5K Super Host Grant

Darrell60
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

5K Super Host Grant

Why are Superhosts with more than two properties excluded from receiving the $5K grant??  Just when I thought Airbnb was going to do something right. Most casual STR are only supplementing their income. I have 4 STR and these are my only income. I have lost over $25K just in March and April cancellations. I have 4 mortgages to pay and have zero income. Airbnb please reconsider your requirements to receive aid. You are excluding the Hosts that most need your support. 

78 Replies 78

@Elaina5 

Above the actual video in that email is a heading for a text overview. It has a link mentioning the superhost grant and sends you to a heading "The Superhost Relief Fund" where it states "we'll invite you to apply". I meet the criteria provided but have not received an "invitation":/ Hope this is all over soon!

@Elaina5 

Just USA super host?? 

the invitation is written Airbnb details o the page but was forgotten to be spoken of on the video..

I guess a sharing primary home USA owner seems to be the one who get invited for evaluation.. well every body is getting the impact might as well some one get the benefits.. it is not a  surprise that not every one will equally get the supporting benefits.. since there are no enough money to help all the economic recession impact home owner.. 

no body have money this days.. I don't even know if Bali can even recover from this..  but, no body knows what tomorrow brings.. we probably get wipe out by the tequila -20 (an evolve virus from the covid -19).. or maybe receive a better world as a result of the crazy lockdown.. what ever it is.. we can only find out if we endure it.. 

even though I'm quite exhausted with the discrimination, jealousy, negativity of my island especially when my income has gone down the drain.. 

I give up expecting helps.. good will is not some thing I can demand of some one.. 

Jeffrey Bong

@Manasui0 @Elaina5   I don't know where you got the idea that it is only available to US hosts. It doesn't say anything to that effect. It says the grant will be $5000 US, that doesn't mean only US hosts are eligible. If you are eligible, you'd get that amount in the equivalent currency of your country.

@Sarah977 

aah .. thanks sarah.. 

Jeffrey Bong

10 years and 22 times! That's truly amazing. Congrats. I'm curious have you ever rec'd anything from airbnb in recognition for this feat? If so, what? 

I saw someone posted a really cool trinket they got from airbnb for 5 years of superhost. I forget what it was but I'm shooting for 5 years! 2 more to go. @Susan17 

@Sarah977 
All 22 of my listings are campsites (treehouses, yurts, tipi, etc) that I have hand-built on my own farm as a means to pay the mortgage.  I don't own 22 homes with 22 mortgages and as they are rustic campsites are not suitable for year-round rental, nor can I sell them. Please understand that there are exceptions.

@HomeGrown-HideAways0   That sounds very cool. I have made tipis before and lived in one off and on for many years. I even have the book, first published in 1957, The Indian Tipi, by Reginald and Gladys Laubin, which gives the history, various types of tipis that were used by native Americans, and drawings and instructions for construction.

Sorry about jumping to conclusions. You do indeed have unique listings, and not the kind of hosts I was referring to. I'm just getting weary of reading one after another outraged complaints from hosts who are basically property managers with tons of entire house listings who have far more options for dealing with the present loss of income than those who host purely on their own property where they also live.

How did you pay the mortgage on the farm prior to airbnb? You may just have to go back to doing whatever that was, for a while until this all blows over. 

I think the superhost grants are aimed at folks that are doing airbnb "the right way"... the way airbnb founders started it and intended for it to continue on. I don't think they expected that a gluttonous few people would create a STR cottage industry from their idea.  

If you can't pay the mortgage without airbnb income, you're doing it wrong. 

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I think the basic logic is that if you have more than 2 listings then you are doing this as business rather than casual. In that sense you are obligated to learn some basic business to do it right. For example, relying on a 10k per month cash flow to pay 5k mortgage without any savings for at least 2-3 months coverage or insurance coverage is a very bad business model to begin with. Also the 25% return for those cancelled reservations should help enough to pay off the bills due. You can't expect to earn the same revenue in this situation than before.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nanxing0 

Yes, but the logic is flawed. Many home hosts, like me, have more than one listing in their own home, because you usually need to list each bedroom separately, even if it is in the same property and that is your only property.  As others have posted, you may have different listings to represent different configurations within that home. It doesn't mean you are a 'business' host with multiple properties. The criteria should depend on the number of properties, not the number of listings.

Also, as I mention below, no one is getting 25%! Brian Chesky made a point of stressing that figure in his announcement because it sounds better than the reality which is that some hosts will get 12.5% max and the rest will probably get nothing.

Airbnb have found ways to make sure that most hosts will receive absolutely no help from this package.

@Huma0 Agree. The criteria should be depend on the number of properties for sure but I guess they are just trying to make the process simpler by cutting off at 2 listings. Also the presented number 25% looks much better than the way it actually works. 

I think there might be some legal or public relation thoughts behind the 2 listings limitation. As far as I know most US cities and townships have regulations regarding the maximum unrelated families that can live in the same household the same time, which is 3 in Philadelphia. Apparently a lot of townships and neighbors don't like to see us bringing in too many strangers all the time. This is especially a problem in small community suburbs while in central cities most people don't care. I guess Airbnb simply doesn't want to give the public such impression that they are supporting hosts to list as many listings as possible so they will get more criticized.

@Nanxing0  It sounds like you are thinking that someone with 3 or more listings is listing entire homes and has at least 3? That's not at all the case- many hosts just rent out 2 bedrooms in their home. Then they have a 3rd listing, which just consists of both the bedrooms together, in case they get 2 couples, or a couple with kids, who want both bedrooms at once. That's the only way you can make that sort of option available to guests. So even though there are 3 listings, there are only 2 bedrooms for rent. I actually wonder if Brian Chesky even realizes how his own platform works. Many of those hosts are retired folks, single parents, or single people- they aren't big time players, by any means, and may really rely on the extra income to make ends meet. 

@Sarah977 Understand. I didn't think about this situation though. I also have a whole house listing that consists of all units as well. 

But on the other hand I still think it's difficult to make everyone happy in this case since it's a global pandemic and everyone is affected. Even if Airbnb announces to pay 100% according to the cancellation policy there will still be some hosts unhappy because they had the flexible cancellation, which is truly an issue as well. 

@Sarah977 You have exactly described my situation: three listings but only two bedrooms in my Canadian home, which I occupy.

I'm a retired, divorced senior who relies on Airbnb income to supplement other revenue. It would seem my 3 active listings disqualify me for the Superhost Relief Fund. 

@Nanxing0 I think your assumptions and your math is VERY flawed. First of all 12.5% of cancelled qualifying reservations will not pay the bills in most cases. People who only rent out rooms is still a business. So your "bad business model" can still be extended to shared listings.