Refund discussion - no venting

Refund discussion - no venting

Hello community!

Many of us are feeling the burden of Airbnbs extenuating circumstances policy and at this time, there is not much more any of us can add to the conversation. So let's use this community to help us come together and share ideas. Let's keep the anger and disdain on the other conversation feeds, please.

I am starting to receive requests for full refunds for stays outside of the COVID window, and I am wrestling with how to handle these requests. I want to give everything back to everyone knowing that we can help lessen the spread but that is not possible. I have mortgages and bills to pay as well.

I would love to hear what others have been doing/saying to help maintain their business, help stop the spread AND be empathetic to the guest's situation.

Here are my thoughts and I would love to hear your constructive feedback:

1. Ask the guest if they purchased travel insurance;

2. Ask them to review my calendar and find dates further in the future they would like to change to (I worry they will realize if they move dates far enough, that they can cancel with a much lower penalty);

3. Maybe offer a 50/50 refund if they don't want to find other dates?

My understanding is that the airlines are NOT giving full refunds, but allowing guests to change their dates at no cost. I feel that as the travel industry, we should all be following a similar process for consistency. 

In reality, the Airlines and AIRBNB are the ones that will receive a bailout NOT us, so I feel like this would be a fair option to us little guys.

Lets please keep this constructive and helpful so we can get through this. 

Thank you all!

185 Replies 185

Unfortunately, AIRBNB is just pretending that they are helping us! They should cover at least 50% of our cancellation refund to split the loss with the hosts equally! They are just taking credit for absolutely no help to make us feel good.

Thomas407
Level 2
Boulder, CO

Am I missing something? I thought Airbnb would be covering the cancelled reservation by the Guest TO the Hosts? Airbnb will pay instead the Hosts instead. That's how I read it. Is this not happening?

Saun0
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

The Extenuating circumstances refund policy (reference 1) should result in all parties involved (AirBnB, hosts, and guests) share the burden of facing the pandemic, given that AirBnB is saying “We're truly in this together.” (reference 2).

Problem:

The major problem of the current Extenuating circumstances policy (reference 1), is that the hosts are carrying most (nearly all) of financial burden of a booking cancellation. For example, refunding a booking that worth $1,000 “pie” (including AirBnB service fees), the guest (in theory) gets refund of $1,000 (100% of the pie), AirBnB (in theory) loses all of the potential earning (less than $100), the host (in practice) loses all of the potential earning (more than $900).

In practice (reference 2), guests are

• refused refund

• offered to travel credit to use on your next trip

• imposed rigid rules: required to submit documentations without clear guidelines of the “valid” documentations on April 2, 2020, while 89.7% of US population are under shelter-in-place orders

• received inconsistent messages from AirBnB

• the refund criteria dates does not reflect the current status of the pandemic.  As of April 2, 2020, the policy says "Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made on or before March 14, 2020, with a check-in date between March 14, 2020 and May 31, 2020" (reference 1), while the CDC predicts that most (if not all) parts the US are on upward trajectory of the pandemic. 

Refusing refund is just wrong. Offering travel credit to a guest means AirBnB keep 100% of the potential earning, while the host is most like loses 100% of the potential earning of the booking. The is near zero chance of “next trip” is booked with the same host.

The airline analogy for refund credit is not very applicable for AirBnB because airlines have very different business model than AirBnB. A airline company owns the entire business; the travel (refund) credit is circulate back to the airline. AirBnB is a booking agency, similar to Ticket Masters, that does not own the properties. The hosts invests in the properties with real cost associated with listing the properties. Offing travel credit put hosts in a vast disadvantage position in the financial burden, while AirBnB carries zero risk. 

In short, an airline refunds 100% of the airline's money.  Morn than 90% of AirBnB's  refund, is the host's money. 

Solution:

Create a extenuating circumstances refund policy that result in all parties shearing the financial burden.

For example, (AirBnB, host, guest) lose (25%, 50%, 25%), or (30%, 30%, 30%). I am not suggesting the specific division is “fair”. I am suggesting creating a more equatable refund policy for all parties to hare the financial burden. The AirBnB 25% share of burden is inspired by A message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky (reference 3).

Simplify the the refund process by

- automating the refund process via AirBnB web site or app

- removed obstacles of refund process (e.g., eliminating supporting documentation)

- providing consistent refund execution

- dynamically adapting the refund criteria (e.g. dates) reflecting the current state of the pandemic.

References:

1. Extenuating circumstances policy and the coronavirus (COVID-19), https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1... as of April 2, 2020.

2. Service fees and our extenuating circumstances policy, https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Service-fees-and-our-extenuating-circumstances-policy/m-p/1... as of April 2, 2020

3. A message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky, https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-message

Joshua71
Level 3
Burnaby, Canada

Host behavior in this situation is just a reminder to go back to only staying in hotels. All three hotels I had booked for other trips refunded 100% with no hindrance. You aren't an airline, Brandon. You are a "hotel". Act like one. Amazing how many hosts want to run a "business" that doesn't have to meet any regulations, want 100% of the upside, and want 0% of the downside. Risk free business? Get out of here. Airbnb deserves to fail and many of the hosts deserve to lose their customer base. I can only hope more cities ban Airbnb. At least the hotels hold up their end. 

@Joshua71 You have entirely missed the point!

I for one am not a hotel! I am a private person sharing my private property with guests...

No other booking platform is refunding %100 to guests. They are honoring our booking policies...As they should.

@Joshua71 No, Airbnb's aren't "hotels". Sure, there are plenty of listings that may as well be hotels for all the personal attention you can expect. Maybe those are the sorts of listings you are used to. But there are plenty of home-share and on-site hosts who offer quite a different experience to staying in a hotel. 

This recession will put Airbnb under and us guests will all be better for it. Good riddance 

@Joshua71  Did anyone force you to book an Airbnb? I assume it was your choice- cheaper than a hotel room, perhaps? 

Never said it wasn't my choice. I certainly won't do it again and millions of others won't either. 

@Joshua71  Plenty of Airbnb hosts are graciously refunding their guests 100% during this COVID crisis without any argument or whining. Interesting that you so readily tar everyone with the same brush. 

@Joshua71 You'd think as a social psychologist you would have a bit more empathy than that.

Or is it possible you're using this as some sort of social experiment for your latest study, Perceptual Harmony in Judgments of Group Prototypicality and Intragroup Respect?

Glad you found my papers, Michael! Enjoy the read!

I'm thinking through how this would work. So...the traveler is given a credit to stay anywhere at a later date by Airbnb, then that person does just that stays somewhere else later...  How do both Hosts get paid? I'm trying to see how that would improve the host that got cancelled on situation?  There will not be money to pay both hosts?  My thinking is that it would have to be the same host. I actually moved several of my bookings out successfully by calling Airbnb for assistance but those in May will probably end up cancelling again anyway.  

Rodney11
Level 9
Toronto, Canada

Hey folks, lots of good ideas and discussion on this thread, here is my take.

I understand what AirBnB is doing with offering full refunds to guests. This pandemic is the very definition of a force majeure, so even if AirBnB offered some sort of travel insurance it would most likely be voided by the force majeure clause that is in every well written contract. Offering full refunds is AirBnB's PR move to ensure guests have a positive experience in a difficult time and continue to use the platform, which ultimately is good for hosts. I was not happy about the loss of income, but I was pleasantly surprised by the offer to compensate hosts 25% for bookings cancelled due to COVID-19, though I thought the check in cutoff date should have been end of August of Sept. Which AirBnB may still do if this situation drags on for longer.

I've accepted that the COVID-19 situation is going to be financially difficult for almost everyone in the world, not just AirBnB hosts, so I'll take whatever small amount of compensation I can get. I am not looking to debate that with anyone, merely stating that is what I have accepted in order to get on with how to proceed in this new reality.

Ultimately, the situation is what it is, no amount of griping is going to change it, so I'd like to share what I am doing to refocus my AirBnB business and what I, and hopefully other hosts, can do to mitigate future similar scenarios.

Once AirBnB rolled out their refund policy (around Mar 15), and it became evident that most countries would be imposing travel restrictions, I contacted all of my booked guests and requested they cancel their booking immediately for COVID-19 and I would approve a full refund, no matter their check in date. I did this in order to clear my calendar of bookings that I felt had a very low probability of being fulfilled. I have a strict cancellation policy, but I chose to offer refunds rather than play hardball as I:

a) Wanted to provide my guests with a positive experience that would hopefully encourage them or their family/friends to book with me in the future.

b) Clear my calendar of int'l travelers so I could shift my focus to local guests who are not yet subject to travel restrictions.

c) Suspect AirBnB will be extending the full refund cancellation window as this situation drags on, so I wanted to get out ahead of that eventuality.

I gave my booked guests until Mar 31 to cancel, after which I will start enforcing my strict cancellation policy. But even there, I will show some flexibility as the COVID situation is fluid and changing rapidly, so someone who books given today's situation may not be able to check in if new travel restrictions are in place before they arrive. 

I have changed my cleaning and guest access policies, procedures and protocols to try to stay in line with the best practices relating to COVID-19, and I update them as new information becomes available. I inform my guests of these updated protocols in the "Other Things to Note" section of my description. 

