Hosts able to cancel bookings from COVID-19 hot-spots penalty free

Chris1492
Level 5
West Kirby, United Kingdom

Hosts able to cancel bookings from COVID-19 hot-spots penalty free

I am a UK based Superhost. My property is approx 250 miles (400km) from London, the (current) UK number one hotspot for COVID-19. The small town in which I live is close to the bottom of the national COVID-19 infection table.

I have a week-long booking from a London person due to start week commencing 06 April (so next week, as I write this). In the email associated with the booking the person says they are coming to visit their parents.

The official UK Government position on this sort of travel is clear: it should not be taking place. We are all being told to "...stay at home..." and specifically, not to "...visit friends and family...". To be doing this from the nation's number one hotspot demonstrates a cavalier disregard for official advice (and common sense).

I do not want to host this booking. I do not want to support someone who is so blatantly going against official Government advice.

However, it seems there is no provision by Airbnb that allows me to cancel this booking, without damaging my Superhost status? As a host I have never, ever canceled any booking (until now).

It is possible that the Government may impose further restrictions and the problem may solve itself. However, I have a gut feeling that the guest will not cancel and it will be up to me to take action.

It seems to me that my only option is to process the cancellation and take whatever penalty Airbnb decides to impose on my Superhost status.

It all seems very wrong and unfair. Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer? Greatly received - thank you.         

Chris, UK
20 Replies 20
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Chris1492 

If you have instant book, you have the right to make penalty free cancellations.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2022/how-do-penaltyfree-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-host...

Another option is to message the booker and advise them to cancel using the procedure below

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2728/what-options-do-i-have-for-cancelling-a-reservation-for-a-pl...

Also penalty free option.

Chris1492
Level 5

Thanks for this Elena. I should have specified, the booking was *not* an instant book one.

I can ask them, as you suggest in the second link. I guess that's pretty much my only way out. It'll be a very delicate email to write.

I think I'm right in saying that if I cancel the booking, the guest gets a 100% refund anyway (?) and so there isn't any particular incentive for them to assist me by triggering the cancellation - at least, that's the way I read it.  Thanks

Chris, UK
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris1492  It's astounding that someone would be so irresponsible as to come from London and expose their parents, let alone the rest of the community, to a posible coronavirus infection. I never realized there were so many incredibly stupid people.

Chris1492
Level 5

@Sarah977 I was shocked too, but there we have it. What I'm equally (more?) shocked about is the lack of protection I have from Airbnb when it comes to doing the responsible thing (cancelling the reservation). I will write to the booker tomorrow, along the lines @Elena87 suggested - expressing how they can get a full refund if they (as guest) cancel. I'll give them (say) 24-48 hours to respond and if nothing, then I'll knock it on the head myself and take up the fight with Airbnb should they kick-off.

Chris, UK
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Chris1492 Could you ASK your guest to cancel themselves? Remind them that they are breaking the law by undertaking a non-essential journey, and that they could be fined if stopped by the police en route. Tell them you do not want to be party to them breaking the law! Show them the relevant website https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus  On the home page, click on 'businesses & other organisations.' Then  'how to close holiday accommodation to temporary residents'. Here it is! - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-advice-for-accommodation-providers 

Helen350
Level 10

@Chris1492 North Wales police & Devon police have stopped caravaners & camper van drivers in Wales & Devon & ordered them back to Liverpool/Birmingham! If all else fails, you could invite police to meet your guest on your doorstep?!  ; )

@Helen350 

It's probably best to avoid proffering dilettante advice on what constitutes breaking the law.

A guest might be a lawyer and you might get sucked into a tedious argument... or worse.

From my understanding in the British media, police do not actually have the right or powers to set up roadblocks or stop cars on solely 'coronavirus' business, only under their usual road traffic laws.

@Chris1492  would be better to politely write and explain to the guests due to the current climate he prefers to withdraw his accommodation offer and rescind the booking. The easiest and quickest method is via a guest initiated penalty free full refund option as outlined above, or failing this then to call airbnb to request an admin based cancellation.

Helen350
Level 10

@Elena87  No, police in the UK DO have the right to send people home if police are not satisfied that the journey is 'essential'. There is a new £60 fine for refusing to comply, and it doubles for a second offence & so on for further offences. People not paying the fines can be taken to court. See the website https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus 

Chris1492
Level 5

@Helen350 thanks very much for the links. That adds much more weight to asking them to take action. It'll be a carefully worded email tomorrow... 

Chris, UK
Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

.@Chris1492 I messaged a guest to cancel a May booking. I got no response. I called Airbnb and they said they would cancel it without any ramifications to me as a host.

Chris1492
Level 5

@Ann783 very helpful to know - thank you. I'm writing to my guest today. I will post results here, for the benefit of us all. Chris

Chris, UK
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Chris1492 , it is possible.  I cancelled all future bookings regardless of date. Its not easy as you have to contact Airbnb .  It won't work on the site.

Chris1492
Level 5

@Sandra126 - great - thank you. I've just sent the booker and carefully worded message - outlining Government instructions and asking that they cancel. I'll see what happens. If they do cancel, no problem. If they don't, then I'll try contacting Airbnb. Thank you. I will post updates here.  

Chris, UK
Chris1492
Level 5

Update: The guest was very reasonable and said they would cancel. When they attempted this, the system told them to send a "request to cancel". They did this (and messaged me to say so). I triggered the request to cancel - so, in effect, the system records that as me (the host) having cancelled the booking. Not over the moon about that, but there we have it. I have raised a ticket with support explaining this and asking them to clarify that this will *not* impact my Superhost status. We wait and see.

Chris, UK