2-step authentication - Local regulations

Elias54
Level 2
Reykjavik, Iceland

2-step authentication - Local regulations

I'm curious as why Airbnb is blatantly lying to its users?
I'm now required to set up 2-step authentication because "Local regulations require added security steps to help protect your account details.". I believe this to be a blatant lie, just like there's a requirement for sending in copy of passport because "Local regulations require" it. 

First of all, I do not like to be lied to. Secondly, I do not want nor do I like 2-step authentication for this service. For other services, maybey. And third, I do not want a copy of my passport lying somewhere on a server with which who knows has access to it or will break in to steal it.

My payouts which had been without hiccups for two years where suddenly stopped because of new "local regulations" which according to a friend had not been changed. And there's no reference anywhere to any regulations. I cannot look it up. They might just as well tell us the Earth is now flat because of… you guessed it,  "local regulations".

Where or when will this unnecessary collection of more and more personal information stop? And the lies that come with it?

Is this a time machine, is it really 1984 again?

Adding to this. There's a small button; "I'll do it later" but when I click on it, it brings me to either a phone call or text message verification. Trying the phone call I get the following message; "Get your code another way

We’re not able to send a passcode to +xxx ••• xxxx. Try another phone number or a different option to get your code."
I'm not able to receive messages at this number so basically I'm locked out of the payment section of the web and therefore my payments and my money.
Great little system. Or not.

16 Replies 16
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ute42 

This is correct. It is called SCA (Strong Customer Authentication) and it is EU regulation.

For those who like something to read :

https://www.eba.europa.eu/regulation-and-policy/payment-services-and-electronic-money

Maria13829
Level 2
Heraklion, Greece

I am new here, I have also tried to do the 2-step authentication and I tried to creat my pin several times but is never accepted! Does anybody know why?? Thank you