What do you include in a welcome message?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What do you include in a welcome message?

Welcome Message.jpg

I know many of you send a welcome message to guests who book, and this is sometimes the first interaction you’ll have with them. 

Some of our members here in the Community have mentioned that they use this opportunity to underline the House Rules, whilst others prefer to use it as a chance to get to know a little more about a guest’s reasons for staying. Perhaps you direct them to the local attractions in your area, or let them know to bring their swimsuit if you have the facilities. 

What do you like to include in your welcome message? Do your guests respond right away?

48 Replies 48
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Katie  I love everyone's messages!  @Ria16's is so smart, reiterating the obvious!  

Mine is almost identical to @Emilia42's.  I tell them I'm delighted they found the place and that I'll send more information closer to their trip, but if they have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask.

I want them to feel welcome right away and to feel secure that everything will be taken care of.  They usually have fewer questions when you make it clear you've got the whole thing in hand.  And I am honestly grateful that they found and chose my place.  There are so many choices and so many steps to take to complete a booking that guests really deserve a medal for getting across the finish line.  😂

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I agree @Ann72, I like that everyone's is slightly different and they have made them their own 😊 I think as @Anna9170 recently pointed out on another topic, it's important to show your own communication style so that guests know what to expect.

I think it's lovely that you show your appreciation for them finding and choosing your place - this kind of thing really makes a guest feel special 😁

What a great observation that a good welcome message drives far less questions from guests, too! Just goes to show that a good welcome message can help to make your hosting experience easier 👌

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Katie  I think the most important thing here is just to write to the guest quickly. So that he could feel the feedback after the reservation that the host saw the reservation, and everything is under control.😎
For me this is such an important point that the host is in touch and it is enough at the first stage.

@Anna9170  I completely agree that the quick response to a reservation is the most important thing.  After they get that response they should feel they've got nothing to worry about except getting there.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Super interesting @Anna9170, so the welcome message serves the purpose of being more psychological, or 'actions more than words'. 

I think you're absolutely right - I guess as a guest if you book and don't hear back from the host within a day or so then it can make you a bit doubtful! 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Katie @Ann72 @Anna9170 @Ria16 @J-Renato0 

I also always thank the guest for booking and suggest they let me know if there's anything else to feel free to msg me.

All guest are different and have different needs, some of mine are here for fun, others conferences, study or in case of a pending one an unwell relation, others have booked for funerals and weddings.

They all require differing needs so adjust the tone accordingly.

My listing is very thorough so cover all basis however suggest they bring swimwear if they are staying a few days over our heavenly sunny summer.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Helen427, sounds like you've got a good routine of mentioning all the most important things 😊

Do you often get a reply to your welcome message at all?

Michelle1164
Level 10
Clearwater, KS

@Katie  In my greeting I include the liability waiver all guests are expected to sign upon arrival. I would ask for a response back to acknowledge they understood the terms but would not get many replies back before their arrival. So I changed it up a little and haven’t had any issues since. To some this may seem extremes, but I want to be up front with all guest so they know what to expect when staying in our home.  
this is what I send now: 

Hello [Guest Name],
Thank you for making a reservation request with us.

As mentioned in our listings on the Airbnb website: You and [your guest] may be asked to show valid government issued ID. We also ask all non-minor guests to sign a hold harmless agreement, upon arrival. The agreement reads as follows: Because I understand I am fully responsible for the actions and well-being of myself, and if applicable my minor children, I Agree to hold harmless and indemnify (hosts), their heirs, agents, beneficiaries, employees, associates of any sort against any and all claims including, without limitation to expenses, judgements, fines, settlements and other amounts actually and reasonably incurred in connection with any liability, suit, action loss or damage arising or resulting from my participation as an AIRBNB guest in their home or on their property located at (host address).

Kindly reply to this message stating whether or not you agree to follow our listing description, House Rules and the hold harmless agreement above. Should you not agree with these terms, simply cancel your reservation request so these dates can become available to other guests. If a reply to this message is not received within 24 hours of your initial inquiry, we will assume you are no longer interested in staying in our home. Your inquiry or request will be disregarded for not responding within Airbnb’s allotted time frame, so that our response rating will not be affected.

