Maximising occupancy

Answered!
Penny333
Level 2
Wanaka, New Zealand

Maximising occupancy

Hello everyone, I have a studio unit attached to my home, in Wanaka , New Zealand.  It was going to be my trips and treats fund.   I’m interested in what others are doing to maximise occupancy, we are at Level 1 in New Zealand, borders are closed, so domestic travellers only.  Many thanks in advance.  Regards penny 

1 Best Answer
Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

@Penny333 your place looks lovely, I suggest you simply keep your description 100% positive.

Just take out the negative truths; a guest's imagination will magnify them and they may pass over your listing and look for another place.

Good luck!

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

@Penny333 your place looks lovely, I suggest you simply keep your description 100% positive.

Just take out the negative truths; a guest's imagination will magnify them and they may pass over your listing and look for another place.

Good luck!

Thank you, yes we pondered on that, but the construction noise is considerable,  we were advised by locals to be very truthful,  but as you have said, no one seems to care, they are mostly out and about,   I might soften the wording slightly.  Thanks 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Penny333 My limited advice is

Don't push for 100% occupancy by lowering your rates too far - You'll just attract the wrong type of guests and/or cause too much wear and tear on the property and yourself!

Do keep your content on neighbours construction BUT state that, as the reviews suggest, it doesn't appear to be a big deal.

Finally, having said you shouldn't lower your rates too far you should act like a guest and search for the type of listing you offer to see if you are competitive. If you really want to maximise occupancy then, whilst I am sure there will be a mathematical formula somewhere I suggest you price 10% lower than others. Of course this might just reduce your revenues by 10%!

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Penny333 

People are certainly travelling and your beautiful place looks great. 
I still haven’t visited this area but it’s on our list 🙂  I know It’s a photographers dream.

Promote what’s great and how about including  some photos. I know ‘that tree’ is cliche , but the glorious night skies , local Doc walks and your stunning Crested Grebes are all worth while mentioning 

Good luck. 🙂 

Penny333
Level 2
Wanaka, New Zealand

@Ria16   thank you, I’ve just added a couple of lifestyle photos.  I see you provide breakfast and treats . . . That’s something we have thought about, adding value without it costing too much.  I do provide locally made benjer juice, which is a huge success (every single person takes it or drinks it) but very few have a tea, or use the Nespresso,  or the milk.  It’s such a learning curve.  Your place looks delightful by the way.  Northland is on our list,  going to west coast next weekend

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Penny333  To be honest that’s why I charge a cleaning fee. It pays for those little extras. 😉 

I need to look up this benjer juice, never heard of it up here.?  

Yup we are booking places too  and are off to Stewart Island next month . So can’t wait 🙂 

Love the wild west coast . Look out for ambergris 🙂 

xxx

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Penny333   Oh my goodness just looking at Roy’s peak. Simply stunning . I really love the tree too.