how long does it take to turn over a big house?

how long does it take to turn over a big house?

Enhanced cleaning during covid takes a lot longer than normal, how many labor hours are hosts finding it takes to turn over a large 4-6 bedroom house?

9 Replies 9
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

It takes two cleans to turn over our 1400 and change 2 bed 2 bath cottage with COVID. The cleaners go first for about 2-3 hours (more time if extra laundry or dishes needs to happen) and we go after to re-disinfect, re-dust and put the finishing touches on the place for the next arrival-- wine in the fridge, welcome note and little chalkboard with their name on it, pillows placed the right way etc. It takes us another 1-1.5 hours. So I would probably double that for a house twice the size or triple for three times. We are very diligent about our cleaning though. Some might say OCD. We got dinged a few times early on by very picky guests so now we try our best to be picky proof.

We always say if we do another Airbnb it will never be bigger than the one we have now. Too much of a chance for parties and too much to clean and launder.

Thanks Laura, Do you mind me asking what you charge for cleaning? Mike 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Mike2209  Five to eight hours, depending on number of bathrooms and quantity of sheets and towels.

For my larger listing I charge $255 for cleaning.  That's based on 7 hours at $35 an hour, plus $10  because Airbnb takes a percentage of that fee.  

Thanks for the response Ann. Our experience is similar to yours, about 8 hrs. of labor to fully be ready for the next guests, I guess we need to charge more for cleaning, do you get complaints at $255?

@Mike2209  Thank you, and I love yours, too!  I don't get any complaints at all.  Not one in six years.  I don't know if they grumble when they book, but when they get here and find the place spotless and well maintained, any complaints must fly out the window before I hear them.

Love your places! 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Mike2209 

Turning over our larger house in compliance with the enhanced cleaning protocol would probably require 12-16 person-hours. (We're not doing it.)

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mike2209,

The largest space that I have to rent is an 1,100 s.f. 2 bed/2 bath apartment.  We have always had a pretty stringent cleaning process, which encompasses many of Airbnb's Enhanced Cleaning Protocol, but excludes things like washing the curtains and walls.  It takes about 8 hours to do a turn over.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

it takes my cleaner 6 hours to clean my 5 br house that is about 3000 sq feet. She spends approx. additional 3 hours every third- fourth check out to deeper clean some areas. I charge $225. I also spend about an hour or two every other check in to clean/check/go over some things