Listing Critique for a Newbie in the Adirondacks, NY

Rose2552
Level 2
Syracuse, NY

Listing Critique for a Newbie in the Adirondacks, NY

Hi community!!

I am so excited to have listed my cabin on Airbnb and have had two wonderful experiences and two bookings that have caused concern (extra guests, overusing amenities, not cleaning up dishes etc.). I'd love it if I could get some feedback on where to tighten up my listing to try and prevent the breaking of house rules. Looking forward to whatever feedback I receive.

With smiles, Rose

🌟Listing link: Cabin in Woodgate · ★New · Studio · 1 bed · 1 bath

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 12.07.41 PM.png

[Content modified by OCM]

18 Replies 18
Barbara3482
Level 2
Hiawassee, GA

Hi,  Beautiful place! 

I experience many of the same issues and concerns.  I have found most guests do not read the house rules during the booking process. So, I ask them to send confirmation that all parties in the group agree to the house rules in a welcome message they receive immediately after booking.  I think this extra confirmation from the guest's helps.  You may want to add to your house rules (HR) that you will charge an extra cleaning fee (of course if they leave a mess).... , lock up extra supplies, equipment, etc., you do not want used. Also, you may add to your HR your max capacity is two and that you do not allow unregistered guests/visitors. 

Most important to me......Video the condition of your cabin just before the guest(s) arrives that includes the current date, names of guest(s) arriving and the dates of their stay.....to include video of the inside the oven, stove top, top of sofa, etc This will document your claim for damages against the guest, if needed.  

Finally, hold the guest(s) responsible.  Hopefully, pointing out bad behavior in a review, as nicely as you can will encourage the guests to behave better next time.  Report all house rule violations to Airbnb support.   I hope I have offered some help.  🙂

Bulent11
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

Hi Rose!,

Congratulations on your first two positive experiences with Airbnb!

To help avoid negative experiences in the future, here are a few suggestions:

1. **Clarify House Rules:** Make sure your house rules are clearly outlined in your listing. For example, specify the maximum number of guests allowed, cleanliness expectations, and which amenities can be used. You can also send these rules to your guests before they confirm their booking.

2. **Update Check-In Instructions:** Clearly state how many guests are allowed to stay, mention that extra guests will incur additional fees, or won’t be permitted.

3. **Additional Fees:** Consider setting up additional fees for extra guests or excessive use of resources in your listing. This can encourage guests to follow the rules.

4. **Evaluate Guest Feedback:** Review feedback from previous guests to understand which rules were violated and how you can improve your listing.

5. **Communicate with Guests:** Reach out to your guests before and during their stay to inform them about your rules. This can help prevent future issues.

Tightening up your listing might lead to a better experience for both you and your guests. I hope these tips are helpful!

Best regards,
Bulent

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Rose2552, It’s wonderful to see so many of our Hosts coming together to share their suggestions. We’d love to hear your thoughts on their ideas.

Please keep us posted when you’ve had a chance to review them 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hello Rose 

Your listing looks very nice. As for your concerns with some of your previous guests I can understand your frustration as this is your first listing and its your baby. I was there once and had the same feelings  towards guests. Well let me say this you have to let it go. Biggest thing to remember is you are in the hospitality business now. I see so many hosts worrying about little things and wanting to charge guests for every little thing they did wrong. You can't be that way. Don't sweat the small things not all guests will do things to your liking. Remember you are always covered by aircover if something goes wrong. Now as for the listing and some things that might help you. 

1 All photos should be horizontal and not vertical as Airbnb algothrim favors those. 

2 Your first 5 photos should always be your best and your first photo should be your hero photo

3 Rewrite all your descriptions in second person. 

4. Make sure you go section by section in the listing editor and toggle all the slide bars on that you can or select not part of your listing. 

5 If a writing section gives you 2000 Characters try to use all the characters it allows you for each section. 

6 It looks like your calendar has good bookings. Maybe increase your price some and see if you are  still getting bookings. Also your prices should be different for everyday of the week and weekends. Your price should be the highest far future and then you can adjust as your lead time gets closer. You should be working your calendar everyday and adjust based on trends and lead time. 

7 As for more than two guests I think the best way forward is to message your guest when they book and start a conversation with them. We get bookings for 1 guest sometimes and there is almost always going to be more than one so we just ask them in a message. Most guests will be honest when asked. 

Hope this helps. I could give you a bunch of things I have learned over the years I just don't want to overwhelm you at first. However I'm always here if you have a question. 

Shawn