U.S. government benefits for Coronavirus

Emily1159
Level 2
Pagosa Springs, CO

U.S. government benefits for Coronavirus

Very disappointed in Airbnb - are they are trying to tell us (hosts) that the tax relief package has something in it for us? It does not!  I have read the legislation details for my work as a tax accountant.  There is no relief for rental property owners, people whose primary or supplemental income comes from their vacation rentals, etc. The ONLY relief, and that is questionable because it is shown as a 'deferment' not a gift, is to folks who file a Schedule C treating their rental income as self-employment, or have 'employees', which most of us do not.  You could go through the tedious process of applying for a disaster loan, but that is not a replacement of lost income, and it must be paid back eventually.  If you've heard about the govt forgiving those loans, well yes, - if you keep all of your 'employees' on the payroll during this time.  Again, who of us has employees?  Airbnb, go back to Congress and lobby for our losses! Marriott and Hilton-type of lodging businesses and the airlines are getting all of it and we're getting zip. What a disgrace!  I am going to send a letter to my congressman, I hope others do as well.

PS - If you read this post in other sections of the Community, sorry - it took me a few tries to find this discussion group.

5 Replies 5
Andy173
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

There is  a large amount put aside for the Travek business.    We could be included in that,

Kathy899
Level 4
Hawaii, United States

Are hosts who rent out part of their homes part of the gig economy?  My state senator's newsletter said that the expanded unemployment insurance covered these people - even people who work for cash.  If hosts pay occupancy taxes on income, doesn't that substantiate the lost income?   

@Kathy899 Only if you report your income as business income (Schedule C) on your federal tax return.  Schedule E (rental property) is not part of the Payroll Protection Program.  Occupancy taxes have nothing to do with this; those are collected and paid in either situation, and those are local not federal anyway.

Uber and Lyft drivers use their cars to make money (and are covered by PUA).  Very strange that hosts who share their homes do not.  But thank you for explaining.  

If you report income as business income do you have to have a legal business name for your Airbnb listings?