New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

230 Replies 230

Actually maybe something else to  think  about  cameras.   Have  we  as  hosts   no longer   manage our  business   because  we heave   cameras?   I  seer a  lot of  post's saying  my  camera caught it.  Guests use Airbnb  because for what  reason they   don't use  a  big   company  rental  are we seeking  that  business  but not performing  as  required?

Trond24
Level 1
Oslo, Norway
Juan804
Level 2
Barcelona, Spain

I have been a SUPERHOST for 12 years now. Airbnb decided to put my listings on HOLD without prior warning because I have cameras. Not a phone call nor an email from them prior. Nothing. Mafia style. This just shows how little care and respect Airbnb has for us! We make their money!

My cameras are in non-public places like my kitchen and living room. One is pointing at my door for my Amazon deliveries. It is MY HOME! I want to feel secure in my own place without violating my guests' privacy.

This is unacceptable. Airbnb's treatment of hosts like me, who have been dedicated and reliable for years, is disgraceful.

Is your living room and kitchen shared with the guest? Try motion sensors instead. No images and no voice.

Same happened with me, suspended my account without any kind of notification or email. They say it was a rare case but a lot of hosts are reporting the same. Lost the trust to this platform.

Glenn-and-Xin0
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Airbnb does not have a right to dictate to homeowners to remove cameras from their homes. They are treading into litigious potential class action territory. 
In Pennsylvania, 
security camera laws typically permit homeowners and businesses to employ surveillance cameras for legitimate purposes, such as reasonable suspicion or property protection. Such uses are generally not considered intrusive to individuals' privacy and are of reasonable expectation of privacy.