Refund discussion - no venting

Refund discussion - no venting

Hello community!

Many of us are feeling the burden of Airbnbs extenuating circumstances policy and at this time, there is not much more any of us can add to the conversation. So let's use this community to help us come together and share ideas. Let's keep the anger and disdain on the other conversation feeds, please.

I am starting to receive requests for full refunds for stays outside of the COVID window, and I am wrestling with how to handle these requests. I want to give everything back to everyone knowing that we can help lessen the spread but that is not possible. I have mortgages and bills to pay as well.

I would love to hear what others have been doing/saying to help maintain their business, help stop the spread AND be empathetic to the guest's situation.

Here are my thoughts and I would love to hear your constructive feedback:

1. Ask the guest if they purchased travel insurance;

2. Ask them to review my calendar and find dates further in the future they would like to change to (I worry they will realize if they move dates far enough, that they can cancel with a much lower penalty);

3. Maybe offer a 50/50 refund if they don't want to find other dates?

My understanding is that the airlines are NOT giving full refunds, but allowing guests to change their dates at no cost. I feel that as the travel industry, we should all be following a similar process for consistency. 

In reality, the Airlines and AIRBNB are the ones that will receive a bailout NOT us, so I feel like this would be a fair option to us little guys.

Lets please keep this constructive and helpful so we can get through this. 

Thank you all!

185 Replies 185
Angelina147
Level 1
Perth, Australia

AIRBNB have not given us a full refund for our reservation for accommodation in England for May 2020 under the exceptional circumstances clause for Covid 19.  We did not cancel this, the countries lockdown have cancelled all of our plans.  AIRBNB has withheld just shy of $250.00 AUS from us.  The Host have been wonderful and told us that they have not received any of the payment we made, and also felt we fell within the criteria of receiving a full refund.  I want to know  why we haven't received a full refund.  NO one has contacted us, other than to send us the details of our booking, payment and partial refund that we have received.  I would appreciate receiving an email or a phone call from AIRBNB explaining why they have only given us partial refund.  I also want the complete payment refunded.  This is unacceptable. 

Angy

A class action lawsuit is in order

Unfortunately @Susan3652 when you signed up for AirBnB, you agreed to the following section in the Terms of Service:

19.11 No Class Actions or Representative Proceedings. You and Airbnb acknowledge and agree that, to the fullest extent permitted by law, we are each waiving the right to participate as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class action lawsuit, class-wide arbitration, private attorney general action, or any other representative proceeding as to all Disputes. Further, unless you and Airbnb both otherwise agree in writing, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one party’s claims and may not otherwise preside over any form of any class or representative proceeding. If the “class action lawsuit” waiver or the “class-wide arbitration” waiver in this Section 19.11 is held unenforceable with respect to any Dispute, then the entirety of the Arbitration Agreement will be deemed void with respect to such Dispute and the Dispute must proceed in court. If the “private attorney general action” waiver or the “representative proceeding” waiver in this Section 19.11 is held unenforceable with respect to any Dispute, those waivers may be severed from this Arbitration Agreement and you and Airbnb agree that any private attorney general claims and representative claims in the Dispute will be severed and stayed, pending the resolution of any arbitrable claims in the Dispute in individual arbitration.

There may be a possibility of mass arbitration if all Hosts coordinate to arbitrate at the same time, but the Terms of Service include a clause that where you agreed not to bring a class action suit against AirBnB.

Alexander691
Level 2
Redwood City, CA

Hi guys, I’m in California and things have been really bad here, I have a stick cancellation policy and have given all future guest a message that says if they cancel as early as they can I will give them a full refund. But does anyone have a problem with the the superhost relief fund? I clearly qualify from the needed criteria and it just says that Airbnb will reach out to us and there are no links or applications and I can make it known that I qualify and need help. It’s like saying your pay check comes when it comes. I also own a small business and I have no employees and trying to figure out what forms to fill out and when I above my head. 

I just got my payment. Didn't realize it was 25% of the 50% expected. Wow, way worse than anticipated.

Very cool, really looking forward to June!

This is what the Airbnb  rep told me.

