Sharing settings?

Answered!
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Sharing settings?

Under "Pricing" , I scrolled down and saw something I've never noticed before:  "Sharing settings."

When you click "edit," you'll see this message:  "Find out more about the listings your potential guests are checking out. If you share some details about your listing and bookings with other hosts, you can see the listings that guests end up booking after checking out your place."

Then you can either choose "Listing and Booking Details," "Booking Details," or "None."

Is this new?  And what is the advantage?  

Screenshot 2019-04-11 09.57.09.png

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ann72  @Olivia659  @Ada2463 @Brian2036 

@Ann72 , I did notice this when it was introduced back in late 2018 but I did put it to good use. Trying to work with others in my area I contacted some of those local hosts who were offering 'better deals than me,' half a dozen of us got together for a cup of coffee and we agreed to help each other out if the need ever arose!

I had the situation in early 2019 where I ended up with 2 entirely separate confirmed Airbnb reservations on my property for the same night!

How on earth could this happen you may say! Long story but a current guest wanted to extend his stay and while he was in the process of extending his booking with Airbnb support,  another guest jumped in via IB and grabbed the next night. It wasn't just as simple as that but like a I said, a long story short. Here I was with two confirmed Airbnb reservations on my property for the same night. I rang support and they were completely useless, could offer me no alternative but find a corner in my property where I could overnight house one of the confirmed bookings.

Just the sort of support you need when you need support hey!!!!!

Remembering my local contacts via that coffee meeting I did a phone around and managed to have another local host put up one of my confirmed bookings for the night. We never bothered to contact or amend any booking details with Airbnb because we all thought it would go into the 'too hard basket' so, when the reservation payment for the second guest arrived in my account I just handed it over to the other host and, all in Gods world was tranquil again! I have since been able to return the favour so it has worked out well!

To be in this business you have to be adaptable and I am quite thankful that Airbnb gave me the tools to have a relationship with other hosts in my area. That wasn't their intention, their idea was to have me lower my prices to remain competitive.....always the mercenary, but, we have all come out as winners!

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

56 Replies 56

@Ben551 

Do you know a way to insert host tags into this community forum at all?

If you know the html tags to use with the host ID's could you share please?

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Ann72  This would actually something I'm interested in. Sadly it's not an option in my area. Yet??

Of course the powers that be will probably not keep it if we actually want it.  😕

@Beth80 Ha!  You're probably right!

Tim-and-Amber0
Level 2
Louisville, CO

We also have this option, but I can't figure out how to access the information so I opted out of sharing until I can access the data.  

have you figured out how to use it yet? Im still having issues accessing this information

I am also sharing my data but not received any insights from AirBnB via email nor do I know how to access this data. Any tips?

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

I have a question regarding this:

If we're being asked to turn on this sharing feature to obtain data on other bookings, surely then other hosts would need to turn on the feature as well to allow 'us' to view their shared data? Without them switching 'on' this feature to share their data - other hosts (us) will not be permissioned to view it ?!

In an area where there are 3 options of accomodation to book and only one activates this sharing, does that mean the one will only view nothing?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 , my guess is that it will pull from surrounding areas. For instance, when I search 'Kendal' I get 300+ homes. So those properties would probably be included in the data. It just might not be too useful for you.

@Ann72, have you turned this one yet? Are you getting any good info?

@Emilia42 

I do still wonder whether ANY of those 300+ will have allowed sharing for that data to be shared? With data protection being the way it is there wouldn't be a button to 'allow' it if it wasn't something requiring specific acceptance.

@Emilia42 I left it at the default setting, but I haven't seen a thing!

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 Your suppositions sound right to me.  If everyone else opts out, no one will see anything.

Also, it's typically vague - you choose "booking settings" and are told other hosts will see "either your listing details or your booking details, but not both at the same time."  I mean, if you've chosen booking settings, shouldn't that be what other hosts see?  Not your listing details?

There should be 4 choices, not 3:  Listing & Booking Details, Listing Details, Booking Details, or None.

I'm leaving it for now out of curiosity, but will probably turn it off if it doesn't reveal anything useful.

Also, Ian, tagging people is frustrating if their names aren't on the drop-down, but you can use the down arrow next to their post heading and choose "quote" and that works kind of. 

@Ann72 

I'm leaving it for now out of curiosity, but will probably turn it off if it doesn't reveal anything useful.

I did think thats the benefit of this, having an option button you can choose, change and cancel at will. So, when you feel like checking anything I guess you can just turn it on ?

Also, Ian, tagging people is frustrating if their names aren't on the drop-down, but you can use the down arrow next to their post heading and choose "quote" and that works kind of. 

I do resort to that, but I have discovered I can navigate to a separate post, highlight and Edit>Copy a tag which works. God forbid I attempt any Command-C (copy) of  a reply including any part of @Ann72 for instance as the whole lot gets irretrievably trashed. 

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 Thanks for the edit->copy tip - I'll try that!  Sort of cumbersome, though!

And I'll let you know if I ever get any info from these sharing settings.

Kristyna-and-Petr0
Level 1
Vrchlabí, Czech Republic

Hi to everyone, please, did someone already figured out how to get any useful information from Sharing settings? We had the default setting so far.. 

Thanks so much.

I'm also wondering how to make use of the feature. 

Rajan2
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

I just submitted but I don't see how to get the shared information....hmmmm