super host status

Judy172
Level 2
Weaverville, NC

super host status

We recently lost our Super Host status after 5 years. I reached out to Airbnb about it and was told it was because we had two reservations canceled by guests (totally beyond our control) during the Super Host review period. I'd understand if WE canceled 2 reservations...  Has anyone else experienced this? It seems terribly unfair.

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Judy172 

Reservations cancelled by guests do not affect your ratings.

Did Airbnb CS seriously told you this was the reason for loosing Superhost status ?

Must be something else which has affected your Superhost status.

Dit you have a look in your statistics (menu Insight) ?

Yes, our cancellation rate went from under 1% to 1.3%. I chatted with them to find out why, and was told it was the two cancellations by guest. i have the chat transcript. All of the other categories are stellar ratings.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Judy172 

Are you sure the guest cancelled themself (Not have sent you a request for cancel, which you approved, nor Airbnb have cancelled for the guests on your behalf ?)

I am sure. We always ask the guest to cancel.

@Judy172 If you receive a ‘guest requests to cancel’ message and you accept, it counts as a host cancel. Did you perhaps fall for this nasty trick? Never cancel for a guest. A guest always has the ability to cancel on their own steam by doing so through their trips dashboard. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

If a host accepts a guest's request to cancel, I take it that this would not show up on their profile/reviews as a host cancellation? I ask because I can't see any host cancellations flagged on @Judy172's profile in the past year.

@Huma0 I’m not sure how that works normally, but Airbnb did cease the auto ‘cancel review’ during the pandemic, so everyone is exempt.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

Ah, that makes sense! 

I did not have to cancel any stays. My guests did that for me 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Judy172 

This is completely off topic, but I noticed something when looking at your profile. You have fantastic reviews and I think it's great that you respond to many of them. However, in your responses, do not bring up issues that the guest only mentioned in private feedback and not in the public review. There is no need for that (send them a private message about it instead). You are just highlighting small issues that you don't need to. If the guest thought it was a huge deal, they would have mentioned it in the public review and downrated you accordingly. They are giving you private feedback precisely because they just wanted to tell you that privately. You don't need to let all future guests know about it!