CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST ABB re forcing hosts to refund 100%?

CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST ABB re forcing hosts to refund 100%?

Hello fellow hosts, 

I was wondering if anybody in the UK/US has started legal action against ABB regarding their recent unreasonable and illegal forced 100% refunds that is currently bleeding out us hosts? 

Also,  a protest outside the airbnb office might be useful to show our opposition to the illegal forced refund measures that threatens our livelihoods. 

Let me know what you guys think

Cheers, 

A soon-to-be bancrupt host

T

17 Replies 17
ONERüF0
Level 7
United States

k

ONERüF0
Level 7
United States

How about we begin discussing creating an association of STR Hosts?  If interested let me know...have started a group with purpose of formulating a strategy around this. 

yes, I  am also using the top ten abb alternatives next to the first block chain site (bee token - https://www.facebook.com/thebeetoken/ currently only available in the US... 

Lots of alternatives. ABB is dead on so many levels (and has been for a while...) 

ONERuFO,  Did you start a group?  I would be interested in joining.  I have started a FB page as well "Airbnb Hosts United."  I started it because someone on another thread suggested that we would begin to be censored by this Airbnb-owned forum.  It has in fact started to happen as the extremely popular post "Airbnb threw its Hosts under the Bus" has disappeared.  It had 3-4K views 2-300 likes (not remembering the numbers off the top of my head right now.  It was by far the TOP post, but now it's gone.  There was another one at the top as well that just disappeared.  Please let us know if you also have a forum. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sheila22 

Sheila the post you are talking about is still visible. You will find that the CC moderators do not censor or remove posts unless there is personal information involved, or it is seen as personal advertising.

Here is a screenshot I took 5 minutes ago after reading your post

cc under the bus.png

Sheila, I know you are hurting, we all are! You are a Superhost and a great one, but I would ask you to help us in creative ways! I totally understand your frustration at the way this has been handled by Airbnb. I am also active on Homeaway/Stayz and I can tell you they give the host considerably more input as to how a guest cancellation should be handled.

I too am disappointed in Airbnb's actions but, I want to try to fix my situation, not spend my energy digging the hole we are in deeper.

A class action is not the way to go, all that will do is guarantee that your Airbnb account is closed! One of the TOS clauses says that, as an Airbnb account holder you are precluded from entering into a class action of any type against Airbnb and if you want to continue to use Airbnb you have to abide by that clause. Now that sort of clause would probably not stand up in a court of law, but, that's not the point....Airbnb would immediately close your account and where would that get you?

I did mention you in another post today, not to be malicious but, to try and bolster the community that is suffering so much at present.

Try to be creative and see if that can help you.....All the best.

Cheers......Rob

Gerhard4
Level 6
Davenport, FL

Like a lot of other hosts, I am still frustrated about the position AirBnB had taken by refunding the guests cancelations.

I responded a few times already on other hosts’s posts, So will not repeat that part.

I am curious if anyone already had taken the time to investigate , if the cancelation would be covered under the host guarantee ?? Specially since airbnb changed the rules in a few days, some cancellations (I currently have 19!) were refunded under those guidelines, however, the day later according the e-mail I received from airbnb, they would not have been refunded in full)

There is a clause in the host guarantee , where you can claim loss of income.

I understand it would not apply on every cancelation. But specifically the ones that already have legitimate ground to cancel , and file their claim at their travel Insurance .

We would not be able to check if these travelers , received a refund from AirBnB (our money though) and also would file a claim at their insurance.

This would fall under the covered losses, since I could not find a term , where this would be excluded .

The only thing I could think is the phrase “ during an airbnb stay” but did not find any excluded reasons.

Anyway

There are also guests who will not be able to file a claim, simply because the conditions are not covered.

Specially if they not have a reason to cancel other than fear! 

For those guests , we as host should be the one that decide to fully refund, or partial or rebook their stay.

I believe many of us have less problems to rebook the guest to a different date in stead of just canceling.

Many USA travelers decided not to travel at the last moment, but there was no official reason for them NOT to travel!

Any suggestions (other than not using airbnb anymore)

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Tom2588 

Sorry to hear you are near bankruptcy but I am not sure what a lawsuit would achieve other than hastening your bankruptcy.

From my reading of the terms and conditions Airbnb have done nothing illegal. Their action may be unreasonable but as with beauty that concept is in the eye of the beholder.

At the end of the day a PANDEMIC with most flights cancelled and some countries in lockdown probably does classify as Extenuating Circumstances unless you host in the one continent with no cases namely Antartica.

Thomas977
Level 10
Tønsberg, Norway

Thomas, 

Im from spain and had lots of loses with this, do you know any european team fighting against this problem? 

patricia

Hi Patricia!

I'm from Barcelona, too. 

I have your same problem and they are continuing to refund the guests 100% until July 15th! I'm looking for someone fighting with me for the same reason. I'm with you. 

Hi @Patricia0  and @Silvana199  I am in Madrid and i have the same problem. Were you able to find a way to fight against this injustice?

Elena1265
Level 2
Oakville, CA

Hello fellow hosts

I am INFLAMED by Airbnb corporate bullying and meddling in our private contracts btw the host an the renter.  Their have no legal basis for doing so, it is against their jurisdiction and I believe is grounds for a CLASS action suit. VRBO is doing exactly the same. 

I am all for forming an association of Short Term Rental Owners to fight this illegal corporate bullying.

I believe that the costs to us would be nothing if we hire a law team that would be paid based on split of the reward of the class action suit. I think that's the way it works.

Elena

im in spain can I join your group? 

it happen to me on spain and lost thousand of euros .... please let me know 

patricia