AirBnB's current refund policy is DISGUSTING and DANGEROIUS

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

AirBnB's current refund policy is DISGUSTING and DANGEROIUS

I'll  not go into details because they're so startlingly obvious. AirBnB's current refund-free cancellation policy ( only for bookings commencing by April 14) is stunningly out of touch with reality. It not only leaves many guests in financial limbo, but it's also horrifyingly out of touch with WHO and CDC recommendations. The current Coronavirus situation will NOT be over by April 14 (or even July 14, or later). AirBnb's self-serving and greedy policies are putting millions at risk. These policies HAVE TO END.

If they don't end VERY SOON, I'll simply exit AirBnB permanently, and I urge others to do the same.

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dede0 The start date or March 14 was reasonable, as anyone who wasn't aware of the pandemic, and still booked for travel after that, had to have been living under a rock. But I think we're going to see the check-in date of April 14 extended. Nothing is written in stone at this point, it's constantly being re-evaluated.

Joe591
Level 2
Sedona, AZ

Airbnb is literally stealing our money. They were paid in advance, banked it, made interest on it (millions) and then gave it back without hosts receiving anything. What a scam! I knew that when this virus hit many would take advantage, but never thought it about Airbnb. Disgraceful!! For real!!

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I am getting cancellations from 0 review guests who simply want a refund because they want to save money or because their plans changed. AirBnB's guests may be new, but they are veterans of "playing the game".

I have one guest who cancelled on the premise of CV, but told me it was because his friend's wedding is post-poned. This is exploiting the situation and guests like this 0 reviewed one should be banned.

Earl126
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I booked before the March date &  booked for April23 in Panama City the concert I was attending got canceled, currently restaurants, beaches, and courses are closed. I am mandated to stay for 14 days by the mayor Atlanta. The host will not give me a full refund because is April 14. What the hell I'm going do there?

Sorry,having trouble texting on this phone. I'm at home until April 6th.   My reservations are after April 14th.

@Earl126  Just relax and hang tight. The deadline for cancellations will likely be extended. And some guests are getting fully refunded even if the dates don't fall within the current policy. Airbnb support lines are swamped right now, but you can try contacting them. It's not like most of us on lockdown or self-isolating by choice can't just put the phone on speaker and wait until someone hopefully picks up. 

As @Sarah977  says, just be patient. As unrealistic as AirbnB's current policies currently are, I feel certain that they'll be adjusting them constantly as this thing progresses. Personally, I expect an adjustment on or immediately after April 1, extending the full-refund period for probably 2 weeks. Then I expect that sort of change to continue every 1 or 2 weeks until the worldwide and US numbers trend down in a big way.

Yes, AirBnB are money-grubbing assholes, but they'll slowly come around...

I'm just gonna repeat my earlier complaint -- AirBnB is being horrifically irresponsible by holding the no-questions refund cancellation date to April 14. The date, at a minimum, ought to be something more like the end of May. I'm disgusted and saddened by AirBnB's profiteering. And reconsidering our relationship with them.

Meanwhile, we've blocked our calendar through early July and will block further if necessary. This isn't about money -- it's about LIVES.

Shame on AirBnB. Especially for their pretense about caring.