Room or self-contained?

Answered!
Cindy1510
Level 2
Sorrento, Australia

Room or self-contained?

Hello

My listing is about to go live and AirBnB have said they don't have a category for the space we are listing. We live on the premises, but the guests have their own lockable door to their area which is a downstairs lounge with TV & Netflix and upstairs bedroom with bathroom & toilet, table & chairs, coffee & tea station with mini fridge. Guests also have access to their own secure garage plus and extra space on the driveway.  It's not a room with shared space as it's independent, but it's not self-contained as it doesn't have a full kitchen nor laundry. It's being called a 'room'. Seems more than that to me...? What do you think?

1 Best Answer

@Cindy1510 

To me it would be a Guest Suite....I agree with you. Maybe some other Hosts in Australia that have similar listings can chime in here?

Be sure to clearly state there is no kitchen, but you have a coffee/tea station with mini-frig. Maybe you could add a microwave as well? We would refer to that as a kitchenette; no full size oven or sink in that area.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8

Hi @Cindy1510 

I would list this as a "guest suite" with private entrance. Some would say list as an "apartment", but guest suite seems a better fit. Be sure to add  any shared spaces on the property to the space section in the listing description and under shared spaces in Property Info like driveway, back yard, deck, etc. 

Property Type Guest Suite (2).png

Hi Joan!

Thank you for your response. I don't have 'Secondary unit' as an option under Property type...? Is that something old/new or maybe particular to your country? I'm in Australia

@Cindy1510 

Hmmm....I'm in the US. What are the property types available to you? Here are the available property types for listings in the US:

Secondary Unit.png

Ah, OK. We have House / Self-contained unit / Unique space / Bed and breakfast / Boutique hotel. 

@Cindy1510 

When you choose self-contained unit what are the other options (property type & listing type) and description shown?

When you choose House what are the other options listed below that and the description?

I was just looking at that & considering it. When I choose self-contained unit, the option are Guesthouse / Guest suite / Farm stay. I checked with AirBnB Support if I can use that option & they said I still have to describe it as Room. I've just changed it, so I'll see what happens...

@Cindy1510 

To me it would be a Guest Suite....I agree with you. Maybe some other Hosts in Australia that have similar listings can chime in here?

Be sure to clearly state there is no kitchen, but you have a coffee/tea station with mini-frig. Maybe you could add a microwave as well? We would refer to that as a kitchenette; no full size oven or sink in that area.

Thank you Joan. Yes we considered a microwave and may add one at a later date. For now we have considerations re dishes etc. Also the coffee station is right underneath the smoke alarm. I set it off with just a lit candle, so it's pretty sensitive.