What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

What's your preferred check-in system and style?

Guest arrival and Check-InGuest arrival and Check-In

Hi Everyone! 

Usually when the guests arrive at the listing, every Host has a different style and check-in system in place to greet guests and help them access the listing. Some Hosts prefer virtual check-in while some Hosts may like to meet their guests in person and guide them through the listing. 

Based on your hosting style and guest requirements, the check-in window for guests can also widely vary. While few Hosts accommodate a flexible check-in time for the guests, some Hosts may find that a standard check-in time works well for their listing. 

I'd like to invite our Hosts to share what's their hosting style when guests arrive to the listing. 

What's your preferred method and approach for guests checking into your property? How long is your check-in window? Is there a particular sweet spot? Do you offer flexible check in to your guests? Do you change the check-in times depending on the seasons?

Looking forward to your insights and suggestions! 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

69 Replies 69
Paul9794
Level 2
County Kerry, Ireland

The day before a guest arrives I send a message with detailed information how to find us and a picture of our entrance. I always meet our guests on arrival with a quick meet and greet and let them know I am available at any time. I will contact our guest mid stay to check that they are happy. For me, it is so important that our guests experience an escape from the world.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's such a kind and welcoming approach @Paul9794 ! Do your guests compliment you in the reviews for your thoughtfulness? Do you live nearby the listing to help guests whenever they need?

-----

F--Cal0
Level 1
Springfield, IL

we provide the code to your room and the front door  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks for sharing @F--Cal0 ! 🌻 Which smart lock integration do you use for a smooth check-in for guests? 

-----

Scott1902
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi Bhumika,

I use a lockbox system for guest check-ins, paired with a detailed description of directions and a step-by-step check-in guide with photos. While in-person check-ins can create a great first impression, managing multiple listings makes it challenging to coordinate exact arrival times. The lockbox approach offers flexibility and convenience for both me and my guests.

Best regards,

Scott 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

It makes so much sense @Scott1902 ! How do you ensure correct and relevant information is being passed on to the guests, especially when working with multiple listings? 😃

-----

Luke625
Level 2
Columbia Falls, MT

My lock autogenerates a code and sends to the guest at booking. It is only active during their stay.

Guests receive the listing address before they book, I don't keep it a secret.

Guests see the check-in instructions on the app/website and the keypad is in a very obvious spot.

I rarely interact with my guests unless they have a question. My digital guidebook has instructions for everything inside the home and things are clearly labeled. Most guests I've never talked to, they just receive my autogenerated messages.

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

Hi @Bhumika!

We offer self check in or in person and most people choose the self check-in option. A guest can check in anytime after 4pm (check out is before 11am), and a greeting and questions are sent upon booking (where are you coming from, is this a special occasion, all guests must be registered on the platform, do you prefer a quick tour or a self check in). I also send my guidebook to the area and ask them to reach out if they have any questions.

We send detailed instructions 24-48 hours prior to arrival and the arrival guide has step by step pics and captions on where to park and how to get in, and a scheduled message reminder of check in 5 days prior to arrival, with house rules sent 2-3 days prior to arrival (this is sent in messages so they can find anything and how all appliances work in addition to general house rules - quiet times, no shoes please, etc). I use scheduled messages for this.

The only problem is if someone instant books the day before then none of the scheduled messages go out other than the confirmation welcome message. I’ve brought the issue up with customer service but it appears the option to send the messages that were planned ahead for directions and house rules is not available by scheduled messages. 

We haven’t had issues other than guests who don’t have their notifications on, or guests who don’t read their messages (and there were quite a few…). We have had guests park in the wrong spot, go up our back stairs (the ADU is on the side of the house), go to our backyard gate, etc. We usually are near our phone or home to assist if there are any issues and we have security cameras outside that alert us when our guests arrive. With every mishap, I’ve gone into our messages or arrival guide to tweak it to make it even more apparent where to park, how to get to the unit, as well as how to get in. I’ve tried to make my house manual “dummy proof” and assume someone has no idea how to operate anything so I am detailed in how to turn things on, use the washer/dryer, the ac/heat, list where there are manuals, etc.

Guests are grateful for the detailed instructions on every appliance and location of necessities. It took a long time to create but was completely worth it. I only recently had to put in the welcome that we understand you may want to move things around but please put them back in their place as we have a guide for the next guests where items are. This happened after some long term guests moved around all the dishes/pots/pans, bathroom items, and it took me a while to put them all back in their place. 

If guests check in late, I try to be available in case of mishaps and this is helpful to prevent any confusion. Late check ins are inevitable when a flight comes in late, or if you are road tripping and you end up coming in later than expected due to traffic or other issues. Late night arrivals are challenging if the hosts do not have clear detailed check in instructions. 

Hermien8
Level 3
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Self check in is the only way for me. And super convenient!

Irakli52
Level 1
Tbilisi, Georgia

Restore me as an Airbnb community expert . Auto-check in