Full Refund In PANDEMIC Situation?

Answered!

Full Refund In PANDEMIC Situation?

Here a word to all Complainer:

I live in NYC and let's face it:
There will be no tourists coming in for the next few months (in best case).

I refunded every reservation (and blocked the calendar)
until the end of April, and I'm prepared that the rest of

the year will be fully refunded and going to ZERO...

I did very well last few years,
and NO, ITS NOT AIRBNB'S FOULT,
people can't fly, going out or even leave the house!

IT IS NOT a change of Airbnb's policy, it is EXACTLY as I signed up:
Travel restrictions = Refund
Deadly Pandemic = Refund
POSTER CHILD SITUATION OF extenuating circumstances situation!!!!
NOTHING CHANGED.

NOT ONCE I TRIED TO CALL OR CONTACT BnB LAST 2 WEEKS.

Once Airbnb boosted my business going from 0 to 100 in 2 weeks
by providing a genius model and worldwide outreach to billion of guests.

For the few $$$ per booking taking from me as a host, THEY OWE ME NOTHING!!!
As long they have 10-Thousands of people on payroll,
I don't have ANY problems with there current policy,
and I don't care if they keep a small service fee or not!!!

I'm still on the lucky end, we have other sources of income,
BUT around us, restaurants, airlines and small businesses will going out of business.

BUT YES, I agree, we losing money: IT SUCKS!!!

And still, our own decision to be in Guest/Tourist Industry
with all the fun, money to earn AND risk to take..!

WEE ALL WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS,
IF Airbnb LOSES THERE REPUTATION WITH GUESTS DURING THIS CRISIS!!!
LET THEM DEFEND THE BRAND, OTHERWISE: THAT'S IT FOR ALL OF US !

And OF COURSE: I KNOW Airbnb is/was not perfect at all, the review system needs to be improved...
I KNOW! I guess NOBODY IS PERFECT 😉

Stay Safe,
Greetings from Brooklyn, NY

134 Replies 134
Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

EXACTLY THIS! WELL SAID!

it is not airbnbs fault! And yes, it is the same extenuating circumstance policy that we all signed up for when we started using airbnb. It's just one large circumstance that affects ALL (or nearly all) of EVERY hosts bookings for 30 days. Yes, it hurts to lose a months income but it shouldn't bankrupt you or force you out of your home. 

If airbnb didn't refund these guests now, do you think they'll ever use airbnb again? Imagine all the negative news stories warning everyone that airbnb wouldn't refund guests during a national pandemic?! Airbnb is doing the smart thing and actually LOOKING OUT FOR US by doing this.  We need these people (that we just gave refunds to) to continue using airbnb in the future. 

Those folks that are crying about this now are "doing airbnb wrong". They are the ones who got in over their heads thinking that this airbnb income was rock solid and they could depend on it to pay the rent, mortgage or their 100 employees in their HUGE short term rental business. 

Think of this as a "survival of the fittest" or a "culling of the herd" or "only the strong survive" or a "market correction of your life" scenario. This will barely affect those of us who are "doing airbnb right". If you're doing it wrong, well that's a different story. 

@Donald28 I can't agree more with you!
Remote hosting 20 units/houses...
Abusing BnB as a cheep property manager

to enforce a "No Party Policy" on an
unattended property and then,

submitting a claim for stained bedsheets!!!

WHY WE NEVER heard about an UBER driver,
leasing 70 cars all over the state, paying a cheap driver to
drive the business??? 

Why Airbnb felt the need to take responsibility by issuing refunds?? Travel insurances would have been the correct authorities to issue refunds- isn't that why they are in place?! It was an incredibly stupid, one-sided business decision. 

@Andrea761 Travel insurance will not cover a situation like this unless they had a 'cancel for any reason' policy rider, which is expensive and not even available in all markets.  This unfortunately is a really bad situation for everyone involved.

not true! it would cover as long the reason is legit!, in the US a travel insurance is about 4-10% of the travel expense, so it would be very naive not to purchase one (unless you have enough money to burn to eat up your losses if you cancel) When travelers make a booking, they make  a financial commitment!  the income for the hosts Is based on that! we primarily have travelers from oversees, in 3 days I had 22 cancelations (April bookings are not cancelled yet) people in Europe have even cheaper travel insurance, because often it is a part of a package people have. I have guests that cancelled, claim from insurance and got refunded by airbnb. I understand they are trying this, but we are completely the victim, when Airbnb says they are also hurt, because they refund the fees.. it is of no comparison what hosts are robbed off, by airbnb, simply because some of us have good cancelation policies for protection. Airbnb should have left it up to the host to refund in full , and in that case also refund the fees. 

