Listing rank dropped from 1 to 123 (last)

Answered!

Listing rank dropped from 1 to 123 (last)

Hello,

My home, always appeared on the 1st page since I created the listing a year ago and for most of the time, it was ranked #1 in "Panchgani, India". A week ago, the rank suddenly changed and since then it is appearing on the last page (#123).

I have:

1. The 2nd highest number of reviews in Panchgani
  2. A decent 4 star rating
  3. Instant Booking On
  4. Photos, Calendar, other details updated
  5. 100% commitment rate
  6. 90% response time
  7. Reasonable pricing

Inspite of all these factors, other listing with no reviews, incomplete information, expensive, poor location, non-responsive are placed ahead of me. (Basically, all listings in Panchgani are now ahead of me.)

I spoke to Airbnb and they informed me that rankings are based on a complex system so they cannot do anything about it. Although they offered to cover one time cleaning expenses for my home as I have 4 stars for Cleanliness and 4.5 for the rest of the factors.

However, I'm not convinced that Cleanliness could be the reason for this drop. Even earlier when I was ranked #1, I only had 4 stars for cleanlisness and not more.

Has anyone faced a similar situation?

My daily views have gone from 4-6 to 0.

Any help would be much appreciated 🙂

Thanks,

Jeet

1 Best Answer
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Jeet0, there are two factors, at least:

airbnb promotes new hosts.  they are ranked in front for a month, when there are a lot of new listings, that could falsify your ranking. After the month, they are in the same game as everyone else.

the new search function shows only 300 results, which would not bother you, theoretically, in a region with only 123 hosts. But, it tries to take into consideration more factors to match guests with hosts. 

See that link to the help center: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/39/how-are-search-results-determined

That's the theory. Since October a lot of hosts have complained about periods with no bookings and the listing not showing. 

Keep checking that help page (you get it by typing "search rank" in the help center). I think it changes from time to time.

View Best Answer in original post

33 Replies 33

That's really helpful Helga - I'll give it a go.

Many thanks

Deborah

Thank you again Helga - I did it on my phone (instead of laptop) and it worked beautifully!

Really appreciate your advice on this!.

Cheers

Deborah

Hi Deborah - I am also in nsw (Jervis Bay) and used to get a reasonable amount of bookings through Airbnb. Now haven't had a booking in 10 months. I am only getting 3 page views a day. I contacted Airbnb and they provided no assistance of any use. I did cancel a couple of bookings and decline a few as I did not realise I could set a specific day for check in for long weekends but not sure how much of an impact this has had.

Hi Craig, if you cancelled several bookings, no reasonable person will book with you. Would you want to risk arriving at night after a long trip with no Internet service to find out your host cancelled on you? Where would you go? Call airbnb on rooming costs?  Seaarch listings and yellow pages on data rooming? Pay a hotel room at thrice the original price?

Cancelling from your side on your own is a thing you should Never do. In case of emergencies, call airbnb first and they will help you or cancel on their behalf (accidents, blown up water tank, hurricane etc)

you could try now to sell via a low price, but not too low, as that would seem an even crazier deal. If you still can, leave a public answer on the cancellation remark, explaining it. It reacts like a normal review. Otherwise leave an explanation in your profile, something that explains a period of emergency situations but is safely over.

If that does ot belp , sorry: does not help, an account in your partner's name would be a good idea.  (I can't edit ling texts on the phone, sorry for spelling)

Hi Helga, they were cancelled immediately upon receiving the booking because the dates were not available due to another booking on another website - I was on Airbnb for 5 years prior and had great reviews and about 15-20 bookings over the years but it dropped off steadily. Anyway I have since delisted and reelisted both of my properties and it's still as dead even after hiring an "Airbnb expert" to get me more views.

Also I am getting over 200 nights of bookings via other websites, have won several awards so no lack of bookings elsewhere. My properties all have great reviews, professional photos etc.

Daniel-Rusteen0
Level 10
California, United States

Hi @Jeet0 and others - 

I came upon this post while doing some research for my website. 

