Full Refund In PANDEMIC Situation?

Answered!

Full Refund In PANDEMIC Situation?

Here a word to all Complainer:

I live in NYC and let's face it:
There will be no tourists coming in for the next few months (in best case).

I refunded every reservation (and blocked the calendar)
until the end of April, and I'm prepared that the rest of

the year will be fully refunded and going to ZERO...

I did very well last few years,
and NO, ITS NOT AIRBNB'S FOULT,
people can't fly, going out or even leave the house!

IT IS NOT a change of Airbnb's policy, it is EXACTLY as I signed up:
Travel restrictions = Refund
Deadly Pandemic = Refund
POSTER CHILD SITUATION OF extenuating circumstances situation!!!!
NOTHING CHANGED.

NOT ONCE I TRIED TO CALL OR CONTACT BnB LAST 2 WEEKS.

Once Airbnb boosted my business going from 0 to 100 in 2 weeks
by providing a genius model and worldwide outreach to billion of guests.

For the few $$$ per booking taking from me as a host, THEY OWE ME NOTHING!!!
As long they have 10-Thousands of people on payroll,
I don't have ANY problems with there current policy,
and I don't care if they keep a small service fee or not!!!

I'm still on the lucky end, we have other sources of income,
BUT around us, restaurants, airlines and small businesses will going out of business.

BUT YES, I agree, we losing money: IT SUCKS!!!

And still, our own decision to be in Guest/Tourist Industry
with all the fun, money to earn AND risk to take..!

WEE ALL WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS,
IF Airbnb LOSES THERE REPUTATION WITH GUESTS DURING THIS CRISIS!!!
LET THEM DEFEND THE BRAND, OTHERWISE: THAT'S IT FOR ALL OF US !

And OF COURSE: I KNOW Airbnb is/was not perfect at all, the review system needs to be improved...
I KNOW! I guess NOBODY IS PERFECT 😉

Stay Safe,
Greetings from Brooklyn, NY

134 Replies 134

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  I never expressed anything to indicate that I think their claims are less important. What I meant was that a great many of the outraged posts show no understanding of the Airbnb TOS or that applying the EC unfairly has been going on for a long time.

The posts which yell about how Airbnb is doing something illegal obviously have no idea that the TOS does, in fact, give them the right to have the final word in the application of the EC policy. Or that the TOS says that class action suits aren't allowed. 

Do I think Airbnb should have that power? Of course not. Do I think hosts have been dealt with in a disrespectful manner in this pandemic situation? Certainly. 

But there's been a lot of space taken up on the forum with hosts claiming things which simply aren't true, and oblivious as to what they agreed to when they signed up. In other words, they didn't do their homework, they just saw dollar signs and assumed that listing on Airbnb was some kind of secure job.

@Sarah977 

Their voices and opinions are as valuable as any long standing member, they may be naive of 'the order of things' but they are members after all, and all with the same rights. Being abused for the first time like they thought they were wouldn't be so surprising, many may not have experienced - or heard about such things - (long term TOS and EC abuse by Airbnb) and frankly, applying any policy unfairly is not the way to run any business or even kindergarten. Thats the point of writing it down and instructing it to the members. Obviously EC stands as a moveable policy, but it stands as a moveable policy within the dictates written down by the policy maker, Airbnb.

In creating an EC the size of a Bulls Eye, Airbnb allow the whole dart board to count and be a hit! "Somewhere around that dart board area is accurate enough to be in the Bulls Eye... "  BS!

Simply pointing at the words in the policy should be enough to satisfy matters. As you know, the words stand for nothing, and the TOS are a sham unless you persist your case or take it to arbitration.

I'm very surprised that you would even bring up 'space taken up on the forum with hosts claiming things which simply aren't true'  or in fact you allege it of other Hosts.  I have an outstanding question to you on TOS which you have made claims about in some other heated exchange with somebody else, and you still have yet to provide evidence to support your claims.  If you want factual discussions, you need to be factual in your arguments and not wave unsubstantiated claims around. Point being, don't allege other hosts of unsubstantiated claims if you cannot substantiate your own.

Jonathan1257
Level 5
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

......they're looking to IPO.......they've never been a charity.......give me a break as guests should always take out their own insurance. They not acted like any business I know that will meet you in the middle. As we speak they are signing up more seed capital. So mushy your post.

Hi @Jonathan1257 

Even if it sucks and hurts:

Contract obligation (no additional insurance necessary):
Travel restrictions = 
Refund
Deadly Pandemic = Refund
POSTER CHILD SITUATION OF EC (extenuating circumstances situation)!!!!

A GUEST WOULD NEED INSURANCE:
IF SOMEONE BOOKED 3 DAYS AGO (knowing the actual situation)

AND WANTS/NEEDS TO CANCEL TODAY = NO Refund/Refund as of listing policy
(BTW: IN NOOOOOO WAY I WOULD AGREE TO

ANY ADDITIONAL REFUND OTHER THAN LISTING POLICY)

No Overwriting, Nothing Changed

"...give me a break as guests should always take out their own insurance..."
NO insurance would pay, because there is already a contractual obligation against the host in place that in an EC- case the host has to refund in full.

"...give me a break as guests should always take out their own insurance..."
100% agree with you if a guest needs to cancel and wants to override the listing policy.
(BUT EC-Policy is ALWAYS overwriting individual listing policy)

Why this is not making sense?:

...give me a break as businesses should always take out their own insurance...

I knew you'd bite....after that bagel...

@Giedre-and-Andre0 

Why this is not making sense?:

...give me a break as businesses should always take out their own insurance...

-----------

Give Hosts a break as NO insurance would pay. Business insurance will not cover unspecified illnesses

Insurance and Loss of Income:

• Under holiday home insurance contracts and in common with most other insurers, there is no cover for loss of income under the specified diseases extension, as COVID-19 is not one of the specified diseases covered.

@Jonathan1257 

cheers Ian

Plus we have business cover but as you know it won't payout on this type of thing. Most guests don't takeout any cover but all are asking/expecting full refunds. The obvious answer from Airbnb was a 50% refund.

@Jonathan1257 because it's that easy? :-)))

Jonathan1257
Level 5
Cheltenham, United Kingdom

Stay safe 😉

Well said Giedre-and-Andre0, I agree.

In this moment everything seems surreal and terrible and all of us will lose money.

But, listen to me, our life, and I mean life of everyone, is the olny important thing now.

Excuse me for my bad English.

I'm Vittoria, from Milan

@Mo-Pì--Srl0 Vittoria, Giedre's and my thoughts are with you guys

in this heartbreaking days!

Your English is beautiful.

... we are Andre (& Giedre), from New York City...

(Sometimes a simple 5 liner is all it takes, THANK YOU!)

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

Message to Airbnb management: I expect, demand and plan on the basis that Airbnb will honor the current Covid-19 policy !!! :

«The host’s cancellation policy will apply as usual to reservations made after March 14, 2020, and to reservations made on or before March 14, 2020 with check-in dates after April 14, 2020.»

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

@Giedre-and-Andre0 

One of the most interesting threads I've read since I began reading this CC three days ago.