We look forward to hearing from you soon. If you accept these terms, we will be in touch.

Your Airbnb hosts,
John & Michelle

“It’s not where you go, it’s who you meet along the way.” Wizard of Oz

Hi @Michelle1164,

thank you to share your experience! 

You partially answered my question sbelow and I hadn't seen your message before. Otherwise I would have included you on the list!

To be honest, your message is a little too long for my personal thoughts. 

Maybe you could write to check your house rules in your ad and there insert more indications. Moreover It seems to me a "too legal" message.

Obviously the beauty of Airbnb is that everyone does what they prefer to feel safer, everything is fine and certainly your message too. Mine is just an impression of someone who is inexperienced and knows nothing about you an your home 😊

@Francesco1366  It's not just a matter of feeling safe, but doing our part to protect our assets. I understand some may think this is "too legal" and may scare them off, but I'm ok with that. Airbnb does the same with their 50+ pages of terms and conditions agreement they expects all guests and hosts to read and understand. As well as with their Host Guarantee and Host Protection Insurance provisions. 

I have read all of the above mentioned documents and way to many posts within this forum and others that leave me skeptical as to whether Airbnb really has our backs if something unspeakable should happen while hosting. For this reason I feel it's in my husband and I's best interest to do our part in protecting ourselves.

Yes, in my welcome greeting I do reiterate for guests to read house rules and even our listing description. But as so many have mentioned on this forum a majority of guests really don't read them but say they did. Guests actions throughout their stay reveals to the hosts  who did and who didn't actually read the house rules. 

Best of hosting to you as you start this adventure with Airbnb. You mentioned you host on other platforms. Which ones are they? 

@Michelle1164,

thanks for your message! I really appreciate your point of view and I agree with it.

I work mainly with booking, then the usual but very little as Vrbo, Tripadvisor, e-domizil passing from some where nobody has ever contacted me as misterbnb: not sure I'm still here. I prefer to use as many places as possible, also some italian site very basic and years ago I tried to sell on ebay 😂

However, I started here years ago with a house that I later rented in another way.

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing @Michelle1164, it looks like this works well for you and your listing - quite a few of our hosts have agreed that it is good to reiterate the rules or key information in this message. 

Do you find that any guests question the agreement at all, or ask for more info?

@Katie There is only one guest who really had a problem with it, but it was before I used to send the wordage of it to them before their stay. Since I started including it in welcome greeting I have not had any issues. One asked for a copy after he signed it, which I was fine with. He has since been back several times so it obviously doesn't bother him and he signs and dates a new one with each visit.

I agree hosts should reiterate to read house rules and key info in their welcome greetings. 

@Ann72 , @Anna9170@Ria16@Helen427@Katie (sorry if i forget someone),

Thank you very much for your comments and concrete examples!

It seems to me, that no one refers to the house rules. Do you mention them (or the most important or an advice to check in your page) in another message? Do you think you have normal rules that don't need to be underlined? Do you think that Airbnb already highlights them well enough and therefore need not be underlined? Or what else? If you have time and desire to reply. Thank you!

In my experience about three years ago (I have now received no reservations yet), the house rules were often / occasionally little known by guests. For example, in Italy it is compulsory in many properties (like mine) to sign a lease agreement and collect the identity documents of all guests: not respecting these rules could cause fines and even criminal charges due to anti-terrorism laws. So, I think at least I will blandly specify these rules at first contact with guests, immediately after the booking confirmation if I choose instant booking.

@Francesco1366  I think you would be right to re-state those rules in your welcome message.  I have read them on your listing and some guests will have seen them, but as you suspect, not too many.  I would put the most immediately necessary ones first - for instance, sign a lease, present an ID, and pay the tourist tax.

I put most of my house rules in the house manual - the rules that they don't really need to know before they book or before they get there.  I find they always read them because they have to read the house manual to find out where the coffeemaker is and how to use the TV.  As a result I have very few problems with people following the rules.