New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 9
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

243 Replies 243

Same happened with me, suspended my account without any kind of notification or email. They say it was a rare case but a lot of hosts are reporting the same. Lost the trust to this platform.

Glenn-and-Xin0
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Airbnb does not have a right to dictate to homeowners to remove cameras from their homes. They are treading into litigious potential class action territory. 
In Pennsylvania, 
security camera laws typically permit homeowners and businesses to employ surveillance cameras for legitimate purposes, such as reasonable suspicion or property protection. Such uses are generally not considered intrusive to individuals' privacy and are of reasonable expectation of privacy.

Piergiorgio21
Level 2
Madrid, Spain

Let's go back to the original post:

I agree the policy is extremely unfair and dangerous for hosts and guests alike. It seems to me this is the classical "good intentions gone wrong" situation. My story refers to a home fully dedicated to Airbnb (no host, or shared/common spaces).

My alarm company provides a device similar to the one Conrad76 describes: it is a "motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on". As my alarm provider is aware of Airbnb (and general) privacy concerns and regulations, the sensor comes with a physical cover for the camera shutter. When the lid is closed, the device CANNOT take pictures and cannot be considered as a camera. Yet, I have been asked formally by Airbnb to remove it.

I am very disappointed.

- The only person who can actually open the lid of the camera is the guest, and maybe they would be happy to use it if using the alarm would make them feel safer. 

- The motion sensor is in plain sight and the guest can easily check if the lid is open or closed

- My house manual explain this to the guest.

Why I think the policy is wrong and wrongly written.

- Even if you make it physically impossible for a device to record or take photos, Airbnb still consider it is a threat to privacy, can anyone explain me how?  I agree software and electrical disconnections as difficult to prove to guests, but a physical, thick plastic cover is different.

- Even if Airbnb would agree on the above (i.e. if the lid is closed, the motion sensor cannot be considered a camera), the policy would need to be re-written. A dishonest guest could easily remove the lid and pretend it was already open upon arrival, which would put the host in a bad spot. This is the reason for which, regardless the fact I am escalating this to Airbnb support to ask for a policy correction, I am removing the motion sensors for now and until the policy is made more clear (if ever).

- The only way to comply with the current policy is to remove cameras. This can lead owners to delist their Airbnbs and eventually will reduce Airbnb inventory. Imagine hosts renting one room only or taking off alarm systems from all the large properties/villas/luxury homes on Airbnb, or the potential effect on properties with high seasonality that stay empty (or almost empty) in the low season: how can an owner protect their house?

- From a guest perspective, Airbnb public calendar is a great way for thieves to know if a specific unit has guests. Tourists carry cash, valuables, cameras, laptops. I think a guest that freely decides to use the house alarm is actually protecting themselves and their family. They can decide if use the cameras or not, but no alarm (or weaker alarm) means they are less protected by a rule that was thought to "protect them" and this is ironically sad.

I understand the "good intentions" of Airbnb as it with respect to hidden cameras and unreasonable cameras placed to supervise guests activities. As a guest and as an owner, I do. I just don't feel modern alarm systems, designed with privacy in mind, and complying with the (very strict) privacy laws of my country should be declared unsafe under the operating conditions I have described above.

Jasmine3
Level 2
New York, NY

I delisted my home even before the rule came into effect because I did not want to get stuck with a reservation that I can not even run a camera to monitor. Not to say that I have pets at home that need to be monitored no matter what. Airbnb is bullying all hosts while they provide nothing to secure hosts' safety. When Airbnb doesn't disclose guests photo before making reservations, doesn't check guests' identity, doesn't even have any way to enforce the guest to pay for damages, hosts could only rely on self rescue. I had past experience when the guest just switch account to harrass me after i denied his first request. Literally, it could be any criminals walking into my home through Airbnb's negligence. Why would I risk my life to a stranger while paying Airbnb to authorize them to harm me?