Corona thrival vs. survival

Mike323
Level 9
Middletown, PA

Corona thrival vs. survival

A flexibility plan that will last long after Corona is forgotten just like its many predecessors that nobody can name anymore, but were all the rage. Look, we have one of these “THE SKY IS FALLING!!!” viruses every two year election cycle for the past two decades *yawn*. Opinions will vary, and that’s ok, this is about succeeding despite market turbulence or politics.

Pitch to a different audience:

If you’ve been diligent about staying in your lane, perhaps it is time for a lane shift? Consider who your potential market is, and if you’re doing anything to get in front of them. People always need basics like housing; the reasons for housing needs and duration can change, and every market is different, and every listing has its own “personality”. Chances are good that your market has untapped potential. One example: Tourism demand may decrease due to some near term catalyst, while at the same time, industrial, or medical housing demand can increase due to that same or other catalyst. There’s always a bull market somewhere; are you doing anything to get in front of those eyeballs from other categories?

Invest in your product or brand now:

Slow times might not seem like a good time to spend money, but I promise that busy times are the worst time to take your inventory offline to make improvements or design changes. Seize the opportunity to get in your listing and do that modification or improvement you’ve been putting off. When the dust settles, and demand returns with a vengeance (it will), you’ll be glad you didn’t give into fear and are now positioned to hit the ground running to make the best deals possible for your situation.

Panic = buying opportunities:

Consider expanding during this brief period of contraction. The market is giving us a short opportunity to acquire additional inventory; be it buying property or approaching other property owners to manage their listings. Landlords fearing the worst might be willing to discuss your Airbnb ideas now, and make you a more favorable lease structure for your guaranteed rent check after sitting on vacant listings for 30 or 60 days.

Let others pick the low hanging fruit:

This is more of a pricing strategy, and might sound counterintuitive. It can be hard to stand your ground after sitting on empty inventory for any length of time, however, if you’re going after those other markets that used to only be in your peripheral view, you will quickly realize the value in being able to provide an insurance provider with a 3-6 month furnished solution for their client whose house suffered fire or water damage. You can only do that if you are able to let other hosts pick the low hanging fruit and keep your calendar open. Besides, my biggest challenges as a host stem from the “bargain hunter” guests. You can compete on price to attract those if you want to, I’ll pass for now.

My approach is one that holds to the belief that warm weather of spring and summer will sweep viruses away like it never happened, cheap $30/barrel (as of writing) oil will drive travel to record highs here in the north east, and people will continue to have greater discretionary funds available. All of which equates to demand growing faster than supply. In other words, prepare for a banner year in 2020. Shame on you if you fall for the unfounded hysteria and miss out on your opportunity to better position yourself for success. Good luck, wash your hands, take your vitamin C.

14 Replies 14
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

This doesn't happen every two year election cycle @Mike323 . 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike323 With all due respect, I find your post flippant, blind, and disrespectful.

"My approach is one that holds to the belief that warm weather of spring and summer will sweep viruses away like it never happened".

Try telling that to the families of the thousands of people who have and will have died from this.

It isn't "yawn" and it isn't some media-driven madness. But by all means cash in on it and enjoy your banner year. And don't forget to wash your hands.

@Sarah977 If thousands warrants outrage, then what does the 10s or 100s of thousands that die every year from the flu warrant? Where is the outrage over the millions of truly innocent life snuffed out as a “choice” and then sold for big profits through back channels? Forgive me if I’m not moved to sideline my life to participate in the latest VERY disproportionate hype.

There are two camps; those of us who will be glad when this turns out to be small by comparison, and those who will be mad about that same result. The second group should do some serious introspection.

The individual is often smart, and the herd is often dumb.

@Mike323 

Awesome, an abortion reference. Totally topical. Totally.

I think you mistook this for Reddit. Please go there. 

Facts are stubborn things. Would be great to see an on topic response; I see you wasted not one, but two posts to stay off topic.

Heres another set of interesting facts I just learned. Seven off topic replies by hosts with one listing (Sandra manages 2) all have invested the time and energy to post enough times be “level 10” posters. Im only a “level 2” with a handful of posts, yet manage larger inventory.

Might be a lesson in there for other hosts? You can either spend your time talking about getting things done, or actually get things done, but not both. If trolling paid the bills you guys would be killing it though 😉

Oh Lord. Not surprising you need all those rooms for your massive ego. 

I always wondered whatever happened to Alex P Keaton.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anonymous  I had to look that one up. Haven't watched TV since I was a teenager.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Mike323 Have you considered a run for office? 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike323  There is no "camp" of people who are going to be mad when coronavirus peters out. What an absurd thing to say or believe.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

''There’s always a bull market somewhere''

There’s always bull somewhere

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Mike323 , I only wrote you 5 words. No time for more. 2 listings to manage. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Lol!! This just made my day :)))

You've been listening to too many Airbnb "gurus", @Mike323 - your post has their hilarious buzzwords, blinkered attitude and skewed pie-in-the-sky strategies stamped all over it. You sound for all the world like one of those unfortunate gullible fools who's shelled out $10 a minute on a phonecall to have a so-called arbitrage "expert" bless you with their pearls of wisdom. 

Here's the slightly inconvenient truth though - even before the coronavirus crisis hit, the wideboy "rentrepreneurs" - with their "impressive" inventories and their hyperscaling and their preposterous aspirations - have been dropping like flies, and the coming months will massively exacerbate that cull. 

Biggest is not always best, especially in this notoriously volatile and risky business, and sooner or later, people realise that quality trumps quantity, every time. The cream always rises.. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya everyone,

I'm afraid to say that I'm closing this thread as it has become off-topic and contains several personal attacks. As you know, I'm all for a constructive discussion and debate, so long as the argument is attacked not the individual. I would ask that you consider the Community Guidelines before your next post and be respectful to each other moving forward.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines