chance someone will book with infants. Since you can actually enforce your house rules. 

This toggle does nothing:

Zheng49_2-1713552797188.png

Even if it's not suitable for infants, guests can still see and book your room without issues, and it's technically not part of your house rules. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Bettye6
Level 10
McHenry, IL

Hi Jennifer,

I live right below the apartment I rent out to guests & never had a problem with overly hearing infants. 
if know one in this community can supply an answer perhaps call AirBnB support. 
I would have in clearly mentioned in your description & rules as I needed to do this as I do not allow pets. I had a guest bring their dog saying they did not see No Pets though I had toggled No Pets.
Now mentioned multiple times on my listing & since then never had a problem. 
Hope this helps!

Bettye6

Thank you for your thorough reply! This is helpful!

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I just put it down into my house rules. Something like "Infants are not allowed. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Airbnb is not allowed to "discriminate" against infants, so people can still book your listing no matter if you toggled infant friendly or not. However, if you have it in your house rules, that strongly reduces the chance someone will book with infants. Since you can actually enforce your house rules. 

This toggle does nothing:

Zheng49_2-1713552797188.png

Even if it's not suitable for infants, guests can still see and book your room without issues, and it's technically not part of your house rules. 

Thanks so much--very helpful!!

Sara-And-Rob0
Level 3
Bern, Switzerland

Hi Jennifer,  we have the same issue, no kids, especially free infants up to 2 years (which is not an infant they are a toddler and toddlers toddle...and make a mess that we then clean up for free).

We have the details of age restrictions clearly outlined in our 'Other Things to Note' section because guests can see this pre-booking, if they read that far down.  If they book after that, you can ask them to cancel within 48 hours for a full refund.  You shouldn't need to cancel from your side as this would penalize you.  If you call support, they should be able to cancel the booking or eliminate the request without penalty to you.  

Caveat, not all support agents are created equal and may offer contradictory recommendations to those above...I might have gotten lucky a couple of times with informed agents.

This is super helpful--thank you!! Great suggestion!