new host, first guest

Evonne17
Level 2
Tampa, FL

new host, first guest

Just checked out my first guest from our rental and came across the following conditions. I'm asking for advise on how to rate this guest, given the fact that it's my very first guest, and she apparently has never used Airbnb. Should I just bite my tongue or divulge so the next potential host is aware:

Several broken items (door accessory, drinking glasses, kitchen curtain rod hanging off the wall) stained the kitchen sink floor mat, left sticky spills and stains that had to be scrubbed off surfaces and the floors, left the exterior side door open/unlatched when checking out, left the fridge and freezer full of food and had to be cleaned from top to bottom, put a burn mark in the living room rug, slid the queen bed over and broke the center support leg, stained the queen comforter, left new beach towel in yard and in the rain, left garbage under the beds, closet and bathroom, rearranged the curtains in the sun-room, left the A/C set to 60 upon checking out, relocated the patio furniture, got food stuck in our living room carpet in several spots and left many personal items behind.

This seems like a long list and was certainly more than what I was expecting from two late 20's professionals on vacation.

Regards, Evonne
20 Replies 20

@Evonne17  Yeah, that's a weird review given your experience. Most grown-ups don't need to be told not to burn a hole in the living room rug or leave a curtain rod dangling from the wall. I honestly don't know why you would take responsibility for not telling guests how to act. This isn't forgetting to load the dishwasher.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 - Or @Evonne17 's community post is a thing of fiction, whimsical even........

I do like your prose by the way.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Evonne17 Out of interest, what star ratings did you give her?

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Evonne17  what happened? U came on here and asked for advice and help and u were given the perfect advice from some of the best hosts and THEN what happened? Ur review shifted the blame and responsibilities to yourself....wow, sorry this a a great disservice to your fellow hosts , US.  We work to have each other's backs and share reviews and info and send warnings to  help our hosting to be  the best it can be. Sorry, I'm disappointed that you missed one of the most important parts to being a host. What a shame. Better hosting in future.... Clara

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Well, I guess this is a perfect example in real time of why so many awful guests have great reviews.  

@Evonne17  I'm sorry if you feel like everyone is jumping on your back for trying to give a polite review to your first guest. Perhaps you acted out of uncertainty of what you had the right to expect, which is understandable. But I would have to ask - if you genuinely believed that these guests' behavior was the norm you could expect from all your future guests, would you still feel that hosting was right for you?