Is there a formal written unregistered guests policy

Answered!
Zojka0
Level 4
Skopje, North Macedonia

Is there a formal written unregistered guests policy

Does AirBnB have a policy stated anywhere that guests cannot bring unregistered overnight visitors? Is is written anywhere? Is it communicated to guests in any way? 

Macedonia and Beyond
1 Best Answer
18 Replies 18

@Zojka0   As fas as I know Airbnb do not have anything written down.  I write in my rules that only guests listed on the reservation are allowed into the apartment. You could double-down by adding no visitors, no overnight guests.  Or, you can add a charge for extra guests, if you do not mind, in your pricing.

All this text is and can be added by the host, but I always worry that adding charge for extra guests may encourage people to bring more people than the house can fit.

AirBnB needs to put this rule in writing and communicate it to guests up front. Why they are reluctant to do that I do not understand. Leaving it to the host to deal with disgruntled guests does not help anyone - it is a recipe for conflict

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

This is not an AirBNB policy. You would need to include this information in your house rules. However, the definition of "overnight" can be complicated, so I would recommend that you state something that includes the hours, such as from 11pm to 8pm, no unregistered may be in our home.

I had a guest who had an unregistered guest visit from 4am-7:30am, which she didn't consider overnight. Thank goodness, this is the only person who pulled this kind of stunt.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

The closest thing in writing I have found is the Host Guarantee is void if they have unregistered guests not on the booking.

III. Limitations and Exclusions

8. any fees that may be charged to a Guest by a Host for additional individuals invited to, or otherwise provided access to, the Covered Accommodation who are not included in the Guest’s booking of such Covered Accommodation.

Do you have a URL to where you found that?

@Letti0doesn't that note mean that HG can't be used to pay for additional guest fees, not that HG is void when there are extra guests?

@Zojka0 the most important written policy for your listing is the one you create!

Just put in your listing what *your* policy is regarding unregistered guests.

(Such as: "No unregistered guests allowed on the property at any time.")

You have the power!

You do not need Airbnb to write that.

If you write it the policy, then that policy is the law for your property.

My recommendation: Be very specific with your house policy.

I have a long list. It helps on one hand to “scare away” the “crazy ones”...

and on other hand, all other guests wouldn’t have a problem to agree.

Here my example reg. additional guests:

- The booking guest needs to have a fully verified account (ID, Email and Phone-Nr.) and to register EVERY person staying at our house with full name at day of booking but not later than 5 days upon arrival. Ignoring this rule will result in cancellation.
- ONLY with full name registered guests are allowed on the property. (short visual ID check at arrival).
- ALL guests have to TRAVEL (from outside NYC) or fly and check-in/arrive TOGETHER.
- We are NOT HOSTING NYC LOCAL'S without explicit written agreement.
- NO LOCAL MEET-UP'S AND STAYING OVER with any persons not previously registered/booked and agreed by host.

I found this to be false unfortunately. I had this in my house rules that I also ask guest to agree to in an Airbnb message that “no unregistered guests may enter the home”.  Prior to check in, I ask the booking guest to send a list of all the people in the reservation. But Airbnb support just told me today  that doesn’t matter if those people stay 1 night and NEW people that were never mentioned stay the other nights in their place. Because in my case, Airbnb told me “the guest count is still under 7 people”

In my listing it is pretty clear. "All guests must be registered with AirBNB." Yet, the last 5 bookings I have had, have shown up with additional guests. So, I open one room. Thinking there is only one guest, and then.....2...3...5 show up. I have been very honest and open about this requirement, and I do invoice for the extra guests. So, I am wondering if others are seeing an uptick in this behavior? People with years of AirBNB renting experience are acting very "surprised" that there is a cost to additional people. I am getting a lot of, "But why? Aren't I renting the entire house?"  I live in a house across the drive from my rental, and all are on my farm. So I greet every guest, and am very on top of who comes and goes. Also stated in my description.  Is this normal, a trend? an anomaly? Just wondering. 

I am definitely seeing this as a major problem and it did not exist before; last FOUR guests for private room accommodations in a shared home have brought unauthorized guests, aka trespassers, to stay MULTIPLE a nights — and this is after EXTENSIVE communication about following house rules and reading house rules and reiterating house rules in the chat since it’s been proven you can’t assume they actually read a listing. 

My biggest concern is Airbnb’s lenient wording and “customer service policy” that states to the customers that it is up to a host if they let an additional guest on the property— which makes it seem like we’re being uptight jerks when we say no; However, AIrbnb negates to tell the guest (or host) that UNREGISTERED a guests in the house and on the property completely negates any claims for damage and the host protection insurance policy.

it’s the shadiest thing AIrbnb is doing right now— and it is literally at the cost, expense and risk to the host-property owner. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

what's funny about this question is that ToS specifically forbids an experience guest to bring additional guests to Experiences but are totally silent on what happens if a guest brings additional guests to a Home. ABB could care about this if they wanted to ...

Stephanie792
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I recently had this problem with a guest who scheduled the home for 4 guests but had 22 guests stayed. AirBNB wasn’t helpful in resolving the issue with the guest so I sued the guest and won. I was awarded $2700 + attorney fees. I was able to win because I notified the guest of the unreported guest fee in my house manual as well as several places within my listing. The guest enters into a contract with the host and you do have a course of action if they violate the contract. For the less egregious offenses, If the matter can’t be satisfactorily resolved through the resolution center, I’m very candid about the issue in my review of the guest so other hosts have a heads up.