Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Listing Issue

Phil-And-Aquilla0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Listing Issue

I have had a long standing issue with Airbnb. My listings are in London but never appear under a London search. The reason is simple. They are on the edge of London but the Airbnb map cuts off that bit of London. The listings appear as soon as the map is moved slightly but most prospective guests do not move the map! Most guests who are coming to London would simply do a London search!

So I spend a considerable amount of time explaining this to a support ambassador and it gets logged for further action. But then the problems arise. I  get daily responses, usually from an unsigned support person and what I have discovered is that it is actually a different person each time. As a result the original explanations that I have given to the original person I spoke to get muddied along the way and soon I get the response that the support ambassador has been able to find the listings and the case is closed. Invariably I find it is because they have done a MAP search and not a LONDON search. So I then have to start all over again.

Two issues stand out.

1) The same person  is not dealing with the case all the way so there is no continuity. I'm sure this is why the name of the support ambassador is not usually given. Previously if I had an issue the same person would see it through and that was far more satisfactory.

2)Airbnb is trying to close down it cases as soon as possible. So sometimes the host is not even given the option of keeping the case open but is faced with the message: "This case is closed. Still need help? Contact us". And so you have to start all over again.

This is part of the increasing de-personalisation of the service. I have been an Airbnb host for over 12 years. In the early days I was invited out to a meal in town compliments of Airbnb and to coffee at their London office. I can't imagine that happening now. Airbnb has become a money making machine and has lost its spirit along the way.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to how I might get my issue with the listings resolved.

6 Replies 6
Craig806
Level 3
Lawrenceville, GA

@Phil-And-Aquilla0,

Not sure how far you are outside the map.  But you can go to location and in the map section you can edit and move your (Pin) location.  That might trigger you being on the map. 

@Craig806, Great suggestion. I would estimate a couple of hundred yards outside the map parameters. I have tried to do that but a message comes up: "You can't change your listing's address once you've started receiving reservation requests. If you need to make an update, please contact support" Not sure if support would accept that but i could try. On one occasion support put in the wrong coordinates and put me in the centre of London, in Covent Garden! For one day I was deluged with requests and enquiries until I pointed out the mistake to Airbnb.

@Phil-And-Aquilla0 

If you choose general location instead of exact location, you do have the option to move the map pin within the circle. Your main listing (whole house) is currently showing exact location. Change to approximate location and move the map pin as far as you can within the circle. 

Joan2709_0-1729199906799.png

Joan2709_2-1729199977778.png

That said, this still might not solve your problem. This is because Airbnb has set the map search algorithm to a specific distance from the city centers. Many hosts have experienced what you have when they are outside the parameters set by Airbnb related to distance to the city center. The only option then is to list on other platforms, as Airbnb doesn't seem to be inclinded to change their map search parameters.

@Joan2709  I did try that but the same message comes up and the pin reverts to where it was.

@Phil-And-Aquilla0 

Well rats! I guess it only allows you to move it when your listing is new and before you receive reservations. I just tried it and got the same message as well. 

Joan2709_0-1729203509173.png

Sigh...don't think there is anything else to try on Airbnb. I have asked repeatedly for them to add a callout to the map view that says "zoom in and/or move the map to see more listings" to no avail. I think the only other option is to list on other platforms. Vrbo's map isn't as restrictive as Airbnb. I have advised several other hosts to list their properties on Vrbo who have the same problem as you do.

@Joan2709  Yes, thanks for the further response. Vrbo is certainly something I am considering as well. Your idea for the zoom in/move the map message is a great one and I suppose if enough of us push for that Airbnb might do something. I find it very difficult to get Airbnb to make changes as a lone voice. Normally the response I get is that it's all down to the algorithms and they can't do anything about it!