There are SO many reasons why you drop. But, Airbnb search results are not static, they differ for different users. So, were you logged into someone else's account? Not signed in? On an incognito window? Etc?

If you send you listing, I'll take a look and give you some pointers. I created a website to do just this, www.AnalyzeMyAirbnb.com. Essentially, it's SEO for Airbnb search results. As a prior employee and Airbnb property manager, I've been able to really grasp why some listings are high and others not. Feel free to order the full service there (full refund if you're not totally happy) or send URL for a free short analysis here.

Hey Daniel,

That sounds quite cool. Sharing my listing url for a short analysis: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5740610

Thanks for sharing your work on this thread.
Daniel-Rusteen0
Level 10

@Jeet0

You have an overall good listing, but there are some major improvements you could make to rank higher in search results and get more guest reservations. Here are a few:

- Change your title - I like the stars and the word "Villa", but the other words doesn't communicate anything to me as a potential guest. Highlight something unique about your property

- If you respond to all reviews, you don't highlight the negative ones that you respond too

- Put bullets in your about this listing section, guests don't read so you want to communicate as much as possible in the fewest words

Again, my website is AnalyzeMyAirbnb.com/buy. I do this for a living and all my hosts are satisfied with my analysis as I bring up some really unique persepctives and improvements. I'm happy to offer you a $50 discount (offer valid for next 7 days).

Those are some really helpful suggestions. Thanks a Daniel, will act on those points you stated right away.

Interesting Dan ... See a need, fill a need... 🙂 

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Daniel-Rusteen0
Level 10

@Mike77

Yes, thanks!

Here are my suggestions for your listing:

- I like photo 3 or 16 for your cover photo. The one you have right now, imagine it in search results, the actual house is a tiny little image on the screen, especially if someone if looking on their phone.

- I think you should remove 'sleeps 4' from your title (no new info) and add 'Floating Bed' as this term will get lots of clicks

- Are you using Airbnb's pricing service? I'm guessing no, but you're using something, right?

Feel free to visit my website periodically for tips and tricks in my blog www.AnalyzeMyAirbnb.com/blog - I'll be posting at least monthly.

And, of course, purchase my analysis for a full review of your listing and profile - www.AnalyzeMyAirbnb.com/buy - most hosts see an incremental increase in bookings within 7 days (the timeframe that I measure on). I offer a full refund to anyone not satisfied with my analysis.

Hi Daniel,

Sounds really interesting. I'm located in Melbourne, Australia and have read couple articles on how to improve and get higher ranking on Airbnb, and I've tried to do best I can do improve it but I still feel like not getting enough vacancy rate

Would you please help me doing a short research and little advice for me? Here's my link

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/22605003?s=51

Thank you very much

Kind Regards

Arif

1).  Starting this for the first time, I hadn't noticed PAGES of competitors but I can now see that OF COURSE it will be exactly as you d))escribe !    D'oh ! because of course EVERYONE is in competition.  It's what happens with ANY directory of this sort especially business directories.  Page 1 soon becomes  Page 101 ?!!    2).   Surprisingly, I do not like pushing other people down the queue; it's so selfish.   3).  I have noticed VERY cheap rooms in VERY central London, a niche market to avoid hotel prices.  4).  My own potential customers with treble the money can afford hotels and can avoid being judged.  5).  "What makes me stand out ?"   erm, like I'm better than millions of you ?!!  just see if you like the look of the room !    6).  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is ! so I never did expect  riches.  Competition will see to that (which is the main point, as you discovered).     7).  Hints for you ?  yes, they helped you but not for long ! because of course that will be Hints for everyone else too eventually.   8).  The option is longterm / permanent rental option for me but apparently not for you, but  9).  In the end, expect airbnb prices to be about the same, of course,  plus a small mark up for the extra time + trouble.  That's what competition does.  Basically, neither you nor me nor anyone else can defy gravity !  It's called The Market.  Anything else is a half truth !

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Please correct discrepancies : Can't have 8 guests in 2 beds...