Air Bnb Hosts Paid Sick and Family leave during Covid 19

Robert1249
Level 2
Washington, DC

Air Bnb Hosts Paid Sick and Family leave during Covid 19

I read in Washington Post today that gig workers (among others) who are affected by Covid 19 are entitled to paid sick and family leave.  It specifies gig workers "People who are self-employed but work for another employer — e.g. Lyft and Uber drivers"  are entitled to receive the sick leave.  It doesn't mention Air bnb specifically but would this include Air Bnb hosts who rely on that hosting income to get by?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robert1249  Airbnb's TOS specifically states that hosts are not considered to be their employees. 

I see, thanks  Perhaps Lyft and Uber drivers are technically considered "employees" to those companies so they get the benefits.

@Robert1249 There may be room for argument at this point. It would seem to me that hosts are not really running their own business when the policies they set can be thrown out by Airbnb (such as the 100% refunds given to guests during the coronavirus that hosts never approved); in fact, most everything we do with guests is dictated by Airbnb. Which makes us an employee, it would seem, in a certain sense. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

we are not self employed in the way a gig worker is, we run our own businesses @Robert1249