COVID-19 Corona Virus --AIRBNB MUST STOP ABUSING HOSTS

COVID-19 Corona Virus --AIRBNB MUST STOP ABUSING HOSTS

I have called AND I have used online support – and in both instances Airbnb staff has refused to answer all my questions – and insist on repeating circular platitudes and outright doublespeak, and only answer the questions they wish I had asked.

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Why has Airbnb decided to throw hosts under the bus?

SECOND QUESTION: Why can’t we talk to people above customer support? Does it mean that Greg Greely, President doesn’t really care at all about what hosts think – and he really just prefers to send out imperious mass mailings claiming ERRONEOUSLY that Airbnb is trying to support hosts when that is clearly not the case. 

THIRD QUESTION: Why does the “Feedback” form say that Airbnb is actually not going to respond? How arrogant.

Hosts, please tell Airbnb that this is completely unacceptable.

The changes to the cancellation policy/extenuating circumstances are completely ridiculous. I have a strict cancellation policy. The pandemic is not my fault, but Airbnb is taking the position that it is.

Change the extenuating circumstances policy back. Airbnb made it. Airbnb can change it.

People can and will cancel both in general and during the pandemic. There is nothing wrong with that; it’s a reality. There was an equitable tier of three cancelation options to deal with that. And then Airbnb changed them to be totally unfair to hosts.

I am ready to receive guests. It is not my fault they can’t come. I did not force them to select a place with a strict cancellation policy.

I have a strict cancellation policy because I depend on this income.  Airbnb is saying: we don’t really care about that. Airbnb saying that they are more concerned about my health than my economic situation is completely PATERNALISTIC and something I can do for myself, thank you. The governor and the mayor of New York have not closed the city, and hotels are open, although large places of public assembly are closed. My apartment is not a large place of public assembly and guests are welcome here.

Why has Airbnb broken the original terms that I was agreeing to  when having guests in my room?

Why does Airbnb not care about taking my income away?

Why does Airbnb not care about my community and the communities of other hosts  -- particularly when those communities need support the most? Airbnb has decided to appropriate images and stories of our neighborhoods sand cities for their  lovely expensive marketing materials, but has decided to  ignore those same communities when they are having financial difficulties. Airbnb can sure talk the talk…

Penultimately, as a senior, a s a LGBTQ person, as an urban resident, and as someone on a severely reduced income I am sure that this change is going to affect populations like those most.  Why is Airbnb not concerned about the inequity of its policies?

Finally, what I the address of the Airbnb New York office? As the vast majority of my reservations have canceled and no new ones are being made, I may need to move there as soon as April 1.

Clearly Airbnb hosts are not being heard -- and obviously we are not getting our message across.

2 Replies 2
Cathy545
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

funny...I try to join conversation and I get blocked

ahhh looky looky.  After several attempts to get my opinion up here on several different strings I actually was able to do so just now.  Love the rubbish of extenuating circumstance since we don't have a problem out here either.  Renters just now canceled 14 hours before checking......had we been given enough time we would of been able to put back out on the net.  I've stopped all instant bookings and will promote other websites that have3 backed their homeowners/property managers.  Buy your own **bleep** policy, or allow a third party to offer on the web site.