How Can I Opt Out of "Contributions to Hosts" ?

Answered!
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

How Can I Opt Out of "Contributions to Hosts" ?

As part of the help and support to hosts announced by Brian Chesky yesterday, one of the initiatives announced was that Airbnb will be sending emails to previous recent guests, asking them to consider making a contribution to the host they stayed with.

I do not want/need anything sent on my "behalf" to previous guests, asking for donations/contributions.

How can I opt out? Guidance very much appreciated...

136 Replies 136

It's supposed to start later in April, @Lizzie. It needs to be scrapped. It's an unholy disgrace and reflects horribly on all involved. If they even attempt to send out begging letters in my name, I'll drag them through the mire, from hell to Bethlehem. 

Sheer, unadulterated lunacy. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Thanks @Lizzie !

@Lizzie  " I don't believe it's been launched yet".

Then please make sure it becomes a 'failure to launch'.

I'm just looking through the comments. Hmmmmmm...........the saying goes ''never look a gift horse in the mouth''. 

Might Chesky come on the video again and say ''due to the overwhelming global host response, we have decided that we in fact won't ask previous guests to donate'' was he thinking this all along? He is a bright one!

I could do with the money in fact, at the moment, not that I was expecting anything, but I love hosting and I am a good host - I know my value goes beyond the room price. If 200 of my 300 guests donated £5 GBP (or even $5 USD) that's a tidy sum and will keep the wolves from the door.

In life, all good things come to an end, and maybe this is the end for some hosts anyway - last straw and all that.

Looking at the news in the UK yesterday, a martial arts pro had dressed up as Spiderman to entertain self-isolating children as they looked out of their windows, slick moves and cartwheels all the way down the street, a few weeks ago would we have ever dreamed of such a thing happening?

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Please, please DON'T DO IT!!!  It's degrading.  How could anyone, ever think this is a good idea?  My god, what were you thinking?!!!!!

I use Airbnb as a booking platform.  I did not contract with you to beg for alms on my behalf.  If you dare do this, my god, no matter what it takes, I will find a way of legally eviscerating you.  Don't even think about it!

Absolutely NOT do I want to participate in such a foolish venture. I personally did not give permission to request donations from former guests. This is preposterous to ask and a breach of trust and faith. My guests stay here expecting nothing more than the best space and treatment. This is more like a scam. The worst form of social distancing as I'm sure it will prevent returns.

Addie

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

How wrong footed & arrogant can one get,YIKES! How to get Chesky's attention as soon as possible? Who is on twitter? Must people deactivate their listings & accounts due to the scalding shame of being associated with this crap? Will Chesky then be forced to pocket the boodle? If any of my previous guests want to send something to the Bay area they can send masks to any of the local hospitals & first responders. Huge fail Mr. Chesky

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hopefully it will stop before it starts.

As a guest, I have not received any of these misguided, tone-deaf emails asking me to donate money to my recent hosts. I would be mortified if such an email were sent out on my behalf. Please, Airbnb, don't do this! 

@Anonymous 

Its a long time since I've since that word "mortified" in print, but it accurately portrays the sentiment of  most host on here.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

It's amazing this actually got through brainstorming, massive error of judgement.

April 1 is an appropriate day to send out these emails.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jennifer1421 @Sandra126 @Elena87 @Susan17 @Lizzie can I add my voice to those saying how inappropriate this suggestion is?

Barbara-and-Mike0
Level 4
United Kingdom

We have hosted many doctors and nurses, and other key workers in our properties over the years and I would be absolutely mortified if they received a ‘begging bowl’ email from Airbnb on my behalf. I think we can now be sure that the lunatics are in charge of the asylum.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Do you know what would have been a much better idea? To ask the cancelling guests if they wouldn't mind making a small contribution from their refund as a part payment to the host, rather than accept a 100% refund. I bet quite a few might have 

I don't really think it fair that my past guests, who paid for their stays, either in full, or in part according to the normal cancellation policies, should be responsible for the cancellations of other guests. While the cancelling guests may have been also suffering financial loss, asking them to make a small payment (rather than donation) if they could afford it, would be more appropriate.