HOSTS, LET'S UNITE AGAINST AIRBNB.

Answered!
Albert180
Level 3
Glenelg, Australia

HOSTS, LET'S UNITE AGAINST AIRBNB.

A MESSAGE TO ALL HOSTS!

WE SHOULD BE DEMANDING THAT AIRBNB PAY US FOR THE CANCELLATIONS WE HAVE BEEN FORCED TO ACCEPT BECAUSE OF THEIR COVID-19 CANCELLATION POLICY AND DEMAND THEY REIMBURSE THE GUESTS WITH THEIR (AIRBNB'S) OWN MONEY.  NOT OUR INCOME! 

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Albert180 

If I were you I would direct my energy and capital letters toward something that has some hope of success. Airbnb are refunding guests who cannot/should not be travelling with the guests money - not the hosts and not their own. They are also refunding their service fees to be fair.

At the end of the day there will be many losers (and very few winners) from Covid 19. The sooner people accept the reality and take sensible action the better.

By the way, lets say a class action lawsuit was started and was successful. Do you really think Airbnb would pay damages? No they would just go into Chapter 11 and then either Chapter 7 and reduce the competition in the market for STR platforms or start again post Chapter 11 with a clean sheet. 

Lets just hope the virus dies down soon, guests travel again with Airbnb because they were looked after, and we all get back to making a living.

Albert180
Level 3
Glenelg, Australia

Here's what a real booking partner is offering (Booking com). 

If a guest cancels the reservation, we’ll try to find a replacement guest(s) or take over the payment obligation for the remaining dates that are still bookable.

@Albert180 

Really? Could You share a screenshot of that message?

Then you should have your listing on that site if you think its more suited to you.  

I do. 

Albert180
Level 3
Glenelg, Australia

Can see how I can share a screenshot on here 

Albert180
Level 3
Glenelg, Australia

The 3 stooges should never have simply imposed their policy onto us here.  Firstly they should have consulted "the family" that we are apparently a part of to see what we thought about it.  As a matter of fact I hope they do go out of business now, so next time they open up under a different name they will remember the hosts first before anyone else.  Homeaway and Booking.com have got it right.  I've had a lot of people from these sites try to cancel but these sites have left the control with me so that I can negotiate a different date or refund a maximum of 50% of what they have paid.  To date I have not lost a single booking from those sites because I have the opportunity to communicate with the guests.  With Airbnb I have lost many simply because the control has been given to the guest and people are cancelling out of fear.  Don't be fooled here, the winners are still the 3 stooges and the losers are the hosts. 

Because Airbnb has dominated the market by being traveler friendly, hosts are handcuffed into listing their properties on this platform if they want maximum visibility in the market. While Airbnb profits off of the hosts product, the host assumes all of the risk. Then, when things get rough Airbnb doesn't even have enough respect for the hosts to honor the cancellation terms previously agreed upon. It sure seems like they don't care about the hosts, when in reality they don't have anything to profit off of without the products that the hosts allow them to list on their platform.

Let's sue them together