Own in a Class B NYC building, but AirBnB refuses to release their 30 day minimum stay.

Mary504
Level 2
East Lansing, MI

Own in a Class B NYC building, but AirBnB refuses to release their 30 day minimum stay.

Hi, Does anyone else own a fractional interest or a timeshare in NYC? I sometimes stay in my timeshare in New York, and some years I rent out my timeshare. What I own is actually a fractional interest in a major hotel in midtown.

AirBnB is giving me a major run-around, closing out tickets before resolved, having people from foreign countries calling or messaging me who do not knowing what a timeshare is, or a hotel is, or what Class B means. I explain my property is officially on the Class B listing so is EXEMPT, so do not need any kind of registration. AirBnB insisted I did, so I applied with NY, and paid the $147.90 fee, although I should never have had to do this. Not sure how long it will take to hear back, but I am sure the OSE NYC Mayor's Office is going to be wondering why I applied when my address is already on the Class B exempt list.

Anyone understand why AirBnB is blocking all Class B building listings for NYC? Right now my listing says I have to rent out 30 day minimum stays, but my timeshare is for 1-2 weeks per year maximum. They keep telling me to get a registration number, but Class B buildings do not require any registration number. 

Seems like I am dealing with a lot of people who do not have a clue what they are doing at AirBnB, don't live in the US, and do not care. They just keep sending me useless links, telling me it's my problem, and then closing out tickets.

10 Replies 10
Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

Hi @Mary504 

Although this isn't a customer service forum, I did just want to mention that I was able to raise your concerns with another team. Out of curiosity for the situation, have you confirmed that the address for your listing is in line with the list of Class B dwellings for the city?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes, all the buildings are on the approved building list, then there is a separate list of those buildings that are not approved as Class B.

OCE keeps the list as an Excel spreadsheet:

https://www.nyc.gov/assets/specialenforcement/downloads/excel/class-b-multiple-dwelling-list-amended...

My address is approved, Class B. No units within Class B units can be denied short-term rental status.

However, AirBnB just gave up on NYC, don't want to be bothered. Most of the customer service reps I spoke with did not know what a hotel timeshare even was.

I listed with VRBO instead, but many people use AirBnB so I had tried my best to get my listing relisted, that AirBnB delisted but no success. I thought perhaps the fact that the approved building list for NYC had Avenue of the Americas, while Google maps has 6th Avenue may have been the problem, but never resolved. No one made any effort at all. All the customer service people were like talking to bricks.

AirBnB opened tickets and closed them at lightning speed, all went unresolved.

Breanna
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Pontefract, United Kingdom

I suspect you've pinpointed the issue there with the approved building list and the maps address being out of sync. 

Thank you for the list as well. Other Hosts are sure to find that useful, especially until the wrinkles are ironed out of these new regs.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

The map being out of sync is NOT the issue as I am having the same exact problem with a building on Bushwick Ave. in Brooklyn. There is no street name variation at all and my address IS class b but I can’t list it. I have been back and forth with seemingly clueless airbnb staff for more than a week. No one seems to know or care to solve this issue. I want an answer. If Airbnb is simply refusing to allow class b to host, why now just have the guts to say so?

I am having the exact same problem. It has been 3 weeks now that i am talking to agents that do not know what they are talking about. I have heard so many things. One even told me that i need a document with a stamp on it. Another one said that i need to call the city and the city need to call them??? Two said i have to contact hotel tonight. Hotel tonight said i have to call Airbnb. What to do?  A class B is not only a hotel , it can be a furnished housing type of things. I had no problem with homeaway, their system already recognizes my address as a class B.

airbnb agents don’t even know how top read the class B exemption list. They don’t know that there are two categories:entire building and partial building.

they have close my case without helping me. I have never had that type of customer service on Airbnb before.

Can you tell me if you were able to solve this problem? I'm having this problem too.

Have you made any progress on getting your Class B listing approved by Airbnb? Or have you heard back from OSE yet? I am in the same situation and Airbnb is forcing me to go through the registration process. 

Hi @Mary504 . Can you tell me if you were able to solve this problem? I'm having this problem too.

Has anyone solved how this can be fixed? I am having the EXACT same issue. They will NOT approve my Class B building ... 

Hello people, I am having the same issue with Airbnb, not allowing my listing in Queens for STR while my building is a Class B dwelling. I have gone thru repeatedly with Airbnb Customer service and giving me constant run around and finally after 2 weeks now they denied me without any reasons being given. I just replied them asking for reasons but as of now, no answer from Airbnb. Where ease, Vrbo got my listing approved and I am doing ok with VRBO, but Airbnb has more customers but my building is not with this platform. Very pity of what I am facing and giving this run around. Any solutions? 
And If I apply for registration with OSE, should I tell them the Class B Exemption and ask for registration?