The Superhost Relief Fund

Travis166
Level 2
Charleston, SC

The Superhost Relief Fund

Dear Airbnb Community:

I am trying to stay positive but I am struggling, so I am reaching out to you for support and solidarity.

I have been an Airbnb host for SEVEN years. I took a chance on Airbnb when people still didn't know it existed and thought that letting a complete stranger stay in my home was scary and an awful idea.

I have a 4.8/5 star rating, I have NEVER cancelled on anyone, I have a flawless response rate, and countless great experiences. I rely on Airbnb as my own small business to pay my mortgage as a single home owner.

I had been a "Superhost" consecutively since they launched the program until the end of last year.   lost my "Superhost" badge because I received two separate one-star retaliatory reviews from guests who abused my home.  One threw a party for 30 people and the other smoked in every room in the house despite it being a non-smoking listing.  I called them both out on it and received negative reviews for upholding my House Rules.

My initial thinking was "It's OK, I'll earn that status back later in the year and it will be fine."  Now, however, my not having the designation for the first time means that I will not be invited to apply to this "Superhost Relief Fund."

How is that fair at all that because I do not currently have a "Superhost Badge," for the first time I am not allowed to apply for a grant?

I am not reaching out for pity, but for solidarity.  Am I the only one feeling totally left behind by this?

I feel like Airbnb should support ALL of their long-term hosts, not just some select few based on arbitrary criteria.

Hope that you are all safe and well.

Love,

Travis

Charleston, SC

6 Replies 6
Cathy170
Level 3
Saint Paul Charlestown Parish, Saint Kitts and Nevis

I think that it is awful that AirBnb did not support you when guests did not follow your rules and took away your Super Host status.  I don’t rent my home, but I rent homes for my clients.  If I rented to people that threw large messy parties, or smoked in their homes, I would be fired.

I really think this has not been handled well at all.  I just became a super host as Covid happened and everyone cancelled their trips.  I had people willing to go for a credit to rebook, and then AirBnb offered complete refunds.  My homeowners have gone along with this, but it has been a huge hit on them plus loosing their day to day income, which I have lost as well.  

I hope things look up for you.

Cathy

Cathy Yearwood

Thank you so much, @Cathy170 !

I hope so too.  I feel like there are a lot of issues with the "Superhost" system; issues I would have never thought of until I lived what I have lived.  

I just wish that Airbnb would listen to this and actually work to rectify it.  Instead, I have had the door slammed in my face at every turn.   I know I am not in it alone.

Thank you for the words of support.

Travis

Cathy170
Level 3
Saint Paul Charlestown Parish, Saint Kitts and Nevis

I do hope things work out better for you.  I have been reading a lit, and I get the feeling they support travelers more than homeowners and property  managers.  I hope I am wrong, there needs to be a balance, and if someone misuses a property, they should be held responsible.  If not, Airbnb will have issues, as no one can afford to have their property abused.  I have read this from other owners, so I hope it changes.

Cathy Yearwood
Lauren422
Level 2
Michigan, United States

@Travis166 

Alright here's the #1 take away from AirBNB. They are insane. They are applying discriminatory rules based on cancellation policies, how many listings you have, whether you've achieved a certain status. I happen to have super host status but the taste left in my mouth by this company is one of utter disgust. 

Sorry you're going through this, if it makes you feel any better, no one will probably receive anything from AirBNB at all, despite them having billions of dollars. Sucks. 

@Lauren422 : 

PREACH. 

I just wish that they would actually be proactive and help people rather than scrambling and creating unjust initiatives! 

Thank you for the solidarity!

Travis

Pili10
Level 2
Balearic Islands, Spain

A mi me pasa lo mismo.  Nunca pensé que después de años de superhost me dejaran tirada de esta manera.  Una verguenza!!  Hay que denunciarlos!