50% refund policy is misrepresented by Airbnb

Jeremy739
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

50% refund policy is misrepresented by Airbnb

Airbnbs cancellation policy is clearly stated in my booking YET buyer beware for it is not accurately represented:

1. Full refund within 48 hours less service fee

2. 50% refund prior to X date less service fee

And it goes on to advise when I will not get a refund. All this is a clear, simple statement in my booking. 

We made a booking in June 2021 for Feb 2022 with the aforementioned cancellation policy. I put half down ($890) with the balance due about two weeks prior to the trip. 

We made the difficult decision to cancel in advance of date X and well before the final payment was due. 

I was beyond shocked when my “50% refund” worked out to $57 on an $890 payment. 

More curious is my itemized listing from Airbnb of my “fully refundable” amounts which include cleaning fee ($47) and taxes ($260). 

Here is the misrepresentation by Airbnb (*this has NOTHING to do with my host and ONLY with Airbnbs grossly misleading policy statement):

My accommodation refund is based on the total amount of my booking, EVEN THE MONEY I NEVER PAID!  So that same itemized receipt of my “refund” reads “$644 of $1289 PAID.”

Why is this relevant? Because then Airbnb calculates my “refund” on a total I never paid. Having paid half up front on a stated - not presumed, but clearly stated - 50% refund policy I have a good faith basis to expect a few hundred dollars. Fifty percent of what I paid, less service charges. Keep my service charge! I get it… it’s an embedded cost of business. But to then communicate to me “we’re good because your 50% is already calculated! You don’t owe us anymore money so there’s your refund!” is an insult. It is dishonest. It is misleading. Moreover you are refunding my taxes on money I paid you?? How does that make sense?

That’s not a refund. That’s you keeping my money. Be transparent about it. I do not expect to get $890 back. I do expect honesty and integrity on a stated “50% refund prior to date x”. 

Consider this, Airbnb:

- I see a shirt I like in my size for $100. I am asked to put a payment down to hold the shirt, and am told I will get a 50% refund prior to a certain date

- I decide I don’t want this shirt and go back to the retailer to tell them they need no longer hold the shirt

- I respectfully ask for my 50% refund

- The retailer says “no problem! We’re done and you’re all good.”

- They keep my money, because the shirt cost $100 and I gave them $50 which is 50%. So they don’t owe me anything

Airbnb, this is shameful. Your “resolution centre” only directs me back to my trip cancellation policy. Which is 50%. How you can justify this is beyond me. Calculating my refund on money I never paid you is not a refund. It’s a lost deposit. Call it that. 

I await your explanation and more importantly I ask that you add transparency to consumer communications. Because now you are being dishonest and opaque at best. 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jeremy739  This is a discussion forum for hosts and guests, not Airbnb customer service.

As with all contracts, it's important to thoroughly read all the terms beforehand. 

Airbnb cancellation policies state that they are based on the total nightly rate of the listing, not on however much you paid upfront. It isn't anyone else's fault that you failed to read that part.

If you are due back 50%, but you only paid 50% to start with, then obviously you are not owed anything further.

The pay half up front option is simply a convenience to guests, so they don't have to come up with the entire booking payment at once. It is unrelated to the cancellation policy, and is not a way of getting more money back for a cancelled booking than someone who pays the entire booking cost upfront.

Why do you think you should lose less money than another guest who opted to pay the entire shot to start with? How would that be fair?

You aren't the only guest who has misunderstood this, so I agree that Airbnb could make this clearer to guests, but in fact the info is there if you bother to read it.