Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

100 Billion Dollars!

Grace---Peter0
Level 2
Blackheath, Australia

100 Billion Dollars!

And not even an email to hosts to participate in the IP float, It's us hosts that he just made 100 Billion dollars off. Sad Sad Sad! 

11 Replies 11
Shefik1
Level 2
Tallahassee, FL

I agree. I feel disrespected. I risk my life opening my home to paying customers during the pandemic, but no benefit for my labor. @Grace---Peter0 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Frontline workers are the ones risking their lives everyday to care for people, bring us food, and keep our countries going. @Shefik1 

Hosts shouldn’t be ‘risking lives’ to stay open. If it’s not safe for you to host then don’t. Hosting is not an essential service. 

@Grace---Peter0 , Are you telling hosts not to have guests? 

We are hosting to strangers. Are you suggesting that we stop hosting frontline workers and other travelers? When they are exposed, they bring risk to our homes. I think you would be wise to NOT suggest that we stop hosting to frontline workers and others in need. 

Also, if the nurses and doctors, food delivery workers, first responders that we host are risking their lives, then by simple mathematics, you should understand that Airbnb hosts like myself are also risking their lives. 

You are quite dismissive of the real danger involved of income generator Hosts on Airbnb. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you are replying to me @Shefik1 

No what I am clearly saying is you shouldn’t host if you put yourself at risk i.e what you say you are doing; by offering a share home to frontline workers in a high risk Covid area.

frontline workers can stay in whole listings, hotels or other accommodation offered by their employers.

lots of hosts can continue to host - those in low risk areas such as New Zealand or hosts in high risk areas  such as the UK or US with whole listings.

you do not need to put yourself and your family at risk by opening up a home share situation. 

Grace---Peter0
Level 2
Blackheath, Australia

A salesman and money first, the pitch is, "he cares", really!
Can you imagine what a better company it would have been if all us hosts and guests had the opportunity to buy shares before the float, now that would have made a family. What a Tosser!

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Legally @Grace---Peter0 airbnb could only offer them to hosts in the US which they did. 

That wasn't Airbnb's call. It has to do with trading regulations. 

However, I do agree with you about the "we care so much about hosts" false rhetoric. It just doesn't happen to apply to this particular topic.

@Grace---Peter0

@Grace---Peter0 US hosts were offered a spot in the Directed Shares Program from Morgan Stanley to purchase UP TO 275 shares at $68 per share.  An email went out to ELIGIBLE hosts on 11/16.  A lot of hosts (15,000-19,000) were able to participate.  Some hosts asked for and received less shares.  That allowed more than the originally estimated 10,000 hosts.  A LOT were NOT able to participate for various reasons.

Sure, the process could have been better.  Hindsight, right?

Scott @ Sou4thATX

No one out side of the USA was offered, when they dam well could have. 86 % of Airbnbs are out side of the US. The IPO was just a trick so the VC's can get paid. I have a financial licence so I can comment. 

Grace---Peter0
Level 2
Blackheath, Australia

The underwriters and Brian could have delivered a share offering before the market, they could have allocated a set amount. But they grab the bag of money and ran to the finishing line without looking back and now they are celebrating.

Grace---Peter0
Level 2
Blackheath, Australia

The company is expecting to raise $3 billion in its public market debut on NASDAQ,  making it one of the largest IPOs of 2020. The company said that as of September 30, it had over 4 million hosts — including 86% of hosts located outside of the United States — with more than 7.4 million listings of homes and experiences.