Room without a door

Answered!
Anneke21
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

Room without a door

I currently rent out a single (one person) private room and bathroom in my basement with private entrance. 

I have another larger room that I could rent out as well. These are my problems that I would like your opinion on:

!. If I rent out second room, there will be a shared bath with both guests making it a less desirable booking.

2. The second room is large and could have sitting area, but the entry way to room is on an angle and I can't put a door on it and currently have a curtain for privacy. Do hosts rent out rooms that don't have doors?? The space itself will be great, but I wonder if I can charge a full room amount without a door.

3. Currently I rent to 1 guest, I could have the send room as an overflow room if 2 people are traveling together. If thats the case, how much extra do I charge for the extra "room" and how would I advertise that I have the option for a second guest, but it's more of a bed in another room.

Thoughts from the wise hosts?

1 Best Answer
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Anneke21, I wouldn't think you'd get many separate bookings if there was no door on the second room. How about creating two listings - the one you already have (for the single room) and then a second listing for both rooms? If guests are travelling together, then the shared bathroom and curtain doorway should be fine (as long as you make this clear on your listing) and they can use the sitting area together. As far as price goes, since there are two rooms which means twice the cleaning/washing etc., I would charge at least double what you are charging for the one room and possibly more as they are getting more space with the sitting area etc.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Anneke21it is hard to tell without a floorplan but if both rooms are connected and have their own entrance ( separate from your space) then the door is not important if you rent it to one group of guests

Andrea from Amsterdam rents a "tent" room (just curtains separates guest's space from the rest of host's working space) , I've seen listing Split Croatia where one girl rents a real tent on her balcony, some people rent a cauch in their living room... everything is possible on Airbnb 🙂

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Anneke21, I wouldn't think you'd get many separate bookings if there was no door on the second room. How about creating two listings - the one you already have (for the single room) and then a second listing for both rooms? If guests are travelling together, then the shared bathroom and curtain doorway should be fine (as long as you make this clear on your listing) and they can use the sitting area together. As far as price goes, since there are two rooms which means twice the cleaning/washing etc., I would charge at least double what you are charging for the one room and possibly more as they are getting more space with the sitting area etc.