What happened to the unique notification sound of Airbnb?

Answered!

What happened to the unique notification sound of Airbnb?

Hi folks 👋

The topic here is the new notification sound effect that occurs when a guest writes or when a new booking is triggered.

I'm not sure if this changed due to an iOS update or an Airbnb app update. However, what I've noticed is that the distinctive and attention-grabbing notification sound of Airbnb is no longer present (link to unique Airbnb notification sound effect: https://prodigits.co.uk/content/ringtones/tone/2020/alert/airbnb_bb906f114930880.mp3).
I'm feeling a bit desperate now because I'm constantly missing messages, and I can't respond as quickly as I used to. The new notification sound is hardly noticeable and audible; it's so generic and simplistic, and it sounds the same as all my other apps. 😞

I've tried to resolve this issue, but it seems that Airbnb's app is missing a feature – the ability to add a custom sound effect. I'll attach screenshots: on left, for example, "Reminders," and on right from Airbnb.
In "Reminders," I can change the sound to whatever I prefer, so I can easily identify it as a Reminder and perhaps ignore it for the time being. However, Airbnb's app doesn't offer this option; I can't customize it. Therefore, I have no idea which app the notification sound belongs to. 🤷

Reminders app on the left side; Airbnb's app on the right side:
Left: Reminders; Right: AirbnbLeft: Reminders; Right: Airbnb

⚠️With this new notification sound effect, I encounter three issues:

1. I have to continually check every notification sound to determine if it's from Airbnb or not.
  2. My response rate decreases, leading to less satisfied guests.
  3. And this situation is incredibly stressful for me, resulting in a poor user experience.

⁉️ Now I'm hopeful that someone else may be experiencing the same issue and perhaps can offer a suitable solution.

Alternatively, perhaps Airbnb, being a forward-thinking company, can introduce a simple feature to allow users to add a custom sound effect. This way, everyone can select their unique sound effect to ensure the best user experience and a high level of guest satisfaction. 🤞

regards, Ben 👋 

1 Best Answer

⚠️
For those who join and support this change request, it is something only Airbnb can change! To achieve this, I would ask you to please provide feedback to Airbnb using this link (provided by
@Paula Airbnb-Admin): 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/feedback?locale=en&_set_bev_on_new_domain=1700421572_ZWRjZWQ5NWU1MDI1

(I think it is sufficient to simply inform them that you desire the option to select a sound effect for the notifications and include the URL of this thread in your feedback). 🤞 

Thanks and regards

Ben 👋 

View Best Answer in original post

55 Replies 55

I have the same issue but this work around with text messages will not work for me because even though I have text notifications turned on I do not get them. I only get the push notifications and email. Text stop working some time ago. I hope Airbnb listens to the community and makes this a top priority. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Ben5101 I think the bigger question here is WHY mess with the notification sound??? Of all the areas on the AirBnB platform and app that need improvement, why was changing the notification sound so important? Why mess with it at all?? That's what puzzles me the most. Go figure. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ben5101  I agree, I am also missing ABB notifications and my guests have to wait for my response sometimes for hours

It could be an app programming glitch, I hope ABB will solve it soon

this does seem like something that Airbnb should fix. I really miss that sound!  All of my alerts are a bit “off” so it must have to do with some IOS update 

Hi @Mary-C43 

You are right!  This is kinda the "perfect storm" scenario. Apple changed the default tone for text alerts recently (17.??) to something barely audible (can't remember the name of the tone). Then, around the same time, Airbnb removed the distinctive alert tone from the App itself. Result? Many missed messages from guests as Hosts were not notified that the tone was removed from the App and Apple changed the default tone to something barely audible. 😳 😩

Liz5782
Level 2
Bristol, United Kingdom

I thought it was something wrong with my phone, when I kept missing messages from Airbnb cos I didn’t hear it.

I want the old notification alert restored !  Any chance??? 

perhaps Airbnb could respond…?  

Absolutely agree I can no longer hear the notifications as the new one is a simple ping. Absolutely horrible change!

Hi @Eric-And-Mirjam0 

You are right!  This is kinda the "perfect storm" scenario. Apple changed the default tone for text alerts recently (17.??) to something barely audible (can't remember the name of the tone). Then, around the same time, Airbnb removed the distinctive alert tone from the App itself. Result? Many missed messages from guests as Hosts were not notified that the tone was removed from the App and Apple changed the default tone to something barely audible. 

Try changing your default text tone to something different and/or use the work-around mentioned in this thread for now. Hopefully they will add the tone back to the App!

⚠️
For those who join and support this change request, it is something only Airbnb can change! To achieve this, I would ask you to please provide feedback to Airbnb using this link (provided by
@Paula Airbnb-Admin): 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/feedback?locale=en&_set_bev_on_new_domain=1700421572_ZWRjZWQ5NWU1MDI1

(I think it is sufficient to simply inform them that you desire the option to select a sound effect for the notifications and include the URL of this thread in your feedback). 🤞 

Thanks and regards

Ben 👋 

Thank you for this link!  I couldn’t understand how I missed an Airbnb inquiry yesterday as there was no notification!    We really do rely on that notification.  I hope they will add it back in as we get into our busy season.  

I just sent the request into them. 

Thanks for the support @Willene1 

it is very important to complain about this issue at the provided link above. 👆 Otherwise they do not react on this issue. 

And you are right, the busy season is in sight. 🤞

Thanks for providing the link. I sent in my request for the restoration of the old tone. I have a degree of hearing loss but the old tone was within my hearing range so I nearly always heard it. (We lovingly called the sound "the money train.")

Appreciatively,

Michael

Johnnie10
Level 2
Poland, IN

same thing here...i hate that new barely audible sound and i miss it every time.  now there's also an app issue and it won't process messages coming in or out .  i've contacted support but i don't think they have any idea on what to do with a phone app issue.

I literally missed multiple notifications for possible booking inquires this week because I didn’t hear the sound on my phone /didn’t hear the airbnb distinct sound to alert me to check my messages asap 

so frustrating because like the poplov dog my body’s been trained to react immediately to that sound on high alert even in a deep sleep

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Ben5101 and everyone,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the app sound notifications.

As always, your insights, suggestion are very important to us in helping us improve and enhance your overall experience. The conversation here about Airbnb App notifications has been very helpful.

The product team has recently been looking at new ways of improving engagement with important notifications. I can assure you your feedback has been shared with Airbnb's product teams.

Thank you,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad