Property management change-over

Property management change-over

Hi,

We have had our property on AirBNB since about about 2016.  In 2018 we went overseas and left the property in the hands of two managers since then.  The last manager took over our listing for a period of 8 months in the last year having decommissioned our listing.  This month we decided to change our business model and re-establish our property listing with us being the principal hosts.  We have also made active our property listing on AirBnB.

Our recent manager had our AirBNB and VRBO listings with Homhero.  Since we put the listing under us, the manager has advised that she has taken the down these listings on her system.  She said that she would honour the bookings set up under Homhero until they are complete.  We are not sure what that means as this will confound our guests, us, and probably Airbnb.

I have some questions:

Given that we are now the property managers, how do payments from the previously committed bookings get paid? I would presume that if she has delisted the property then by rights we should receive the payments through our listing.  All these bookings are listed on our re-established listing.  I am just wondering how do we sort this out as we we will be managing all aspects of the property, including communicating with the guests.

How do we communicate with our previous property manager that this could create a messy complicated situation for us and our guests.

We would like to contact AIRBNB to know how best to handle this property management changeover. 

I hope that I have made out our situation clear.

Thanks

Nick

7 Replies 7
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Nicholas879 if all the bookings are on your listing why is there a problem? I assume you manager used to be the co-host as listings cannot transfer between owners/managers. As long as the payments from the account goes to you then you should get paid.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did you allow your property manager for some reason to set your listings up under her profile , rather than adding her as a cohost to your existing? 

if so you are correct this does complicate things @Nicholas879 

if this is the case you will need to block the dates out under your listing and agree a rate you will pay your cohost to manage these bookings 

She decided to do this without explaining to us the implications for doing this change-over.  I always had a feeling that could cause a problem in the future and she also managed to transfer our superhosting listing to her.  Yes it does complicates things I agree.  We were busy at the time and it was never fully explained.

We have blocked out the bookings.  Is there any way that we can discuss this matter with AirBNB to simplify the transition and payment processes?

I have sent an initial inquiry to AirBNB support to see if they have help on this matter.

@Nicholas879 I would steer clear of Airbnb if I were you. Unless you have a specific request of them then just sort it out between you and the ex manager.

Thanks.  Have you had specific issues with Airbnb?  It sounds like that they are not good at supporting account owners in resolving issues.

@Nicholas879 The general level of support you get is minimum wage folks reading from a script. Any complex issues are too much for them. Also they can suspend listings if, for instance, the HOST reports a party. I am still very confused as to the actual situation and worry that rules may have been broken so you might get suspended.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Nicholas879 

Airbnb won't get involved in any arrangements you have made as the STR owner for a sub contractor to manage your property.

What does it say in your contract with your cohost about payment and what happens should either of you choose to end the working arrangement?

I am a cohost and I would never suggest a client puts their listing under my profile as it is not in the client's best interests. However the larger property management companies and some unscrupulous cohosts do this because it's better for them.

It really is up to you as the STR owner to understand how the STR platforms you use work and the implication of allowing a cohost to set your listing up under their profile on Airbnb etc.

Your cohost couldn't have set your listing up under her profile unless you agreed for her to do so, so you do need to take some responsibility here for not doing your due diligence. 

My suggestion

1. Set your listing up under your own profile

2. Block out dates where your cohost has bookings.

3. If you don't have this arrangement in place already (you should) tell the cohost to add you to your listing under her profile as the main host or at least the cohost and set up for you to automatically receive payments for your booking (how do you currently get paid) in this way you can have access to guest messaging

4. If you don't receive the payment promptly for the first booking and you aren't added as a cohost (and you have no contract) I would be tempted to not honour any subsequent bookings (please not this is not legal advice).