How Can I Opt Out of "Contributions to Hosts" ?

Answered!
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

How Can I Opt Out of "Contributions to Hosts" ?

As part of the help and support to hosts announced by Brian Chesky yesterday, one of the initiatives announced was that Airbnb will be sending emails to previous recent guests, asking them to consider making a contribution to the host they stayed with.

I do not want/need anything sent on my "behalf" to previous guests, asking for donations/contributions.

How can I opt out? Guidance very much appreciated...

136 Replies 136
Heather752
Level 2
Point Roberts, WA

I believe Brian was saying that previous guests have been calling Airbnb asking how they could help the hosts that’s what I took from it. I don’t think they are going around asking previous guests for handouts. 
It’s optional so just refuse it. I think it’s nice that previous guests would even ask. But no one has to accept it. 

@Heather752   "We'll reach out to guests who’ve stayed with you recently and left 5-star reviews to ask if they want to send a note and a contribution in connection with a previous reservation. "

This is exactly what is written in Chesky's message to hosts. It isn't a matter of interpretation. He said that guests have said they were grateful that they got refunded 100%- I seriously doubt that guests are calling asking how they can help hosts. 

@Sarah977 

"I seriously doubt that guests are calling asking how they can help hosts"

Lol... strangely enough, I was having trouble with that one too.. ;))

@sarah977

@susan17

Hi I decided to dictate the video message... 

March 30th Brian Chesky video message

“We are going to make it easier for previous guests to send financial support directly to you if you choose to receive it. 

We have heard from numerous guests that they are grateful for your hospitality and flexibility.

Many have asked how can they reach out to you and how can they offer a little bit of support. 

So what we are going to do is we are going to give them a way to send you a note and with that note

if they choose they can attach a contribution to any host they have stayed with in the past….”

I do not see how this is asking guests for money.  Everyone needs to watch this again.

If anyone is upset they should be mad at the government for not protecting the people this is affecting everyone. 

I had to shut down my listing 2 months ago because I did not want to take the risk. This is seasonal employment for me because of my location,

so believe me I am not happy about any of it.

They really have no control over this, I am personally happy that they are even offering grants and money for cancellations.

But that is just how I feel about it. If people are so upset with Airbnb maybe they should not be hosting with them. We all have

to work together right now, not create more divisiveness.

I will ask on the call today for clarification on the way they arehandling any donations from previous guests.

@Sarah977 @Susan17 

He said that guests have said they were grateful that they got refunded 100% - I seriously doubt that guests are calling asking how they can help hosts. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  Besides, being grateful doesn't mean people are ready to open their wallets and start handing money out.

And on a slightly different note....... maybe it's just me. But let's imagine...... a guest got a full, 100% refund from Airbnb and as a host.... I didn't agree with that decision and I am unhappy about it. Or maybe I agreed that a full refund is the right thing to do and had no problem with it. Then because the guest is so grateful for getting all their money back they personally offer to give me $20 / $50 / $100 as a token of their appreciation?

I'd feel offended (and just firmly but graciously refuse). But like I said..... maybe it's just me. 

some times i feel like we deserve a tip?? for full refund?? seriously?? no goodwill?? or is it just business??  is just postponing liquidation on cash that is being stored temporarily in Airbnb.. to be spin and create profit of idal (i don't know how to spell Idal) money.. why not work on corona SOP or some thing that actually safe people live and not your own skin..

Jeffrey Bong
Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Oh **bleep** they are.  If a guest wanted to help a particular host, they could easily contact that host directly.  Airbnb's claim that guests are calling Airbnb to offer help to hosts is utterly risible. 

The bigger issue is why Airbnb is promulgating such nonsense and why do they not realise how implausible it sounds?   Once again, I feel like they live in some altered reality that exists only within their corporate bubble. 

Airbnb's communications, both in content and style, have now become so cringe-worthy and blatantly self-serving that any skerrick of the mutual trust which underpinned their (once) unique model is being destroyed.  Either there's something within their corporate culture that's preventing staff from speaking out and saying, "Brian, FFS, you can't say/do that, it's not true/makes us look ridiculous/is, at best specious, at worst, simply a lie" or they ARE speaking out and the upper echelons are deafened by hubris.

@Louise0 I know- I've often wondered that about outrageously horrible ideas long before this. Like who first suggested "Hey, I've got a great idea, let's break all the bones in our 5 year old daughters' feet and bind them up so their feet stay 4 inches long and they can't walk and are in pain and suffer with constant infection for the rest of their lives" ???  No one said "Are you completely and utterly insane"?  Others actually agreed that it was a great idea?

No, this cannot be allowed to go forward. We must stop this initiative now.

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

well..some guest just want to send some help.. and AIRBNB is making easier to do it.. if some one wants to help you.. would you reject it.. is it the opt part guest?? or any previous guest that has stayed at our accommodation..  I believe is any one you have build some kind of relation ship or attachment to with in the platform.. will be count of eligible.. 

example: i say I'm thirsty.. you can send me 3 USD for a soda pop and tequila.. through the platform.. some thing like that .. 

hehhehehe

Jeffrey Bong

@Manasui0 If any previous guest wanted to financially help out a previous host, all they would have to do is message the host and offer. There's nothing difficult about that. For Airbnb to solicit donations from our previous guests is outrageously overstepping. Not only that, it's in extremely poor taste. 

@Sarah977 

If you put it as if they going to beg to the previous guest on behalf of the host (you and me). is true is really humiliating for the bagger and the one on behalf.. 

but just opening send money for non - booked guest related, too random people with in the community also is too simple.. 

Kinda make me confuse on what their true intention.. 

but may be is just as simple as it is.. they are trying to make it simple.. simplifying international transaction from different unknown origin banks and unknown clearing banks into the account holder.. into one simple act over AIRBNB.. I don't see why making it complex until different facts provide it self do any good.. since every body already is in flush down the toilet bowl like condition at the moment.. 

just saying 

no offence.. 

Jeffrey Bong
Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

they just forgot a strong reason for it to happen..

Jeffrey Bong
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

There are guests who have offered to help their hosts monetarily.  Airbnb probably caught wind of this and decided to provide a way to facilitate those transactions.  Airbnb didn’t intend to offend you, I’m sure.  I agree that an “Opt out” option would be a good enhancement for those who do not wish to participate.  

It is very uncomfortable to have my guests being asked for $$ donation for us as hosts. PLEASE I do not want to be in that list..