Tip of the Week 11: Clearly describe the type of breakfast you're providing

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Tip of the Week 11: Clearly describe the type of breakfast you're providing

As we head into the 11th week of theTip of the Week series, I'm excited to share this week’s tip on clearly describing the type of breakfast  you're providing 🍵🥐

The following tip was shared by @Lorna170  on a topic where a Host asked for advice on what kind of breakfast fellow Hosts provide for their guests.

"Be very clear in your listing as to the type of breakfast that you will be providing.  Will it be cooked or packaged? Will it include an array of products or just simple items to get people on their way in the morning". 

On this thread, we invite you to share your valuable tips on how you communicate breakfast expectations with your guests. So go ahead, and tell us everything about your tips and tricks on how to clearly communicate this! 👈 📣

We’re super excited to hear and learn from you all. Let's gather the best tips on communicating breakfast expectations to your guests, and don’t forget to give a thumbs up👍 to the best tips shared. 😊

👉 TOTW series

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

15 Replies 15

@Quincy 

We are miles away from restaurants, so we do provide something to get guests going in the mornings. Everything is packaged, so that no one feels that there could be some sort of contamination or health hazard.

We leave granola, yogurt, OJ and non dairy milk in addition to a variety of coffees and teas. Most of our guests do bring ample food with them, from their fridge, store, or takeout. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Kitty-and-Creek0! Do most of your guests eat the snacks you leave for them?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy 

Good question - and now that the seasons have changed, we've added oatmeal packets and hot chocolate. 

No - most of our guests don't eat what we leave for them, but they do use the coffees, teas, and refrigerated items. Those who eat the granola, or instant oatmeal are grateful and say so. We leave high quality chocolates which are also appreciated. 

We have guests of many cultures, and they use what they like and relate to. 

This season we've shared fruits from our garden; sent guests home with a bag of apples and pears, for example. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

None.  This is the opening sentence in the listing descriptions, "The Keep Cool offers contemporarily styled, fully equipped, self-catering spaces..." All of our rentals have fully equipped kitchens/kitchenettes where the guests can prepare their meals.  We would need a food health and safety certificate to legally provide prepared food.  Currently, we're only allowed to offered sealed individually packaged shelf-stable foods.  Since shelf food is expensive on island, we normally recommend that guests to bring with them their favorite dried food items (e.g., cereals, nuts, cookies/biscuits, granola, etc.).  

We don’t provide any breakfast currently but there is a full kitchen and lots of grocery stores, restaurants, and delivery services nearby. We do have coffee though!

Patricia2526
Level 10
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Quincy 

in our listings we do not provide breakfast as part of the accommodation but surprise guests with complimentary breakfast. This sets clear expectation while also creating a pleasant surprise element 😊. We only provide Cereal & Milk, bread &  Strawberry jam, seasonal fruits, instant noodles and Coffee & Tea.

Ülle6
Level 2
Tartu, Estonia

We do not provide any breakfast but we do have coffee and tea and also fully equipped kitchen. Nowadays people have lot of different food restrictions, so it would be difficult to choose something that fits everybody.

Samantha1261
Level 1
Gold Coast, Australia

We have fully equipped kitchens, and a lot of restaurants and coffee shops nearby. We do not provide any breakfast but we do have coffee and tea etc.😊

Bettye6
Level 10
McHenry, IL

I do not provide a breakfast as where I live I would need a Food Handler & Safety Certificate plus a Food Manager License to prepare any home cooked food for my guests.

I do provide a good selection of coffee (Keurig) , ample choices of teas, creamers, and have a nibble cabinet with packaged products of oatmeal, granola bars, popcorn for the microwave, jars of spices etc. and a fully equipped kitchen so they may cook themselves. I also leave ample bottled water for their use, which is 80% used even though my tap water is tripled filtered.

There are nearby grocery stores and multiple restaurants with in minutes walk my guests can go to as well. 

I made a point and took the time to have a very extensive Bettye's Guidebook for my guests to find just about anything they need.

Thank you for the tip.  I will also include some oatmeal and popcorn for my guests. 🙂

Sandy894
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

I provide, tea coffee, milk, sugar, rusks, (a type of breakfast biscuit) . The unit has a two ringed hob and microwave /oven for eating/ordering in and is fully equipped crockery wise. There are a table and chairs on the patio for eating and shops and restaurants/coffee shops within walking distance as well.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Quincy we provide Zip, Nada, Nothing for breakfast. We have fully equipped kitchens and are 3 miles from the nearest shop so don't fancy shopping for each guest. Also I think it would waste a lot of food. We used to eave a cake for people but stopped due to the waste we were seeing.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Quincy,

Just to clarify, I think most hosts provide coffee, tea, sugar, seasonings, and maybe some condiments, but those items are general kitchen essentials, and not specifically for breakfast.  With that in mind, I believe when hosts are not including these items when they respond to your inquiry.

Marcia728
Level 2
Pompano Beach, FL

I have a “Welcome to my Home” packet that I leave in the room with detailed instructions on Internet, parking, location of everything in the kitchen and bathroom (like air dryer, body cream, extra towels, etc) - in English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French (depending on the guest) 🙂 

I have coffee, tea, and hot chocolate available for the guests, along with bread, butter and jelly (toaster as well).  And on the packet I let them known that they are welcome to help themselves to a small breakfast.  

They really appreciate that.