Pool heat adding fee

John159
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Pool heat adding fee

Hello, I received my first guest today & it's unusually chilly for Palm Springs in May.They are requesting pool heat, which is expensive to run, it was not requested in their reservation but obviously I want them to be comfortable & have an enjoyable experience.How do I bill them for pool heat if they do ask for it to be heated? The guests have already checked in.Thank you
37 Replies 37

@Linda2768 How do you control the pool heater through your phone? Please let me know heater name/model?

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

One you can't please everybody make sure your rules are in place 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Plus prices you know what I mean

Eve46
Level 2
Hilton Head Island, SC

I joined this thread because I am curious to hear what others are charging for pool heat.  Here on Hilton Head, its up tp $300 a week.  Would like to hear what others are charging...

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

John, I would charge a set amount.  We charge $ 59 daily.  I would never give heating of the pool for free.  We give the guest plenty of supplies.  I would write it in your listing, " extra charge if you want the pool heated."

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jo2hn

what you might consider is closing the pool between fall and spring, and obviously point this out in extremely large type script on your listing.

Pool close 1st September to 1St of May

Kara146
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I would also like to be able to offer the option for people to be able to pay for heat with the other payments. I've been asking for it through resolutions or paypal/venmo. This time of year, it takes time to heat up and I wouldn't heat for people unless they pay 24+ hours in advance. It wouldn't be up to temp. It does cost me what they give me to heat it. It's 60+ a day if you break it down. For a longer stay, the biggest cost is upfront, the daily cost would be less, but it depends on usage. I've had people use 30 a day in spa heat - simply because they never shut it off. On a short stay, I lose money on pool/spa heat.

Hi Kara we are new to Airbnb and are also wondering about the pool heating charge.  I do mention in the listing that it costs $45 a day to heat the pool but don't understand how you are meant to add the charge. Once the house is booked how do you go about asking/receiving the extra charge for the pool heating?  Also, do you charge the full cost everyday for guests who stay for longer stays?  Like you said it's that initial day that costs the most but after that I think it cost less to maintain the temperature.   For example we have guest coming to stay for nearly 3 weeks and feel horrible asking for another $945 dollars after they have already booked even though it is mentioned in the listing.  I wish Airbnb had it has an option to add the cost when the guest were booking.  We are literally brand new to this and any help you offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Same! I'd also love to know how to add the fee. Just got my first guest asking to heat it.

Hi, we send a special request for the pool heating. We also give a a flat fee for rentals that are over 7 days.

So has anyone figured out if there is an optional fee for guest to choose upon booking?  On V R B O, they have a place to add notes about the pool such as size and additional cost, but they don't have optional fees section either.  We have had several people complain over the years about the additional cost and is frustrating because then they make it known and our ratings are affected.  We only charge $25 per day as the highest cost is the initial day but even if it does cost more we are prepared to supplement the cost as we charge a little higher than near by rentals.  

Michelle2238
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

I've been having the same problem with guest complaining about the pool heat charge. It's very clear in our listing as well. We only charge what it cost to heat the pool ourselves when we are there at the house and have broke it down, which is $60 a day for 88-90 degrees water temp. We send a seperate money request for pool heat after I message them if they do want pool heat. We can't afford to eat the cost but I'm afraid that it might affect us with ratings( in the future, it hasn't yet), but especially currently with a guest that arrives next week that is complaining. I'm conflicted with what to do as well on the pool heat charge??

Is that $60.00 heating for 24 hours when you stayed? I'm trying to determine should I charge 60.00 per day or for a specific amount of hours. 

Keila27
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

My Airbnb unit is in Florida and during the winter months it can get a little chilly. I installed solar panels to heat the pool thinking it would be the easiest thing to do since I wouldn’t have to charge a daily fee.  However, during the winter months, the solar panels are only heating the pool to 75 - 80°. I’ve put my foot in 80° water and it doesn’t seem to be warm enough. Some guests Have complained. So now I’m debating if I should add an electric heater to my unit. Just concerned about cost and how I would go about charging  guests.  Similar concerns as everyone else here.

Hey Keila I know  this is an old post but what did you end up doing?  I have lots of requests for a heated pool. I’m new to Airbnb and I don’t know which route to go. I was looking between solar vs heat pump