Coronavirus... Guest Due to Stay But Wants to Cut Short Their Trip and Get a Refund

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

Coronavirus... Guest Due to Stay But Wants to Cut Short Their Trip and Get a Refund

Hello Airbnb Hosts,

I have a guest from Australia due to check-in on 17th March for 7-nights; booked months before the Coronavirus outbreak.

They contacted me yesterday stating:

"Given the escalating situation with Covid-19 here in the UK and recent restrictions implemented in New Zealand, we are needing to cut short our trip here in the UK. As such, we are wanting to amend our stay and leave earlier than expected - preferably either Saturday 21st or Sunday 22nd March at the latest."

They are also asking me "to consider a refund of days".

Per Airbnb's Moderate Cancellation policy, to which I subscribe, they are not due a refund. Nor are we in an area affected by Corvid-19 due to our rural location. Therefore, I do not believe Airbnb's Extenuating Cancellation policy applies in this situation.

By staying with us, it proves they are not being affected in the UK by the recent outbreak, but making a choice to cut short their trip... and being unclear on which date!

Like many hosts, I rely on the income and do not feel a refund applies in this instance, per the policies in place that support this and my belief the guests want to complete their trip and fly to New Zealand before returning home. Either to avoid being quarantined or not lose any monies.

How should I respond? And will Airbnb simply override my decision and leave me out of pocket?

3 Replies 3
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah327  I hope you are well.

Yes, Airbnb will override your cancellation policy and apply their COVID Extenuating Circumstances policy.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No-one on this forum will be able to give you a definitive answer on this you will need to call Airbnb @Sarah327  but I think it is very likely Airbnb will apply their EC policy for the Corona virus.

If you rely on the income from STR to cover basic, essential living costs, you may want to look at putting your listing on hold and looking at long term rentals.

Sarah327
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

I am upset by the fact this guest is continuing their travels within the UK and potentially putting us all at risk of contracting the Coronavirus, but using it as an excuse to claw some of their monies back. They are being vague about their departure date and asking me to 'consider a refund' knowing one does not apply. 

My initial response will still be to decline in line with Airbnb's policies - cancellation and extenuating - and I will let them take it from there.

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to hear that you are wanting to cut short your stay with us.

In accordance with Airbnb's moderate cancellation policy, to which I adhere, and their continued updates regarding the recent Corvid-19 outbreak, a refund cannot be applied.

We are not in an affected area and unfortunately your request falls outside of Airbnb's policy parameters i.e. has been made within 5 days of your arrival date.