I have reduced my prices and extended my maximum stay to 61 days, in addition to offering a monthly discount, in order to cater to the needs of local guests, many of whom now find themselves between jobs and living spaces. I am fortunate to be located in Toronto with a large local population that still has a moderate level of freedom of movement, in a country that still allows a significant level of travel within its borders. I understand hosts in smaller centers and especially those in vacation destinations may find themselves in a more difficult situation with regards to their pool of potential guests due to the tight travel restrictions.

Over my 5 years of AirBnB hosting, it has moved from a side gig to about 1/3 to 1/2 of my annual income. The loss of income is going to have a significant impact on me, especially as I was laid off from my salaried employment due to the pandemic. Fortunately, I made the decision from the get-go to put aside 10% of my AirBnB income in low risk investments, mainly high a interest savings account, GICs and the like. I am also fortunate that the Canadian gov't has rolled out a program that pays $2,000/mth for the next 4 months to any citizen who can show they earned $5,000 in the past 12 moths, including self-employed and contract workers. They have also rolled out some programs offering interest free small business loans of up to $40K with 25% forgiveness if paid back by Dec 31, 2022. There are also programs at the provincial, municipal and local level that I am looking into. I encourage all hosts to look into any programs offered by their various levels of gov't to offset the financial impact of the COVID-19 restrictions. 

Between my savings, the local bookings I will get, the AirBnB refunds, any gov't programs I qualify for, my line of credit, and potentially cashing in my retirement fund early, I can probably survive 12-18 months without changing my current business model, until hopefully better times return. I am however not going to sit on my current business model and hope for the best. I plan on doing the following during the next 6 - 12 months: 

1. Secure funding and/or use my savings to do the renovations necessary that allow me to switch more easily between short-term and long-term rental models, depending on the market conditions.

2. Explore other listing platforms to spread my risk around various sources for guests, so I am not dependent on AirBnB exclusively for filling my listings.

3. Increase the amount of short-term rental revenue dedicated to my savings plan from 10% to 15%.

4. Renovate my long-term rental unit (not listed on AirBnB) in order to increase the asking price and reduce my reliance on revenue from short-term AirBnB rentals.

I know not all AirBnB hosts can do the above, but I think this situation has probably made us all consider how we can adjust the spaces we offer in order to respond to markets that may shift quickly.

I believe this situation is also an opportunity for AirBnB hosts to come up with a strategy for us collectively to mitigate the effects on our incomes of a sudden market downturn. This may be something like a co-op of hosts where you can opt in by directing 1% of your revenue to a fund that is then invested by a board, elected by the co-op members. Members experiencing significant income loss due to events out of their control could then be compensated from this fund, as long as they meet the criteria developed by the board, as directed by the co-op members. The advantage to this is there would be no force majeure clause as would exist in an insurance policy, and it would be directed by the AirBnB hosts themselves, not by AirBnB management. The downside is AirBnB may look at this as the backstop for hosts and not offer any compensation in the event of another COVID like event.

I'll sign off with one final note. At this time, many of us find ourselves with empty units and lots of time on our hands. I don't expect the situation to change any time soon. Now is the moment, if you can, to use those spaces and your time to help those in even more desperate situations than ourselves. While I following shelter-at-home directives, I am also currently volunteering at a local food bank and as a mover for a women's shelter that offers a program of free moving and storage for women looking to escape abusive home situations. I consider my forays from the house for these purposes to be essential travel. Both volunteer positions are coordinated with local authorities to ensure everything possible is done to meet COVID-19 precautions. I have also placed one of my rooms on the AirBnB Open Homes program in order to provide shelter to those who most need it, but cannot afford it at this time. I encourage all of you to contact your local charities to see how you can help in this time of global and local crisis.

Take care everyone, stay safe, stay healthy, practice physical distancing, wash those hands frequently and let's all make it through this together with as little damage as possible.

Hey Rodney:   

Question about this part: 

"c) Suspect AirBnB will be extending the full refund cancellation window as this situation drags on, so I wanted to get out ahead of that eventuality.

I gave my booked guests until Mar 31 to cancel, after which I will start enforcing my strict cancellation policy. But even there, I will show some flexibility as the COVID situation is fluid and changing rapidly, so someone who books given today's situation may not be able to check in if new travel restrictions are in place before they arrive."

There are two ways that refunds can occur.  Hosts can approve refunds.  Airbnb has twice overridden the Hosts cancellation policy and issue refunds under the extenuating circumstances clause. One is a voluntary refund. the other is involuntary. 

Do we know if Airbnb's promise of 25% recoupment to hosts applies to both scenarios?  If you voluntarily refund, do you still qualify for the 25% compensation from Airbnb?