(415) 800-5959 this would be the best number to call if you’d like to cancel.
The rules for the virus don’t apply for June/July yet like wtf.. they don’t apply?? lol. And Airbnb holds the funds. if it was May then it would definitely be good to get full refund. But because it’s out in June/July I’m not sure, then the Airbnb rep told a guest to call me.. it’s not my responsibility. I don’t take credit cards and I don’t do transactions.. seriously Airbnb needs to figure this out.. 

Angela Rouse

I know how you feel our family reunion was suppose to be in July but got cancelled i was the hosting it and I am the only one at this point cant get a refund for my stay. But the VA park and recreation was nice enough to give me a full refund. Also upsets me my other family member got thier money back from thier host.  They need to figure it out people have lost thier jobs some people cant afford to travel also we have a lot of elders who cant take that risk of getting sick there is no cure yet 

Alp323
Level 2
İstanbul, Turkey

I am really disappointed with the refund policy of airbnb. i had my 9 reservations cancelled because of covid-19 but none of it is not applicable just because my cancellation policy was not "strict policy"

Somehow it means i've been punished by airbnb cause i was using moderate policy which the system pushes you to use over and over. Also my apartment had over %98 occupancy. I will be definately looking for another platform after all this virus situation ends.

Thanks, it was a good community

Richard1830
Level 3
United Kingdom

I'm looking for some advice.

I have a two week reservation on our Florida Villa (made before the 15th March) for the 18th June.

The guests have told me their airline has closed down and they can't make the trip. However they've asked me to cancel it for them since they know I can do this penalty free up until the 15th May.

I use a strict cancellation policy. If I don't cancel, I'm sure they will, but only get 50% of their money back...and I'll receive a much needed 50%

Thoughts?

UK based owner of Florida Holiday Rental

I wouldn't. 

David6850
Level 2
Huddersfield, United Kingdom

I'd advise them to wait as it's highly likely AirBnB will extend the current policy past 15th June check in dates. 

Gareth174
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi All,

I cancelled my trip two weeks ago for the 29th of May and requested a voucher for the remaining balance, however I have not received anything yet, any ideas?

Thanks from Gareth **

[personal details hidden]

Chrissy75
Level 2
Worcester, MA

I understand the host feeling but isnt the government helping on the financial end. I just fustrated because I was in charge of our family reunion this year buy was cancelled due to COVID19. Thank God VA Park and recreation was kind enought and gave me a full refund. But it seems I am the only one that is taking the biggest loss. Thier host were kind enought to refund them, but Im not that lucky, I know the reunion wasnt happing until July but people lost jobs, people are scared so the only thing we could do is cancel and i refund my family thier money but know I'm left out lossing almost $400.00.this whole things sucks. I will never take this risk again. Hotesl or stay with family for now on

Chrissy75
Level 2
Worcester, MA

I think I'm done with Airbnb I cant take any changes of losing my hard earned money when the situation is truly out of my controll. I have someone dare to me fighting for his life with the COVID19 my son just signed the Hospice papers. I am not will to travel and get sick. 

Rachel1593
Level 1
Secret Harbour, Australia

I am "guest" stuck" in this AIr BN Covid 19 cancellation policy and frankly it sucks for us too.

I understand your income is being hit too. 

But so is ours.  Why SHOULD we be slugged with NO REFUND because we can't travel due to circumstances beyond our control too?

I am in a back and forth game of email tennis with the host I booked with back in February before travel bans were announced. 

I made a reservation in Bali back in February before the international travel ban and before COVID 19 became a "big" thing.  I emailed the host in March when travel was banned to ask where I stood and was told they were only dealing with bookings up to May.  I emailed again on April 30th and was told still not looking at July bookings but I could amend it if I wanted to.

I emailed again this week to ask for a refund as no one knows when international travel can resume that

I can't really rebook it and I'd prefer to cancel it.  I was advised sure I can cancel it but I cannot have a refund of ANY of the money I have paid or I can still amend the booking but only have until May 23rd to do so.

Either way I LOSE and they WIN. Current COVID 19 policy only covers bookings made before March 13th with check in date before June 30th.  AIR BNB need to review and amend that policy since it is very clear that international travel will NOT be getting back to normal this year.