New security camera policy is unreasonable

Conrad76
Level 8
Boston, MA

New security camera policy is unreasonable

I presume all hosts received an email from Airbnb about security cameras, in which it says, "You’re not allowed to have cameras that monitor indoor spaces." That is completely unfair. The basic Abode security system that I have has a motion sensor with a camera that takes a snapshot if the sensor is triggered when the alarm is on, to get a picture of who or what is moving in the hallway. I disclose this in my listing, and I have a small curtain that guests can pull to cover the camera if they are concerned about privacy. Airbnb is essentially forcing me to get a different security system. How are other hosts dealing with this?

212 Replies 212

I totally agree.  Banning indoor cameras rules should NEVER apply to listings for individual rooms that share common spaces with other people (like hosts who rent their spare rooms within their own house).  

I rented individual rooms to multiple Airbnb guests.  I have encountered some bad behaving Airbnb guests entering other guests or host room without permission, one Airbnb guest taking food from other guest without permission, one registered Airbnb guest bringing multiple unregistered unpaid friends into my house, smoking cigarettes and weeds, and playing loud music in midnight, with other Airbnb guests texting me in midnight complaining of loud music and smoking.  I have multiple Airbnb houses.  If I don't have indoor cameras for commo areas, how can host collect evidence and pinpoint the culprit Airbnb guest in violation of policy and law?

I'm sorrt but it does mention shared spaces, I rent just a room and the camera is not in the space I rent, but talking with the support they clarify that I have to remove any camera from any indoor space in my propriety.

totally agree. if some one want to use hidden camera to sneak on the guest, they will used it. the new policy will do nothing to help resolve this. but on the host security will be negative impacted.

P41
Level 4
Boulogne-Billancourt, France

Exactly, if this was Airbnb's attempt to stop with hidden cameras it's a total failure because the bad hosts that do that will continue to do so and the good hosts that follow the policy and use cameras for their own safety will be punished. 

I think this new policy is unfair and unsafe to hosts.

Here in NYC we are only permitted to do STR where we live.

I only feel comfortable doing it because I have ring cameras in the hallways, the kitchen and my daughter's art room.

I do not want to remove it from the hallways because:

1. My outdoor cameras are not reliable. It picks up every passerby and every car but doesn't always pickup when there's a guest at the door. I rely on my hallway camera for accurate notification when someone enters my house. As much as I try to pick good guests, at the end of the day, they are strangers in my house & around my family. So many have tried to enter doors they no they shouldn't enter. God forbid something goes wrong, I need proof.

2. so many guests leave my doors wide open & never say anything. I only know when I get an alert from my indoor camera. The outside camera always misses it. If I have to remove my hallway camera, anyone passing by could just walk in.

3. When I 1st started airbnb, I had damages & theft. I only received reimbursement for a tv stolen by a guest because I had proof from the hallway camera (the outside camera missed it). 

4. Too many guests have tried to sneak in unregistered guests. I have to be careful with this because NYC maximum guests is 2 or risk getting fined.

I do not want to remove the camera from my daughter's art room because:

1. it can't be closed off & there are too many guests touching her belongings. They only stop because they remember I have the camera. I have nowhere else to move her stuff. 

2. I get a notification when they try to open the door to my daughter's bedroom. There's big sign on the door so they know it's off limits but, the still try to open it.

3. If someone goes in her bedroom, or damages her stuff or takes something, I want to be able to look back and see who did it.

The kitchen camera helps:

1. when people forget stuff in the fridge, I can go back & see if it's my kids or if it was a guest.

2. When I found a bunch of food in the sink, I was able to go back & see who did it (it's not a garbage disposal).

3. When I saw slimy stuff in the sink drain, I was able to go back & see, someone hacked up thick spit in it. I knew I had to take extra precaution, clean/disinfect/sanitize even more than usual. 4. more importantly, if I need to, I can see when someone is trying to access the bedroom right next to the kitchen, it's off limits to guests. 

I don't know what to do. I'm ok getting rid of the kitchen camera. I'm not ok getting rid of the camera in my daughters art room. I don't feel safe getting rid of my hallway cameras.

