Listing rank dropped from 1 to 123 (last)

Answered!

Listing rank dropped from 1 to 123 (last)

Hello,

My home, always appeared on the 1st page since I created the listing a year ago and for most of the time, it was ranked #1 in "Panchgani, India". A week ago, the rank suddenly changed and since then it is appearing on the last page (#123).

I have:

1. The 2nd highest number of reviews in Panchgani
  2. A decent 4 star rating
  3. Instant Booking On
  4. Photos, Calendar, other details updated
  5. 100% commitment rate
  6. 90% response time
  7. Reasonable pricing

Inspite of all these factors, other listing with no reviews, incomplete information, expensive, poor location, non-responsive are placed ahead of me. (Basically, all listings in Panchgani are now ahead of me.)

I spoke to Airbnb and they informed me that rankings are based on a complex system so they cannot do anything about it. Although they offered to cover one time cleaning expenses for my home as I have 4 stars for Cleanliness and 4.5 for the rest of the factors.

However, I'm not convinced that Cleanliness could be the reason for this drop. Even earlier when I was ranked #1, I only had 4 stars for cleanlisness and not more.

Has anyone faced a similar situation?

My daily views have gone from 4-6 to 0.

Any help would be much appreciated 🙂

Thanks,

Jeet

1 Best Answer
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Jeet0, there are two factors, at least:

airbnb promotes new hosts.  they are ranked in front for a month, when there are a lot of new listings, that could falsify your ranking. After the month, they are in the same game as everyone else.

the new search function shows only 300 results, which would not bother you, theoretically, in a region with only 123 hosts. But, it tries to take into consideration more factors to match guests with hosts. 

See that link to the help center: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/39/how-are-search-results-determined

That's the theory. Since October a lot of hosts have complained about periods with no bookings and the listing not showing. 

Keep checking that help page (you get it by typing "search rank" in the help center). I think it changes from time to time.

View Best Answer in original post

33 Replies 33
Kathleen128
Level 2
Grants Pass, OR

The  EXACT same thing happened to me...from $3 to now #44   overnight.  I am a superhost 111 review, 99% are 5 star.  I have been open for a year and was always listed in the top 3 as well.  This started in early Ocober and after many phone calls and emails I found a wonderful person named Derfloyd who fixed the problem...for a couple of weeks.  Now it is back again.  I have spoken to numerous customer service people who will not reconnect me with Derfloyd, the only person who was able to help me.  I have had all of the standard answers and explanations, but nothing has worked. I have been HUNG up on by 2 different people (one a supervisor)  when I inquired how I could reach their supervisor as they said they had no way to help me.  

I do plan to close at the end of the month for the winter, but this "glitch" has eastly cost me $1,000 over the past 5 weeks.  I will try again in April, but if no ine is willing to help me, I mut go elsewhere...and that is a shame.  I have absolutely loved being a host with AirBNB, but my business has dropped to zero.  So much for good reviews, etc.

@Kathleen128. Actually, when I entered dates (November 7-9) under Grants Pass, your listing was on the first page of my search results.  When I cleared the dates, you were on page 2.  I have always believed that the true measure of search rankings is where ones listing appears when a guest enters their preferences.  

That said, Airbnb will display listings that are in the desired location with ones that are a bit farther away still listed but further down the list.  I see that your listing is not in Grants Pass, but some distance away.  

The applies to me too.  My listing is about 10 miles from any town that a guest might search for.  Because of this, my listing will never be on the first page unless all the listings in a particular town are already booked for the selected dates.  I'm a Super Host too, but where your listing is located affects search placement as well.  

Have you seen this recent post from Airbnb?

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Your-top-questions-about-Airbnb-Search/m-p/509644/highli...

Hi Clare...
Well I'm glad you found the listing on page 2.  I have some people working on things...I think.
Thanks for your input.  My property is actually in Grants Pass.  I have a Grants Pass address and a Grants Pass zip code.  We are located 6 miles from the center of downtown Grants Pass, which in a rural community is nothing.  I understand that I cannot always be #1, but to drop me from #3 to #40 overnight is a tad abrupt and has 100% killed the business.  For the first full year, my search was always in the same place...Always on page 1, usually at the top. I do understand that here are more listings than before, but tye first page shows the area my listing should be, but it is just not there.  Someone was able to fix this problem when it occurred last month.  So, I do know that it is fixable.
I haven't read your link yet, but will look at it now.  

Thanks,
Kathleen

Thanks, Clare.  Just checked that link and yes, I read it earlier today.  Didn't help.