@Gerhard4  What about "most travel insurance companies won't cover pandemic-related cancellations" don't you get? It's not just a matter of having a "legit reason".

airbnb was already refunding in full, before it was a pandemic!

but if you read the print if there is NO restriction for your travel , and you dont want to travel, it is not covered, if your government (or the country you are traveling to) dont allow you to enter / travel /leave) it is covered. nevertheless people can also ask to reschedule to another date in time, which would be more appealing to most hosts. 

there are policies where you can cable for any reason, but the premium is higher. also the travel insurance will cover you incase you get sick or need to be transported home 

but again... travel insurance companies do have different policies, 
just as example HIV//AIDS is classified as one of the most destructive global pandemics in history.. do you think that means every country where there is an HIV patient is not covered????

@Gerhard4 

Covid-19 is NOT aids or the flu - and comparing covid-19 to hiv/aids just goes to show you have no idea what is happening around the world. You can't get hiv/aids from sharing an elevator with, touching the same doorknob as, or eating at the same buffet restaurant as someone who's been infected. 

No restriction from travel?!?!?!? What do you think travel bans, border shutdowns and entire cities being under lock down are? People can't reschedule simply because we have no idea how long this is going to continue. The majority of travel insurances will NOT cover anyone who traveled knowing that there is risk of covid-19 infection or risk of quarantine. Travelers are required to sign waivers before boarding planes. 

What part of "NO nonessential travel" don't you understand??? 

@Jessica-and-Henry0  https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/coronavirus-travel-bans/index.html   A lkittle something for @Gerhard4 to mull over. Unfortunately, common sense and legalities don’t seem important to hosts who are unfortunately in obvious distress.  

@Wendy1071 , not completely sure what you try to imply... I was referring to the people who should have travel insurance, instead of letting the hosts be the victim. which is the sensible thing to do ! but in my specific case all my cancelations were from inside the US. so nothing to do with the ban, all my international bookings I have reached out to them and they all rebooked  directly, so no worries there. the whole conversation is about the unfairness. but guessing you don't have any distress, so I am hoping you are in the front line,  helping out some people in your area who really can need some housing.

@Gerhard4'but in my specific case all my cancelations were from inside the US. so nothing to do with the ban"

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/2020/03/27/vacation-rentals-suspended-in-florida-under-order-f...

What hosts feel is fair, or what should have been done or what another platform offers in terms of insurance, or cancellations is irrelevant.  

@Wendy1071 I don't agree, I believe it is relevant, how airbnb mistreated their "partners" . Most partners do this for a living, and protect themselves for incidents.. Airbnb is giving back money to the guests , which is not even theirs!! guests were able to protect their financial loss simply to insure their trip. the host has terms and conditions to protect themselves ... I only have 22 listings all 4-6 bedroom homes, and lost a lot of income.. we do have people working for us, also relying on payments, (at this time we did not had to fire anyone , but our cleaners only get paid when they work) so I just want to point out , the decision from airbnb has a huge ripple effect. but there are hosts out there that have even lost more.... but at this point everyone has excepted in one way or another the world situation .. and hope for the best!  please stay safe. !!

@Gerhard4  When I look up the word 'partner' the first definition in the list I found was this -

A persons or group that takes part with another or others in doing something.

"China is a major trading partner for Australia and the US" 

This is the type of partnership hosts have with Airbnb.  Too many hosts seem to think their partnership with Airbnb holds another meaning as if they signed up on the corporations Articles of Incorporation and hold rights and entitlements that are held by that type of partnership.  

You can write posts about the unfairness of it all til you're blue in the face but it's never going to make you a partner in the sense of the word you're implying it does.  Your business is your 22 listings on their platform.  You are completely dependent on their policies.  Like it or not.  

@Wendy1071
hmm you must have different internet in Canada,

first hit when I google partner:

either of a pair of people engaged together in the same activity

also luckily our bookings are primarily (73%) of returning guests and direct bookings. airbnb only fills in about 12%.

obviously with your 1 bedroom apartment , you will feel less of the damage made by this action.
You don"t have to keep paying your 
Poolguy, Lawn service, pest-control, etc..
but you completely missed the point. travelers can protect themself! airbnb is with this action playing santa clause , but not with their money! If I go on a vacation I make sure I have insurance incase something happens... I am not going to beg at the hotel or vacation home owner to get money back because I could not travel. I made the financial commitment, and my financial commitment is what they need to run their business