P41
Level 4
Boulogne-Billancourt, France

I totally agree with you Jency, I've had similar experiences with guests acting in bad faith and I will definitely not remove my security camera. It's for MY own safety inside MY apartment. If the Law of the country where I live allows it, why does Airbnb think they know better...

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

I think they are changing their policy because allowing cameras inside ads to the perception of hidden cameras.. I was surprised Airbnb allows them inside at all to be honest. I personally don't have any cameras and haven't had any issues. I can appreciate how some home share host use them for security in common areas. I would think they would still be allowed in areas that are off limits to guest, such as host or host family private bedrooms, but would need to check. You can still have them outside, door bell, or over the entrance. Vrbo also doesn't allow cameras inside. I like the change as I don't want guest to think there are cameras inside.  

Don't like it...typically during the week we rent out rooms and the weekends we rent out the whole unit which is attached to another living space (long term renter). We have one indoor camera for the kitchen and living room. Without this I wouldn't have caught the guest who clogged the sink, broke the microwave, damaged the floow, had additional guest, left the door ajar,  smoked, took items had a weapon! These were all different guest mind you...and we only accept guest with positive reviews so these were not "low level" guests. This also ensures guest do not enter our long term renters living space. Many times before providing video footage abb would say they could not accept the claim, this is after showing pre-checkin video which we always take... This policy I hate...and i hope they change it, guests can simply just choose not to stay at a place with cameras...

Another host made a post here complaining that guest were giving his listing lower reviews because of camera inside. He also didn't state cameras were inside the property in the listing description, and also just had a vague "Living Room Dining Room Outside Property" under the amenities which led some guest to think they were outside. Airbnb policy stated that the cameras inside needed to be made very clear in the listing description, which would be "other thing to note" or "about this space". 

I haven't had a kind of issue or made a claim in over 4 years. I also accept all guest, many without any reviews and their first time using Airbnb. 

Sorry but not properly disclosing inside cameras, watching guest like a hawk and declining guest with no reviews doesn't help other host. 

what are you talking about? you havent had an issue in four years, then you are lucky, i am in a big metro city, the camera is disclosed and i dont watch anyone like ahawk...when we have obvious violations we go back and review the camera, duh...why am i even responding you made assumptions and showed why you never should. it is my right to not pick guest with no reviews. they have a ton of other places to choose from in atlanta and if you dont like it guess what you dont ever have to stay here you can stay in the many other options...that is the whole point choose what works for you! goodbye!

I think if it's DECLARED that there are cameras inside and where they are, then if the guest is uncomfortable with it, they don't need to book my listing. It's my house and i live there too. Guests aren't the only people who come into my home. 

Further you have house keeping maids etc coming who need to be observed. Some day any guest can raise questions about missing belonging etc. Where and how then Airbnb will help? 

Why should it matter if the camera is indoors, in a common area? If you disclose it on your listing and the guest still books your place, then they are aware you have cameras and know where they are. If guests do not want to stay at a place with cameras, then they should book at a place that doesn't use cameras. There are plenty out there. Airbnb shouldn't be telling hosts how to secure their properties. 

Even with a policy that bans indoor cameras in common areas, you still will have perverts hiding cameras in their homes. 

My house is a former monastery. We rent the rooms out. We have cameras in most public spaces. Mainly front and back door lobby, fire stairwells and hallways. Its like a hotel. But we don't have them in their private rooms. However, we are told we have to take them out. Airbnb is not our only STR platform. So before I remove them, I will stop using their service. if that's the game they want to play. 

As a Host who has interior cameras for years with no negative guests experience.  I have never had to use because of bad guest behavior,  Just like a guest doesn't want recordings in their private areas I do not either.   I don't want a  camera where I am changing or doing anything that I would have to worry about being made public.  Video of me cooking in the kitchen a shared area I have already agreed that my activities maybe public.

Most shared hosts knows not to have cameras in private bedrooms and shared bathrooms. But to take away live in hosts who shares hallways and common areas will be dangerous for hosts and guests. Especially a shared house with multiple bedrooms with strangers. I will be closing down my calendar before the 30th. Luckily I had paid off my mortgage 2 months ago. Direct bookings only. Airbnb do not own me or my house.