Unbeliveable Host!!

Billur0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Unbeliveable Host!!

Hi All,

I hope you all are well,

Unbelievable!! We book a cabin before this Tier 4 situation and the host refuse to do refund and trying to get profit from this!!!

We live in Soho London and all you know we are in Tier 4 now. Government and Westminster Council said do not travel and leave Tier 4 especially to lower Tiers. Also host is not allowed to host us...

We asked him some advice last week, about the latest news about Covid-19 and he said, `I think we all have a duty to follow the government guidelines`..  After that Government announced Tier 4 and we sent him a message about refund or change the dates and he refused both!!  He said `you should made an insurance`.. 

Now we are talking with Airbnb support but as I understand he still refuses to do refund. Also he doesn`t want to change the dates because he said on his message ```If I was to offer you a free booking in the future there is a good chance that I would have had a booking from another guest over those dates that I give you leaving me out of pocket.``` UNBELIEVABLE, I can not believe a person trying to get profit from this kind of situation.. 

I need your advice please. What we should do? 

Thank you

Best Regards

36 Replies 36
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Billur0,

I can tell this is very frustrating for you.  You are not going to like hearing this, but it's unfair to assume the risk that your travel plans may be disrupted, but want to put the onus on the host to protect you from the lose.  I understand that you feel the host isn't being honorable, because he's not agreed to give you a refund or to reschedule your stay, but he wasn't wrong to state that you should have purchased travel insurance.  Since you didn't book a place with a flexible cancellation policy at the time of booking you agreed to the host's cancellation policy.  It has been widely publicized that there is likelihood to be sudden travel restrictions in every country.  As a result, these events are no longer covered under Airbnb's extenuating circumstances cancellation policy.

This is a hard lesson to learn, but you cannot expect the host to change the terms of the contract that you agreed to just because you didn't take appropriate steps to limit your risk.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

It's an unfortunate situation for sure, but I agree with @Debra300@Billur0., as you should have made yourself familiar with the terms of the cancellation policy. The possibility of your travel being disrupted is high during a pandemic. Why did you choose not to book a place with flexibility to cancel? You held dates on the hosts calendar, which blocked potential bookings that could have gone ahead. Now the host may not be able to fill those dates. You could ask the host if they would be willing to refund you if those dates get replaced with another booking.

Billur0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Colleen253  @Debra300 

We’re in the same country with the host!! They’re in Tier 4 too.  If we look at the issue with your point of view, the host shouldn’t open a booking while they were in Tier two 3 then !
If we were to look at the issue fairly, no one thought there could be a lockdown on the xmas  week. Also, the host's location has moved from Tier3 to Tier 4. Therefore, they are also forbidden to host guests, except we cannot go! For this reason, they need to make a full refund !! Even if we want to go according to the law, they are not allowed to welcome us. This cancellation is not arbitrary. Anyway, thanks to Airbnb, they solved  the problem. Now the host is making us full refund as it's supposed to be.

Louise916
Level 2
Luton, United Kingdom

I am in exactly the same position. I am shocked! Would not let me change the dates and refusing refund. Told me I should have cancelled when in Tier 3. I went from 2 to 4 in less than 24 hours. My cut off for full refund was 3pm Saturday. Beggars belief! Feel for you and us.

Billur0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi
I’m sorry to hear that. It’s really annoying. We contacted with Airbnb by phone. They were really helpful.
They wanted to see some documents from government’s website about lockdown, travelling and overnight stay. We sent the documents and the government’s website link. After they saw the lockdown rules by government, they solved the problem. Now the host is making us full refund as it’s supposed to be.
I think you should call Airbnb.
I hope you’ll find a solution 🙏🏻

Thank you so much. I have managed to phone and they are contacting my host. That will be a surprise! I still cannot believe the awful email I received from my host.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Billur0 

" Also host is not allowed to host us.."

Then contact Airbnb with proof the host is not allowed to host you.

The solution for such a host is mentioned here  (and maybe still can be forced by Airbnb) :

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/what-to-do-if-you-cant-host-due-to-covid-19-restric...

Billur0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi, yes we already contacted with Airbnb. Thanks to them, they solved the problem. We sent some documents from government’s  website about travelling and overnight stay. Now, the host is making us full refund as it’s supposed to be.

thank you for your helpful message.

@Emiel1 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Billur0 

Good to read it is resolved !

Although @Debra300 and @Colleen253 are perfecty pointing out the cancellation policy regarding COVID and the risks involved for a guest when making a booking in these pandemic times, it was clear to me your situation is different and the contract between you and the host must be considered as a "frustrated contract" (google it...). So the host and/or Airbnb now have recognized this too....

Louise916
Level 2
Luton, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for your support. I have phoned Airbnb. Managed to find a London number. Said host will have a surprise when they phone. I have had to cancel a second booking  in a differnt areaand they were lovely.

Billur0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I’m really glad to hear that 😊  @Louise916 

Have a lovely Christmas

Louise916
Level 2
Luton, United Kingdom

Thank you so very much. Happy Christmas!

Monika481
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi guys!we have the same situation with our host right now:(could you please tell me which number did you call to speak with Airbnb support?we can’t find any :(many thanks for you help!

Hope this helps  02033181111