Overall Rating on Listing Not Changing

Answered!

Overall Rating on Listing Not Changing

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue before with their overall rating not changing on their listing. I have received 19 consecutive 5 star reviews since my last 4 star review, but it hasn't affected the overall rating, which remains at 4.92. All other categories, such as cleanliness and accuracy, have received 5 stars, with only the value category at 4.9 stars. I reached out to Airbnb support, and according to their records, my listing has an average rating of 4.97.

However, despite escalating the issue, I have not received a response for weeks. When I called again, they informed me that they do not have access to view this discrepancy. Do you have any tips on how to reach the appropriate support team?
1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Krystle38 Can I check a few elements of understanding:

1) Were the 19 consecutive reviews for the overall rating? It is ONLY the overall rating that contributes to your 4.92 rating

2) I wonder if support are looking at the Superhost stats when they gave you the 4.97 figure.

Doing some sums:

You have 65 reviews and an average of 4.92

If we go back 19 reviews earlier when you said you had a 4.92 rating

46*4.92 = 226.32

If the next 19 reviews were 5 stars then

226.32 + (19*5) = 321.32

giving an average of 321.32/65 = 4.94

So I suspect there is a misunderstanding as per item 1 or 2 above 

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Krystle38 Can I check a few elements of understanding:

1) Were the 19 consecutive reviews for the overall rating? It is ONLY the overall rating that contributes to your 4.92 rating

2) I wonder if support are looking at the Superhost stats when they gave you the 4.97 figure.

Doing some sums:

You have 65 reviews and an average of 4.92

If we go back 19 reviews earlier when you said you had a 4.92 rating

46*4.92 = 226.32

If the next 19 reviews were 5 stars then

226.32 + (19*5) = 321.32

giving an average of 321.32/65 = 4.94

So I suspect there is a misunderstanding as per item 1 or 2 above 

Thanks for looking into this! Yes, correct the 19 reviews were 5 stars for the overall rating. Maybe the support person was looking at the wrong number, but I would expect it to go up at least a little bit.

@Krystle38 Agreed it should have gone from 4.92 to 4.94.  Although thinking further I could do the following sum

After 46 reviews you might have been at 4.915 (lowest number that rounds to 4.92)

thus 46*4.915 = 226.09

then add 19*5 = 321.09

then divide by 65 = 4.939 which rounds to 4.94 which confirms my earlier sums.

Have you looked back at all 65 reviews and averaged the overall ratings yourself?

Just did, thanks it all makes sense now.

Definitely was confused when the support person confirmed it was 4.97 when it wasn't lol.

Thanks 

Olu241
Level 2
New York, NY

Totally having the same issue and never get an answer back. It’s annoying. I have complained to Airbnb and also wrote feedback. It’s just not right I have 191 reviews and literally more than 175-180 of them are 5 and I’m at 4.83 the math doesn’t add up

@Olu241 Interestingly computers usually get their sums right. IF you could supply all the overall scores from your 191 reviews we will do the sums and see what we get

These are the overall numbers:

more 

167-5's
20-4's
1-3's
1-2's
2-1's

@Olu241 So these reviews average to 4.827225 or, when taken to 2 decimal place 4.83.

As I thought the computer has done its sums correctly.

Thanks buddy man this stinks I just feel like I’m a 5 lol

So frustrating! Hope it gets resolved quickly and let me know if they find a resolution for you.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Krystle38 the stars only seem to be adjusted up every three months but they are calculated over a year. This happened to me a lot . Its annoying when you have been working so hard to drag your listing back from one bad review.It means that even though your day by day stars are higher they will not necessarily be so when your new superhost comes around as then its not over three months and will probably re catch the bad review that caused all the trouble in the first place.It is better to try and have the bad review removed if there  is any possibility , this will restore your standing a lot faster... H

Good to know and thank you for this! Unfortunately, we haven't had any bad reviews. The review said they enjoyed their stay, but gave us 4 stars 😞

@Krystle38 the stars are a part of the review Krystle. It surprises people that they can receive five stars for all categories and then the guest will give a four star overall. They may say pretty things but your rating still slips ..that is sadly a bad review and a problem with the system as is 'location ' , which guests know beforehand generally... H