2-step authentication - Local regulations

Elias54
Level 2
Reykjavik, Iceland

2-step authentication - Local regulations

I'm curious as why Airbnb is blatantly lying to its users?
I'm now required to set up 2-step authentication because "Local regulations require added security steps to help protect your account details.". I believe this to be a blatant lie, just like there's a requirement for sending in copy of passport because "Local regulations require" it. 

First of all, I do not like to be lied to. Secondly, I do not want nor do I like 2-step authentication for this service. For other services, maybey. And third, I do not want a copy of my passport lying somewhere on a server with which who knows has access to it or will break in to steal it.

My payouts which had been without hiccups for two years where suddenly stopped because of new "local regulations" which according to a friend had not been changed. And there's no reference anywhere to any regulations. I cannot look it up. They might just as well tell us the Earth is now flat because of… you guessed it,  "local regulations".

Where or when will this unnecessary collection of more and more personal information stop? And the lies that come with it?

Is this a time machine, is it really 1984 again?

Adding to this. There's a small button; "I'll do it later" but when I click on it, it brings me to either a phone call or text message verification. Trying the phone call I get the following message; "Get your code another way

We’re not able to send a passcode to +xxx ••• xxxx. Try another phone number or a different option to get your code."
I'm not able to receive messages at this number so basically I'm locked out of the payment section of the web and therefore my payments and my money.
Great little system. Or not.

16 Replies 16
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Elias54 I agree that Airbnb shouldn't blame 3rd parties for their actions. That said many legislations are clamping down on financial regulations so it may well be true.

I guess if you refuse to comply then you won't be able to use Airbnb anymore. If enough customers leave and it is an Airbnb created rule I am sure they will change the rule fairly quickly.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I could just as well accept to close my hosting account. Just to get my funds sitting on the account before it happens!

Elias54
Level 2
Reykjavik, Iceland

Shortly after I clicked a button to help resolve the 2 step authorization. Few hours later I recived a message my account was now open. So one nuisance away, one to go.

I went ahead and I've sent in photos of both my passport and drivers licence and some robot or AI is refusing them. No idea how to sort that dilemma!

Chris14085
Level 2
United Kingdom

I have asked them to give me the name of the regulator and the local regulations they refer to I have also told them that if I complete the process using the discover@airbnb.com email which I have never seen before that all of the dtails I input can be copied by spybot following which any funds due to me would go into the scammers bank not mine - I believe this request is erroneous, dangerous and unnecessary - if they do send me the name and address of the regulator requesting these local regulations I will be happy to contact them to see if it really is necessary and if it is then providing airbnb set up a better and more secure way of providing all my personal details in such a way that they cannot be copied then I will comply with the request- banks request passwords and pin numbers to access our accounts but airbnb is not a bank - for all we know these requests are coming from their AI without them even knowing 

Maria13828
Level 1
Haddiscoe, United Kingdom

I received this 2-step authentication email. I used the link, but did not receive any SMS or phone calls, but did receive two What’s App codes which when submitted, did not work. Is this a scam? Are any future payouts going to be directed elsewhere? 

Linda384
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Just noticed your email Maria. I’m in Stourbridge and I think it’s maybe a scam but it’s impossible to contact Airbnb to find out. Glad to see you think so too

Esteve11
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Airbnb email l

ooks totally scam 😕

I think it is very risky of them to do this in this way - if they want more security they must surely find a way of doing so without using the www - for example they could ask you to log into your account - which only you can do then access the additional 2 step from there - until they come back with better security I will not take the steps they suggest 

I got taken recently using the Garmin website - scammers - fortunately I got the payments I made back with the help of paypal - never again to trust a web page that is and looks identical to the original 

Airbnb should know better than this 

Linda384
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I’m in the UK and have just received a message in my inbox (it says it’s from Airbnb but it’s not through their site) requiring 2 step authentification. How do I know that this is from Airbnb? I don’t like giving personal details on the internet.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Linda384  @Maria13828 

The email I received is genuine, and is account update- after I enabled the 2 step authentication I went into my account settings to check- and that, as well as 3 new security questions have been updated and added.

Access to update the questions and 2 step authentication is via the pin that you set up during the process.

I’ve checked in with some other UK hosts and they’ve received the same mail and updated accordingly.

Paul 🙂

Actually I just completed this and am sure it is genuine - just add your own 6 digit pin and provide answers to 3 preselected security questions - am sure is will give our accounts added security 

OMG Paul how did you get to be a level 10 - you must be a god host 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Chris14085  Aha no, I just spend too much time here on the community centre- that’s what the levels refer to.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Elias54  

You said:

• I'm now required to set up 2-step authentication  because "Local regulations require added security steps to help protect your account details.". I believe this to be a blatant lie, .....

In Germany we are now all required to have a 2-step authentication process in place for online-banking, I already have it. I think there is a grace period, but this will end soon and then this requirement will be mandatory. I also believe that the 2 step requirement will be imposed to all inhabitants of the European Community.

I don't know any details of said regulation, but maybe the 2-step authentication is or will be required for all kinds of monetary transactions in the EU, so I think airbnb ist not lying here.

cc:  @Emiel1 @Chris14085 @Esteve11 @Paul1255